Author Topic: Snowbird Jet Crashes Into House in Kamloops- May 17 2020  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Snowbird Jet Crashes Into House in Kamloops- May 17 2020
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2020, 08:07:24 »
I’m not questioning his decision to turn left, but straight down the runway is a river, with a large island park further up, and to the right is pretty much nothing. Also, had they taken off west there is literally nothing out there but farmer fields.  :(

It sure seems like you are...

+600 « Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:58:14 by Eye In The Sky »
"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Drallib

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
    • Making a Pilot in the RCAF
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2020, 09:33:12 »
The video that NavyShooter shared of Vincent Aiello from the Fighter Pilot Podcast talking to former CO/Lead of the Snowbirds Robert Mitchell was great.

He shared an experience he personally had when the team was practicing. He had a bird strike and left the formation by gaining altitude immediately. As his engine failed, he was doing the emergency procedure to try and get it going again, at the same time checking his ejection system and also the surrounding area for a runway that was way off in the distance. But, he had altitude and energy (300 knots) on his side and was able to get the engine running just enough to make it to the distant runway.

What Capt Richard MacDougall did in that extremely short amount of time was remarkable in my opinion. Like most of you, I'll be eager to hear exactly what happened in those moments. It goes without saying we'll need patience as he recovers and will have to process what happened.
"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:13

Offline Quirky

• Rate Post
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:14 »
It sure seems like you are...

The ego's on this forum are great representation of what's wrong in the military. They would rather make a snarky comment instead of moving along..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 10:49:21 by Quirky »
Life is too short to drive a boring car.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2020, 10:57:50 »
The ego's on this forum are great representation of what's wrong in the military. They would rather make a snarky comment instead of moving along..

I'd label my comment more an 'observation' that was aimed to help you see the contradiction in your post;  "nothing said before but really matters" as the saying goes...

But, judging by your reaction, I'd say my comment was "on top". 

"What a f$$kin' week!" - me, every Monday at about 1130hrs.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2020, 11:00:22 »
Take it to the PMs gentlemen.
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2020, 19:52:15 »
CBC asked a former Snowbirds Team Lead to analyze the video. He seemed very careful not to speculate on any causes, but the video angle does show a black speck in the sky moving towards the A/C just before Rich pitched up. You can also see when they slow the video down (this isn't mentioned) that whoever the first ejection was had their parachute at least partially deploying in fairly rapid order. The 2nd ejection is out of focus so you cannot see if there is a parachute opening sequence as quickly as the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS3dmuPlPo

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2020, 01:59:21 »
CBC asked a former Snowbirds Team Lead to analyze the video. He seemed very careful not to speculate on any causes, but the video angle does show a black speck in the sky moving towards the A/C just before Rich pitched up. You can also see when they slow the video down (this isn't mentioned) that whoever the first ejection was had their parachute at least partially deploying in fairly rapid order. The 2nd ejection is out of focus so you cannot see if there is a parachute opening sequence as quickly as the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS3dmuPlPo

Bird strike.... mentioned in this article as a possibility:

“However, again, the investigation will prove whether it was a bird strike or an engine failure or some sort of other emergency,” Stephenson said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6954775/cf-snowbird-crashes-near-kamloops-during-b-c-stop-of-cross-canada-tour/
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline CF_Pilot

• Rate Post
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2020, 09:44:41 »
An analysis by a former Snowbird pilot:

https://youtu.be/Xl7qOY2-o_Y
Much better analysis here, where he points out the stall/spin not seen by former Snowbirds:

https://youtu.be/10Og_7sqU7s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2020, 18:21:16 »
Mods, perhaps this goes to Thoughts and Prayers?

Captain Richard MacDougall: Injured pilot makes first public appearance

per: CFJC today: https://cfjctoday.com/2020/05/22/injured-pilot-makes-first-public-appearance/?fbclid=IwAR3qDCpsf1Tj7zGIcqDMk6KsghqydPwiz1khej5XGooymvMAfPUMuhm3Umw

KAMLOOPS — Injured pilot Captain Richard MacDougall came out in public last night for the first time since the tragic Snowbirds’ accident Sunday.

Members of the local indigenous community performed a drum circle at the roundabout in front of the admitting entrance to the hospital last night. MacDougall, surrounded by family members, well-blanketed and in his wheelchair, came out of the entrance to watch the circle and thank the members of the First Nations community for their support and prayers.

There has been little released about MacDougall’s injuries or the long-term prognosis for his recovery, but last night he appeared in good spirits for his visit outside.

Photos at link.