Author Topic: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)  (Read 184238 times)

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
Re: All things Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
« Reply #3125 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:27 »
I wonder what long term effects, if any, there will be on young survivors?

Physical, mental or cultural?
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

"If change isn’t allowed to be a process, it becomes an event." - Penny Mordaunt 10/10/2019

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards” ~ Soren Kierkegaard

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #3126 on: June 28, 2020, 11:54:55 »

I suspect he's talking about physical, but the other two are interesting questions in their own right.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3127 on: June 28, 2020, 12:10:24 »

Physical.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3128 on: June 28, 2020, 12:39:51 »
I wonder what long term effects, if any, there will be on young survivors?

A much redacted quick answer.  More details in this article, but have not yet found peer reviewed journal articles (my preferred references) that encapsulate the same information.

The emerging long-term complications of Covid-19, explained
“It is a true roller coaster of symptoms and severities, with each new day offering many unknowns.”
https://www.vox.com/2020/5/8/21251899/coronavirus-long-term-effects-symptoms
By Lois Parshley  Updated Jun 12, 2020, 3:31pm EDT

At first, Lauren Nichols tried to explain away her symptoms. In early March, the healthy 32-year-old felt an intense burning sensation, like acid reflux, when she breathed. Embarrassed, she didn’t initially seek medical care. When her shortness of breath kept getting worse, her doctor tested her for Covid-19.

Her results came back positive. But for Nichols, that was just the beginning. Over the next eight weeks, she developed wide and varied symptoms, including extreme and chronic fatigue, diarrhea, nausea, tremors, headaches, difficulty concentrating, and short-term memory loss.

“The guidelines that were provided by the CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] were not appropriately capturing the symptoms that I was experiencing, which in turn meant that the medical community was unable to ‘validate’ my symptoms,” she says. “This became a vicious cycle of doubt, confusion, and loneliness.”

An estimated 40 to 45 percent of people with Covid-19 may be asymptomatic, and others will have a mild illness with no lasting symptoms. But Nichols is one of many Covid-19 patients who are finding their recovery takes far longer than the two weeks the World Health Organization says people with mild cases can expect. (The WHO says those with severe or critical cases can expect three to six weeks of recovery.)

Because Covid-19 is a new disease, there are no studies about its long-term trajectory for those with more severe symptoms; even the earliest patients to recover in China were only infected a few months ago. But doctors say the novel coronavirus can attach to human cells in many parts of the body and penetrate many major organs, including the heart, kidneys, brain, and even blood vessels.

“The difficulty is sorting out long-term consequences,” says Joseph Brennan, a cardiologist at the Yale School of Medicine. While some patients may fully recover, he and other experts worry others will suffer long-term damage, including lung scarring, heart damage, and neurological and mental health effects.

The UK National Health Service assumes that of Covid-19 patients who have required hospitalization, 45 percent will need ongoing medical care, 4 percent will require inpatient rehabilitation, and 1 percent will permanently require acute care. Other preliminary evidence, as well as historical research on other coronaviruses like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), suggests that for some people, a full recovery might still be years off. For others, there may be no returning to normal.

There’s a lot we still don’t know, but here are a few of the most notable potential long-term impacts that are already showing up in some Covid-19 patients.

Lung scarring . . .

Stroke, embolisms, and blood clotting . . .

Heart damage . . .

Neurocognitive and mental health impacts . . .

Childhood inflammation, male infertility, and other possible lasting effects
The novel coronavirus continues to frustrate scientists and patients alike with its mysteries. One of these is a small but growing number of children who recently began showing up at doctors’ offices in Britain, Italy, and Spain with strange symptoms, including a rash, a high fever, and heart inflammation.

On May 4, the New York City Health Department noted that at least 15 children with these symptoms had been hospitalized there, too. These cases present like a severe immune response called Kawasaki disease, where blood vessels can begin to leak, and fluid builds up in the lungs and other major organs. Although only some of these children have tested positive for Covid-19, Russell Viner, president of the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health, told the New York Times, “the working hypothesis is that it’s Covid-related.” . . .

What all of this means for survivors and researchers
As all this preliminary research shows, we are still in the early days of understanding what this virus might mean for the growing number of Covid-19 survivors — what symptoms they might expect to have, how long it might take them to get back to feeling normal (if they ever will), and what other precautions they might need to be taking.    . . . .
+300
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3129 on: June 28, 2020, 16:22:29 »
I never thought I would see this but during a Press Conference today, VP Pence and others and are now strongly urging American's to wear masks.  Broward County, FL is closing it's beaches.  Even the Gov of Florida was wearing his mask and is facing pressure to issue a statewide mandate.

I know some will disagree with me on this but I think we should be doing that in this country as well.  From what I hear from some CAF mbr's not all bases are enforcing the mask rule or social distancing rules as good as others.  A buddy in North Bay told me that they are doing next to nothing their with the exception of reduced hours and more working from home.  When they are in the office they have no plexiglass, people walk up to the counter as usual, no hand sanitizer etc.  They have masks but don't wear them because not everyone does and they don't want to look stupid in front of their co-workers.  Leadership clearly needs to step up.

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #3130 on: June 28, 2020, 16:37:09 »
I never thought I would see this but during a Press Conference today, VP Pence and others and are now strongly urging American's to wear masks.  Broward County, FL is closing it's beaches.  Even the Gov of Florida was wearing his mask and is facing pressure to issue a statewide mandate.

I know some will disagree with me on this but I think we should be doing that in this country as well.  From what I hear from some CAF mbr's not all bases are enforcing the mask rule or social distancing rules as good as others.  A buddy in North Bay told me that they are doing next to nothing their with the exception of reduced hours and more working from home.  When they are in the office they have no plexiglass, people walk up to the counter as usual, no hand sanitizer etc.  They have masks but don't wear them because not everyone does and they don't want to look stupid in front of their co-workers.  Leadership clearly needs to step up.

If they worked in Wellington County they'd be parading in front of the Public Health boss.    And as one of the lucky ones at my old workplace I can say DON"T BE FRIGGIN' STUPID!!….I watched how fast, and hard, big strong men and women were brought to their knees.  Take it serious in the workplace.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3131 on: June 28, 2020, 16:47:27 »
If they worked in Wellington County they'd be parading in front of the Public Health boss.    And as one of the lucky ones at my old workplace I can say DON"T BE FRIGGIN' STUPID!!….I watched how fast, and hard, big strong men and women were brought to their knees.  Take it serious in the workplace.

That's what should happen.  I'm surprised how many people still don't take this serious and treat it like it's a joke.  I don't even find wearing a mask that big a deal.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3132 on: June 28, 2020, 19:24:40 »
Considering there's no active cases for that entire health unit https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/health-topics/covid-19-cases.asp, I can see why people wouldn't take it seriously. No excuse for not doing simple things like hand sanitizer and some cheap plexiglass at service counters though.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3133 on: June 28, 2020, 22:03:10 »
Considering there's no active cases for that entire health unit https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/health-topics/covid-19-cases.asp, I can see why people wouldn't take it seriously. No excuse for not doing simple things like hand sanitizer and some cheap plexiglass at service counters though.

I see it in Ottawa though also.  I recall seeing a Frag O or letter or something from the CDS a couple months ago directing that masks are to be worn at work when proper distancing can't be maintained and also that all CAF mbr's to wear them when in public for thing such as getting groceries.  I'm surprised how many are not following that.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
« Reply #3134 on: June 29, 2020, 13:35:28 »
Ontario reports significant spike in new COVID-19 cases

Ontario health officials reported a significant rise in the number of COVID-19 cases in the province, with a majority in the Windsor-Essex region.

An additional 257 new infections were confirmed on Monday, up from 178 reported on Sunday, 160 reported on Saturday and 111 on Friday.

Ontario Health Minister Christine Elliott announced on Monday that 177 of the new cases were from the Windsor-Essex region and 80 new cases were from the rest of the province, including 40 in Peel Region.

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-reports-significant-spike-in-new-covid-19-cases-1.5004101

Coronavirus on ‘steady decline’ in Canada, latest modelling data shows

Canada is seeing a “steady decline” in new coronavirus cases despite recent outbreaks across the country, according to new modelling from the federal government.

Chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam offered an updated picture of the current COVID-19 pandemic facing Canada, which included new modelling and estimates on the number of cases and deaths.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7120573/coronavirus-steady-decline-canada-data-modelling/
Recruiting Centre: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018
OFP: December 2019

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #3135 on: June 29, 2020, 14:07:32 »
I'm sure we will see more of a spike as things open up......just as long as that spike stays somewhat contained, unlike our friends to the south.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3136 on: June 29, 2020, 14:56:08 »
IMO, it's going to continue spiking because people are not doing the little things like wearing a mask, washing their hands when they come out of the stores etc or have the attitude that it's not that bad here or no cases here so I don't need to wear a mask.  Are people forgetting that a lot of people are Asymptomatic but can still spread it.   

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3137 on: June 29, 2020, 16:43:48 »
I'm sure we will see more of a spike as things open up......just as long as that spike stays somewhat contained, unlike our friends to the south.
Most of Ontario is stage 2, and positive tests dropped despite getting 27-31K tests done every day. We're also weeks after people crammed beaches and protested in the streets. If Ontario doesn't move to stage 3 exempting Peel, Toronto, and Windsor/Leamington this week, ill start changing my mind on Ford's handling of the outbreak so far.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #3138 on: June 30, 2020, 02:27:27 »
Systemic racism, barriers explain higher rates of COVID-19 among immigrant, non-white communities in Ottawa: Experts

Exposure to COVID-19 is a non-negotiable fact of life for many immigrant and visible minority residents in Ottawa. Take a look at the pandemic-era essential workforce: those supporting the food supply chain, providing taxi or ride-share services, or caring for residents in long-term care homes.

Even before the pandemic, many of his colleagues were non-white, often newcomers. Job opportunities are restricted when you have an accent or degree from a non-Western university, Tijani explained.

“We did not come here to sit home, or rely on the government.

“You want to work and feed your family … that’s the easiest job to get now. That’s why we are finding more immigrants working (in long-term care).”

According to experts, it’s also part of the reason why COVID-19 appears to pose a disproportionate threat to immigrants and visible minorities, as preliminary data from Ottawa Public Health recently confirmed.

With the virus ripping through congregate care homes, agri-food workplaces and other sites of precarious and low-paying work disproportionately held by newcomers and people of colour, it was inevitable that infection rates would be higher among these groups.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/systemic-racism-barriers-explain-higher-rates-of-covid-19-among-immigrant-non-white-communities-in-ottawa-experts/wcm/8c8b3e4a-7b79-48ec-97dd-ca8c9eab1433/
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3139 on: June 30, 2020, 10:07:15 »
 John Ivison: The COVID mission is far from accomplished, despite Trudeau's latest feel-good message

The most positive spin possible was put on Canada’s performance, with one graph showing how Canada had “flattened the curve sooner than a number of countries such as the U.K., Italy and the U.S.”

But when compared to countries that have coped well with COVID, the performance looks less impressive. Canada’s death rate per 100,000 people is double that of peer countries such as Germany, Denmark and Norway. Even when held up against the U.S., Canada is not unimpeachable — 8.3 per cent of all cases resulted in death in Canada, compared to a 4.9-per-cent case-fatality rate in the States. This reflects the appalling carnage in Canadian long-term care homes, where 20,602 cases resulted in 6,920 deaths, fully 81 per cent of all fatalities in this country.

“Canada has flattened the curve but at a high level,” said Amir Attaran, a professor in the Faculty of Law and School of Epidemiology and Public Health at the University of Ottawa. He said he would prefer to see the curve look more like a black diamond ski run. “’Flattening’ means a simmering, never-disappearing problem… It’s not something to be happy about, or something for which the Liberals should be claiming credit,” said Attaran.

Tam said “the epidemiology indicates transmission is largely under control.” But we are continuing to see outbreaks in unlikely hot spots including Saskatchewan and the Windsor-Essex region in Ontario, where many migrant workers are based. There is also evidence of infections spiking from funerals and family gatherings.

The model revealed the hospitalization rate of 15 per cent is roughly what was predicted going into the crisis and the numbers requiring intensive care beds and mechanical ventilation has been far lower than many feared (just 431 people needed ventilators).

But nobody should be under any illusion that the mission has been accomplished. In the Public Health Agency’s early models, it suggested the death toll could be 22,000 people, if the infection rate was five per cent over the course of the pandemic. Canada’s infection rate is currently around four per cent (103,250 cases from 2.6-million tested). That suggests that we will have a period of respite before second and third waves claim more lives.

Tam said the virus has not been eliminated and, with no effective vaccine, we can expect to see a resurgence as restrictions are lifted. “If we relax too much or too soon, we can expect it to rebound with explosive growth,” she said.

https://theprovince.com/news/politics/john-ivison-the-covid-mission-is-far-from-accomplished-despite-trudeaus-latest-feel-good-message/wcm/ac57ebd6-b318-43ab-8227-732c78de049a
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3140 on: June 30, 2020, 13:08:09 »
"Flat" is the place to be.  A vaccine is not guaranteed, and will still take months to develop and test.  Complete containment is not viable - the international community is only as safe as its weakest members, and restrictive measures are unlikely to be accepted for a years-long effort.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline OceanBonfire

• Rate Post
Recruiting Centre: Montreal
Regular/Reserve: Regular Force
Officer/NCM: Officer (DEO)
Occupation choice: Logistics Officer
Current application: March 28, 2017
CFAT: Previously completed in November 2011
Interview: July 11, 2017
Medical: August 2017
Competition list: October/November 2017
Position Offered: May 25, 2018
Swearing In: August 21, 2018
BMOQ: August 25, 2018
BMOQ Graduation: November 16, 2018
OFP: December 2019

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3142 on: June 30, 2020, 13:19:06 »

I can see the tag line now.....

"Europe: even better without loud and obnoxious US tourists" :)

Offline Target Up

........pull, patch, and score.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #3143 on: June 30, 2020, 13:55:24 »
Exciting times for travel, I get to go to Brandon for three weeks!
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #3144 on: June 30, 2020, 14:00:24 »
Exciting times for travel, I get to go to Brandon for three weeks!

Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll reimpose the lockdown before it happens.

:whistle:

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3145 on: June 30, 2020, 14:09:27 »
The Toronto city council will take up mandating the use of mask today indoors however, it won't necessarily be enforced.  I agree with mandating masks but unfortunately some people still won't wear them and I personally think it should be enforced.  Why will this country not do what is really needed.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/mandatory-masks-toronto-brampton-mississauga-1.5632435

Air Canada is ending flights to 8 cities and suspending 30 routes.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/air-canada-ending-service-to-8-cities-suspending-30-regional-routes-1.5005756

+300

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3146 on: July 01, 2020, 01:22:50 »
Proof that you can't E&E from a virus....

90 out of 110 soldiers in a survival, evasion, resistance, and escape course just tested positive for COVID-19

A total of 82 soldiers taking part in survival, evasion, resistance, and escape training along with eight instructors at Camp Mackall, North Carolina, have tested positive for the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), said Janice Burton, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School.

The students are all participating in the Army's Special Forces Qualification Course (Q Course), which lasts roughly 53 weeks, Burton said on Tuesday.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/90-soldiers-sere-course-coronavirus-positive?fbclid=IwAR263833WZlIZPOXa_x4Bj87c0T0Jm0oKnK150vetfDnAoPpOjneBVw4Jwc
+300

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3147 on: July 01, 2020, 09:25:17 »
The Reserves are starting up training this summer, I'm not sure that's such a great idea.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3148 on: July 01, 2020, 09:30:16 »
The Reserves are starting up training this summer, I'm not sure that's such a great idea.

I know... after all, what would you do with a trained reservist :)

Meanwhile, in the British Army:

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2020/05/first-soldiers-pass-out-of-training-since-coronavirus-lockdown/
+150

Offline stellarpanther

• Rate Post
« Reply #3149 on: July 01, 2020, 10:02:01 »
I know... after all, what would you do with a trained reservist :)

Meanwhile, in the British Army:

https://www.army.mod.uk/news-and-events/news/2020/05/first-soldiers-pass-out-of-training-since-coronavirus-lockdown/

It's got nothing about what a trained Reservist can do as you put it but strictly about the virus.  There is a reason most Reg Force mbr's are still working from home or having severely reduced hours.  The training is certainly necessary but maybe this summer should be a write off for training.  I did find the sarcasm humorous though.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:17:14 by stellarpanther »