Author Topic: Recruiting Permanent Residents  (Read 173869 times)

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
Re: Recruiting Permanent Residents
« Reply #225 on: July 05, 2017, 17:31:20 »
Good Morning,

Joining the CAF as a PR requires a Citizenship Waiver.  About the only times citizenship waivers are completed is for occupations where the CAF is having difficulty enrolling Canadian Citizens into the occupation; the other caveat is that the person must be fully qualified in Canada to do the job.  (i.e. a Foreign Medical Officer would not be given a Citizenship Waiver as they're not qualified in Canada to practice but a Foreign Pilot who is fully qualified to fly would be eligible for a Citizenship Waiver).

I can tell you from experience that about the only occupation currently being entertained for foreign (i.e. non-citizens) applicants is Pilot.

I've seen it done for SOF as well, but that's a little more case by case basis.

Offline secammo

• Rate Post
Can permanent resident join the army?
« Reply #226 on: September 23, 2017, 10:02:07 »
Hello all, I'm 34 years old woman who is new landed PR and want to join CF, I have foreign nurse education, I heard about citizenship waiver for PR, but I made some calls with a few recruiting officers that they said only citizenship can apply, so any advice? Thanks!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Can permanent resident join the army?
« Reply #227 on: September 23, 2017, 10:08:28 »
My advice would be to listen to the recruiting officers who said only citizens can apply... If that info is directly from a Recruiting Centre, it is the most accurate information you'll get.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #228 on: September 23, 2017, 10:27:50 »
Welcome to Army.ca, secammo

Very few exceptions are ever made to the citizenship requirements, and only for narrowly specific reasons. You'll have to obtain that first, as I did several decades ago. They pushed it through for me in half of the normal time back then, as I'd told them that I was applying to the Regular Force (I was a Reservist, at the time; British citizenship was acceptable for that back then).

While you are waiting for that, start exploring this Site. There is much valuable information available in existing threads. Learn from that.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2017, 10:47:48 »
In addition to the very good advice already posted, if you want to join as a nurse you will need to have a valid licence to practice from a Canadian nursing authority.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #230 on: October 04, 2017, 14:38:19 »
Good Day,

In addition to the above I can tell you that citizenship waivers are not currently being entertained for Nursing Officer at the moment; and likely will not be an occupation that is considered for a waiver.