Author Topic: US Gov't Report on Hazing in Military  (Read 636 times)

Online milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
US Gov't Report on Hazing in Military
« on: July 21, 2019, 11:54:41 »
Congressional Research Service report on reported hazing in the U.S. military (tight 3-pager), updated this week, with some excerpts also attached ...
Initiation customs have long been part of the culture in the United States Armed Forces as a method to welcome new members and mark rites of passage. However, several high-profile incidents have raised congressional concern that some of these traditions maysubjectservice members to harmful or humiliating acts.

Hazing may pose a threat to trust, cohesion, safety, and the health of members of the Armed Forces. Congress has oversight of this issue under Article 1, Section 8 of the U.S. Constitution,which grants Congress the authority to raise and support armies, provide and maintain a navy, and to make rules relevant to their organization and discipline. Therefore, anunderstanding ofthe context of this issue and recentactions taken to counteract itmay help Congressdecide whether toaddress hazing in the militarythrough oversight and legislation ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: US Gov't Report on Hazing in Military
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 12:12:21 »
"Initiation customs have long been part of the culture in the United States Armed Forces as a method to welcome new members and mark rites of passage."

No branding?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgSS7gRDPTg

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 12:26:42 »
A somewhat shallow report which itself admits that statistics being difficult to compare based on differing reporting methods. The "Recommendations for Congress" high-lite these problems. As an example, the statistics seem wonky (yup. it's a legal term). How can there be a report of 9% hazing within the Army but only one unsubstantiated and seven pending claims? The Recent legislation section appears to high-lite as well legislation that is designed to correct poor data, however, some of these items are several years old but it would appear that based on the current report the services are not taking the issue seriously.

(As an aside the higher number of Marine reports could be indicative of better reporting and not just a higher prevalence. No idea about the Air Force, but the Army and Navy are most probably seriously under-reporting.)

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 15:27:06 »
I experienced hazing or bullying first hand in the 70's. While it was unpleasant I think it toughened me up and made me a better soldier. I am not sure that a US kid could tough it out. Basic training was bad for some. A soldier in the bunk above mine attempted suicide with a rifle cleaning brush. He would have done an easier job of it had he tied a bedsheet to his neck and jump off our 2d floor fire escape. Pretty sad.