Author Topic: Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged  (Read 62508 times)

Offline ali759

• Rate Post
Re: Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2019, 13:27:19 »
Hi Beentrill,
Thanks for your reply, it's not too late. Did you manage to finish on time? And also how did you study or prepare for the test?

Offline MaggieDozer

• Rate Post
COT Army to NWO
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 14:05:24 »
Afternoon everyone!
I'm in the middle of (well Covid-19 got in the middle of) my COT into the NWO trade from InfO. My CoC has granted my COT and now I guess my next step is to write the MOST exam.
However for the LIFE of me I haven't been able to find any information on what I need to study, and as base is at minimum manning, neither myself nor my CoC can get in touch with our PSOs to find out any information for me.
Could anyone provide any information on the formatting of the exam, and what to kind of expect topic wise? I've been studying up on basic math, mental math, large number multiplication and division, speed distance time stuff and a little "boat A is doing X boat B is doing Y will they collide" type questions (thankfully my sister is a physics major!! hahaha) but I just feel like I'm walking in blind, missing something I should be studying or not studying the right things at all.

Any information regarding the test structure and what to study would be a huge help, and I'd really appreciate any information that can be provided! :)

Hope you're all staying safe and Covid free!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
Re: COT Army to NWO
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 14:15:21 »
I guess my next step is to write the MOST exam.
However for the LIFE of me I haven't been able to find any information on what I need to study,

Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged 
https://navy.ca/forums/index.php?topic=51566.0
3 pages.
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline MaggieDozer

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 14:22:31 »
Maritime Officer Selection Test ( MOST ) - merged 
https://navy.ca/forums/index.php?topic=51566.0
3 pages.

I've read through those pages before, I'm just concerned that the information there is outdated as some of the posts (the majority really) are from 2006... The test material hasn't been augmented in the last 14 years?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2020, 14:34:59 »
I'm just concerned that the information there is outdated as some of the posts (the majority really) are from 2006...

There are 53 posts in this discussion.

2 are from 2006...

Most recent: December 06, 2019
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Red shirted sea nerd reporting for the away team!
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 14:39:14 »
lol, we still store the ships using a chain of people to pass it along just like Nelson did.  14 years old is just when it's starting to pick up some flavour!

And no, the format won't really change. They may have a few versions, but if it works, no need to fix it.

Not really much you can study for it anyway; it's about testing your ability to follow instructions, recognize patterns and get things done within time limits, not about previous knowledge. Other then making sure you have a good night sleep before hand, and taking a deep breathe before you start not sure if you can do anything really to prepare.Think engineers typically have an easier time with it because those skills are all baked in from undergrad, but lots of people with random arts degrees (or no degree) have passed it.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2020, 14:48:34 »
Afternoon everyone!
I'm in the middle of (well Covid-19 got in the middle of) my COT into the NWO trade from InfO. My CoC has granted my COT and now I guess my next step is to write the MOST exam.
However for the LIFE of me I haven't been able to find any information on what I need to study, and as base is at minimum manning, neither myself nor my CoC can get in touch with our PSOs to find out any information for me.
Could anyone provide any information on the formatting of the exam, and what to kind of expect topic wise? I've been studying up on basic math, mental math, large number multiplication and division, speed distance time stuff and a little "boat A is doing X boat B is doing Y will they collide" type questions (thankfully my sister is a physics major!! hahaha) but I just feel like I'm walking in blind, missing something I should be studying or not studying the right things at all.

Any information regarding the test structure and what to study would be a huge help, and I'd really appreciate any information that can be provided! :)

Hope you're all staying safe and Covid free!

Ex Infantry Officer, who spent a decade in the Army here.  I am now an NWO and completed the MOST three years ago as part of my OVOTP application.

I can't discuss the specifics of the test itself but I would recommend practicing word and math problems.  Or playing mind games that focus on patterns and logic to prep for the test.

The MOST will test your ability to solve problems under time constraints and also your ability to pay attention to detail.  There is an academic paper available online which explains what the test is. It's not a difficult test to pass but you won't get a 100% on it and I wouldn't worry about that because if you did, you should probably be working for NASA as opposed to the RCN.

Get a good night sleep, be well rested and just relax when you write it.  I did it with absolutely no prep and didn't even realize it was a thing until I got told a day before by BPSO to come in and write it. 

You'll be fine!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 16:08:22 by Humphrey Bogart »

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2020, 15:42:49 »
Is it okay to make a joke about it being a test designed for MARS officers to pass, and that even infantry officers can make it through? Maybe with port/starboard crayons? I hear port crayons are the tastiest :whistle:

(also flashing back to seeing someone mark up a few nav points on a map with a red grease pencil, then having the transit take a lot longer then expected due to weather and then going to red light precautions... they had to run off for a few minutes to redo it in black. Good times on NETPO.)

Offline dapaterson

Halfway to being an idiot-savant.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 16:07:13 »
I have never ever seen the entire enemy trace in a CP disappear under red light, with a puzzled Lt trying to figure it out.  Not once.

Well, not in the past eight months since I retired, at least.
Putting the *** in acerbic.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2020, 16:08:50 »
Is it okay to make a joke about it being a test designed for MARS officers to pass, and that even infantry officers can make it through? Maybe with port/starboard crayons? I hear port crayons are the tastiest :whistle:

Red crayons are the tastiest ones. Green is second.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2020, 16:14:34 »
Red crayons are the tastiest ones. Green is second.

lol, for bonus points, could label the red crayon 'starboard' and the green one 'port'.  Getting mars bars spun up is pretty straightforward.