Author Topic: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]  (Read 1992509 times)

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
Re: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]
« Reply #2200 on: April 16, 2018, 09:33:30 »
The sample questions are just to show you the types of questions that are on it. The cfat has harder questions and is timed. The problem solving is based on grade 10 math.

Some find it easy, some do not. You will find out when you write it.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline DawsonR1995

• Rate Post
CFAT
« Reply #2201 on: April 16, 2018, 16:34:59 »
This is a dream of mine to join the army, and I can’t let Math be the reason I’m not able to become a member.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: CFAT
« Reply #2202 on: April 16, 2018, 16:41:34 »
This is a dream of mine to join the army, and I can’t let Math be the reason I’m not able to become a member.

This may help,

"what type of math is on the aptitude test?":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=106898.0

"Math questions on the test":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,30895.0/nowap.html

"CFAT Math Problem Solving": 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=91357.0

"Not the best at math..":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=107441.0

"CFAT Math + other question": 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=80466.0

"How does one 'relearn' math?":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=26449.0

"I suck at math (CFAT worries)":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=65081.0

"If you need help in Math for the CFAT":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,60947.0/nowap.html

?MATH?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=109763.0

etc...

Offline Coombs438

• Rate Post
« Reply #2203 on: April 22, 2018, 03:48:52 »
Hey !
I write my CFAT test Monday and have using an aptitude prep app to help study. I did level 3 physicsl, math and chemistry in high school and got my diploma in Chemical Process Engineering Technology about a year ago. I applied for Combat Engineer NCM.
Does anyone have any advice on what to focus on most when preparing ? And also do different trades need different scores to be considered good (pass/fail)

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #2204 on: April 23, 2018, 14:33:11 »
Do different trades need different scores to be considered good (pass/fail)
Yes, this is why there isn't a pass/fail to the CFAT - rather an aptitude cut off for the various occupations within the CAF.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #2205 on: April 27, 2018, 18:43:27 »
Good day everyone,

I thought I’d chime in on this thread because I think I can help a few out who may have failed their first or second CFAT.

I haven’t seen too many people on here who have been given a 3rd rewrite. I just wanted to say that it is possible to get a third try because I have mine on Wednesday (May 2nd; and I say that in a non bragging way). While I’m anxious to get it done as I have been studying for 1-2 hrs a day, everyday since March 11th (when I was approved) and am much more prepared than I was the second time and more so than the first. Much of my preparation has included CDN forces approved CFAT practice books courtesy of the BPSO. To those of you who have failed the CFAT it’s okay, there’s no need to get overly stressed about it because you can get a second and third chance.

On a final note, I don’t care if you’ve aced every math course in high school or university, but please do your research into what kinds of math you’ll see on the test and attempt a few complex math questions because it truly does help. I’m going into my third attempt with far more knowledge and strategies that I will use on the test than I had before. Thank you and good luck to everyone with your future testing.
Man, if you knew how short life was and how fast it can be snatched away from you, you wouldn’t waste one second doing anything that didn’t bring you absolute enjoyment. Period!
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #2206 on: May 03, 2018, 11:44:49 »
I thought I’d chime in on this thread because I think I can help a few out who may have failed their first or second CFAT.

To those of you who have failed the CFAT it’s okay, there’s no need to get overly stressed about it because you can get a second and third chance.

There is no such thing as "failing" or "passing" the CFAT.  I have stated in the past and I will continue to do so, it's an aptitude test - it's to test your aptitude towards various occupations in the CAF.  It's not that you failed the test, it's that you didn't meet the threshold for any occupations that the CAF offers.

Best of luck on you rewrite.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #2207 on: May 07, 2018, 20:04:12 »
There is no such thing as "failing" or "passing" the CFAT.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Man, if you knew how short life was and how fast it can be snatched away from you, you wouldn’t waste one second doing anything that didn’t bring you absolute enjoyment. Period!
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2208 on: May 07, 2018, 20:34:32 »
Interesting attitude, when communicating with an actual Recruiter...

I await your tales of similar statements to DS on your courses should you pass attain the necessary score for your chosen occupation(s) and make it in.

Offline luttrellfan

• Rate Post
« Reply #2209 on: May 08, 2018, 13:46:48 »
Interesting attitude, when communicating with an actual Recruiter...

I await your tales of similar statements to DS on your courses should you pass attain the necessary score for your chosen occupation(s) and make it in.

I see where you're coming from Loachman. I guess with the past few years of going through this process of studying and attempting the CFAT(s) I've formed a different opinion on how I view the test than other people. I didn't mean any disrespect with my reply to Buck_HRA I just see it differently.

Take care.
-   Marcus Luttrell

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2210 on: May 08, 2018, 18:58:21 »
Roger, and, yes, I understood.

The concept of "Pass" and "Fail", in this situation, will vary with the points of view of different people. To the applicant who does not attain the required score for his/her desired occupation(s), or even for entry, "fail" is a natural term to use, as is "pass" for successful applicants. I would not call that interpretation wrong.

The Recruiter's  - and CF's - point of view has already been explained.

The vision of a Recruit telling an Instructor "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree", however, was most amusing.

In any case, I hope that you succeeded this time around.

Offline stellarpanther1

• Rate Post
« Reply #2211 on: June 08, 2018, 23:09:17 »
Are required CFAT scores the same for the Reg Force?  If a person joins the Reserves in a particular trade and later wants to CT to the Reg force in the same MOSID, will they be required to re-write the CFAT?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #2212 on: June 12, 2018, 09:27:47 »
Are required CFAT scores the same for the Reg Force?  If a person joins the Reserves in a particular trade and later wants to CT to the Reg force in the same MOSID, will they be required to re-write the CFAT?

The CFAT Occupation Generator doesn't make a distinction between Reg & PRes.  The only difference is Language & NCM vs Officer.
I've never heard of someone who is CT'ing to the same occupation having to rewrite a CFAT and I've processed a good number of CT's through the years.

This is not gospel; I'm not a PSO/TDO - someone in one of those occupations might have more insight than I do.

Offline Shanny_deee

• Rate Post
« Reply #2213 on: June 21, 2018, 13:51:15 »
Hey all! Its my first time posting, I am in the application process for the Navy. I took the CFAT twice, applying for Intelligence Officer but both times my score was not high enough. The first time round, I was given a list of other trades I was eligible for and the second time I was told, based on my scores I was only eligible for 2 trades. I am not sure if I bombed the 2nd time really bad, to the extent that I can only be considered for anything else.(I was super nervous) Also, they told me, that I can re-take the exam a third time but that I require to take a course. Does anybody know what the courses are? Are they taken with an outside institution, for example: University, college, or does the Forces have their own course? Im extremely confused about this process, if anyone can shed light on this for me, Thanks!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2214 on: June 21, 2018, 18:23:34 »
Also, they told me, that I can re-take the exam a third time but that I require to take a course.

You may find these discussions of interest,

CFAT - Third Time
https://www.google.com/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&ei=8yUsW9cZhaKPBOelkNgB&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+cfat+%22third+time%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+cfat+%22third+time%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...21565.26646.0.26945.7.7.0.0.0.0.102.553.6j1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.wboMZuXWHoQ

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date, information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 18:31:34 by mariomike »

Offline jaqen

• Rate Post
« Reply #2215 on: July 04, 2018, 22:29:07 »
Just had and passed CFAT today and it was harder than expected even after reading the forums.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 22:06:55 by jaqen »
CFRC: London
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO), Regular Force
Trade: Pharmacy
Application Date: 06/2/18
First Contact: 06/4/18
CFAT: 07/04/18
Medical: 08/14/18 need supplemental info
Interview: 08/14/18 passed
Medical supplemental: TDB
PLAR: TBD

Offline Schwartzie55

• Rate Post
« Reply #2216 on: July 05, 2018, 05:03:55 »
Jaqen, you shouldn’t be writing about content of the CFAT. You took an oath just before writing it, it’s confidential.

Offline Rampo

• Rate Post
« Reply #2217 on: July 05, 2018, 05:11:57 »
I think it's fine. Jaqen didn't write about any contents of the CFAT. It may be a concern for recruiters if he wrote about the vocabulary in the exam or the type of math questions (which already are given in the armed forces recruiting website).

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #2218 on: July 06, 2018, 12:43:58 »
What was written is fine.
You cannot give examples of the questions. 
And while there are apps and examples out there, they are examples not the actual material.

This is a non-issue.

Offline FutureSoldier92

• Rate Post
« Reply #2219 on: July 20, 2018, 19:49:04 »
I recently completed my CAF aptitude test last Monday, July 16, 2018.

For those wondering, the actual aptitude test was much more difficult than the samples provided (as stated right on the practice aptitude test). The sample is simply there to give you an idea about the structure of the exam, not the actual difficulty level (so keep this in mind when preparing).

In regards to the pass/fail questions I've read regarding the aptitude test, the Sergeant I spoke with following completion of the aptitude test informed me that the test is normalized and your score is placed on a bell curve. What this means is that your raw score DOESN'T mean anything, but it is compared to the overall average of every applicant to the Canadian Armed Forces. Thus, the average is in the middle of the bell curve, and given the designation as the 50th %ile. This means that you are right in the middle of the spread (50% of people scored higher, 50% scored lower). So in that sense, there is no "pass or fail". However, your normalized score will have an impact on a variety of factors. Firstly, if you score significantly lower, your application will be less competitive compared to your peers who scored higher overall. Additionally, certain occupations require specified values. If you are lower than the designated value, you will not be eligible for the occupation you applied for.

This was my understanding of it anyway. Hopefully that makes sense and clears things up for some of you.

Best of luck, everyone. Study hard and hopefully i'll see you at BMQ in the months to come.

Cheers,

B

Offline MPC

• Rate Post
« Reply #2220 on: August 01, 2018, 19:45:25 »
Did my CFAT today and I qualified for all NCM positions and also for Officer.

I didn't expect that.. I'm a 32 y/o mom and my grade 10 math is way behind me. But I did study. I took the test in English and it's not my first language (French is) but still scored an "Above Average" for verbal skills.

Overall, the test was somewhat challenging. Some questions are much harder than others. If you're still wondering, the practice test is a good indicator of the type of questions you might encounter. Don't skip any, if you're not sure just pick something.

Also only 3 people including myself got to do their medical afterward.. Which means that only 3 of us (we were 9 total) successfully passed.

Hope that helps.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #2221 on: August 01, 2018, 21:28:47 »
Also only 3 people including myself got to do their medical afterward.. Which means that only 3 of us (we were 9 total) successfully passed.

That doesn't mean the other 6 didn't pass.  There are only so many people that can be processed by medical at a time.  There could have been other appointments on the schedule; or the people who didn't do their medical could have had other commitments making it so that they couldn't stay.  Keep in mind that not everyone does same day processing.

End State: to everyone on this board, don't get nervous based on that statement; however also don't get "over confident" thinking you'll "do fine".  If you want to join the CAF; prep for the CFAT - that's the biggest "hurdle" at getting in.

Offline MPC

• Rate Post
« Reply #2222 on: August 02, 2018, 08:58:51 »
Oh but the MCpl said that only the applicants that would successfully complete the CFAT would go on to the next part (medical) right after. That's how we knew. Only 3 of us were left. I'm not saying that it works that way for every cfrc, that's just my own experience at that particular location.

Your last statement is 100% right. People should prepare. I did study a lot before going in and that helped tremendously.

Good luck everyone!

Offline Schwartzie55

• Rate Post
« Reply #2223 on: August 02, 2018, 13:16:17 »
There is a CFAT Trining app that is really helpful. I believe you can get it through the App Store for about $7 or close to that. It reflects the CF sample but more difficult.

Offline Jackal2018

• Rate Post
« Reply #2224 on: August 07, 2018, 15:38:36 »
There is a CFAT Trining app that is really helpful. I believe you can get it through the App Store for about $7 or close to that. It reflects the CF sample but more difficult.

I can vouch for this app.

It doesn't get everything exactly like the actual test, but it's much closer than anything else I've found online. Price was decent for what you get too.

I would say one of the most important things to be watchful for is the time remaining. Always check how much time you have because you could easily get lost in a single question and then have no time to answer the rest.
You can always come back to a question, at least put any answer then come back to it if you have time after the others.