Author Topic: Irish Music  (Read 511 times)

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Irish Music
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:47:54 »
I dont understand Irish but I like this Irish group that sings in Gaelic its called Seo Linn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzXswoAUi0U

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Irish Music
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 12:23:55 »
Since I identify as "Irish" in terms of ancestry and heritage, I like a nice bit of the folk singing.  It's good to accompany an evening of drinking.  Though you may be pleased with the melody, the sentiment of the lyrics may confound you.  A hundred years ago, it is reputed to be a popular song for those whose goal was to force the English from their country by violence.  A little like enjoying whatever cultural touchstone a Taliban embraces (though they supposedly don't accept music or dancing or any of the fun stuff) but deploring the terrorism aspect.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 14:09:03 »
Much of the Irish migration was due to the British rule of Ireland and famine. But I did like the tune. The Irish made a real contribution to US history and we are the better for it.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 14:14:58 »
A less controversial tune Creggan White Hare by another artist I have discovered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPI_tHNjS78

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 14:31:18 »
Much of the Irish migration was due to the British rule of Ireland and famine. But I did like the tune. The Irish made a real contribution to US history and we are the better for it.

And here in Canada as well. At the time of the Confederation that established the Dominion of Canada, the second largest ethnic group, after the French, was the Irish. Unfortunately both the Catholic and Protestants brought their religious animosity with them, and it only really large faded away in the last quarter of the 20th century. Tomorrow the 12th of July, so we shall see how many Orangemen surface.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 14:55:30 »
As a lad we lived in Korea and I remember seeing the neighbors get together to meet 2 IRA priests that were visiting. At the time I thought it odd that Army officers would sit down with them but we werent catholic so imagine it was surreal for them as well. The post commander, a Colonel was catholic I think. He ended up getting fired by the CG for something related to his job as commander. Nice guy but maybe it was karma. He ended up being reassigned as advisor to the Ohio National Guard where he ended his career.