Author Topic: ROTP at Civilian University  (Read 1039132 times)

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
Re: Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)-Civilian University [MERGED]
« Reply #2400 on: March 03, 2017, 06:44:31 »
In anybody's opinion, did I ruin my shot at ROTP by already enlisting into the CF reserves or not applying for ROTP right out of highschool?

My opinion is you didn't "lose your shot" at ROTP by enlisting in PRes. Lots of different people join in different components for different reasons, plans, and commitments, and you happen to join to "try it out" while going to university.

Now given the info you've shared, I do personally think that if you got into university for fall 2016, you should have researched further and perhaps join as a OCdt or NCdt to the reserves to try it out. In the Navy reserves (NAVRES), there's the RESO program which allows for prospective or current university students to swear in as Class A naval cadet reservists. You'd do your trade training (ex. MARS 2,3,4) during your summers. I know many MARS (example) officers who have completed their courses and even their BWK course, that even before they graduated university, they were SLt! But, given all that, you are already an NCM militia Pvt, and all this wouldn't matter (unless you want to stay reserves but switch to officer while going to school).

IF, though, it really is ROTP that you want, you are too late (unless you've applied before 31 Jan 17?) to start as ROTP student for fall 2017. But after your 2nd year starts, you can put in for ROTP-CT (like DAA mentioned). Let me explain how you would go about doing this for ROTP competition fall 2018:

You need to inform your CoC, whatever your current reserve unit uses as method of correspondence (NRD's use request forms and memo's to the CO thru CoC). Your reserve unit SHOULDN'T have a problem with this. It's your career choice after all. You haven't wasted anyone's time; I'm sure you've learned valuable things so far and they will all add to your capability as an officer in the future. Now ensuring you let them know, since your butt belongs to them already, go to your BOR to someone who knows about ROTP-CT process, probably the BOR Chief Clerk, with your supervisor. Explain your intention, and they should guide you to the right direction. You'll be directed to go on this website where you will put in for an ROTP application. The site will look like you're applying as a civilian off-the-street, but complete it. You'll be required to upload a scan copy of all your transcripts (both highschool and university so-far). This gets sent from CT cell Ottawa to RMC Kingston. There used to be this other DIN website where you specifically apply for ROTP CT-OT, but that's not used anymore. When you've done this, you'll get an email to confirm your application was submitted, and (hopefully) soon, you'll be contacted by the CT Cell in Ottawa about your ROTP-CT application, your 3 trade choices, and about next steps. MAKE SURE your medical and FORCE test is current! And make sure you meet the minimum medical standard requirement for each of the trade choices you picked (med cat ex. 111225 shown on MPRR).

After this initial step, when RMC Kingston deems you are ACADEMICALLY SUITABLE, your CT Cell contact tell you and your nearest Recruiting Centre that you need to do an interview. Note, that you only get the interview if and only if you are academically suitable. To increase your chances and competitiveness, you may request for CFAT re-examination, but only if you are confident you will do better than the time you tested for enrolment to army reserves. This is very important because 60% of your score as ROTP applicant is actually from CFAT. 15% (or 10?) is from TSD test, and 25% (or 30?) is from your interview, which INCLUDES your academic scores and your previous experiences and skills. The point is, CFAT score is VERY IMPORTANT.

After all this, you are put on merit list (or not) based on your score as an ROTP-CT applicant. You don't compete with ROTP applicants from off-the-streets. They reserve about 10% of the ROTP positions to ROTP-CT applicants (i.e. if Sig O intake # is 35, there may be 4 or 5 space for ROTP-CT. You have to make it into that 4 or 5 spots. Nationally. Against all ROTP-CT applicants but not regular ROTP applicants).

Then you wait patiently. You may contact (don't do it; they are insane busy) CT Cell contact occasionally to ask any questions or ask for updates. They will respond when they can afford the time to. Then you'll get (or not) your offer for ROTP-CT, it will outline what school, what pay level, what VIE length, etc. I will not cover every one of those details, since the CFRC interviewer can advise you well too.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions!

p.s. I am a Class B reservist MS FSA (clerk), merit listed for Sig O Army under ROTP-CT, to civilian university for fall 2017. And I sure hell don't think my 6 year service with the reserves was a waste. It was the foundation to what kind of officer I will be for many years to come!

Brian

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #2401 on: March 03, 2017, 08:43:25 »
T
 the 2 years that I've already been approved for

Hi there! I'm 6yr Class B reservist going ROTP-CT to UBC 2nd year as SIG O, for start Fall 2017.

Just some questions for anyone that may have some idea:
- no one (even my recruiting captain) couldn't give me a solid answer: if I'm being subsidized for 3 yrs since I'm admitted to UBC as 2nd yr student, then isn't it 2mo svc for every 1mo paid for? So my VIE should be 9 yrs? I'm sure they could still throw me a VIE 12 or 13 and I'll have to take it as it is... But what did you guys with 1-2 yr subsidization hear from your ULO's about your contracts?

- how flexible is changing faculty / program while you're in rotp civiu? I know you can't change to something that doesn't match with your trade, and you can't make moves that will make subsidization cost more, but if not, are SEM/ULO reasonable about changing faculty? I'm probably going to get picked up as SIG because they're super red, but I'm admitted into UBC Arts. I want to switch to UBC Engineering after doing some math and science prereq courses.

- if I PLAR'ed BMOQ, and my next courses are SIG courses at Kingston, should I expect to go to that trade training in-between my school years? I heard from threads it depends on your trade and if trg can fit into the summers, but does anyone know about the SIG trade and possible trg between civiu school years?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #2402 on: March 03, 2017, 09:03:34 »
You cannot complete your Sig O DP1 while still in university. The only run 1.5 courses a year, one starting in Jan (the half course) and another starting on/around May 24 if I remember correctly (the full course). That full course doesn't finish until after FINAL GLORY, which is your confirmation ex in a HQ&Sigs Sqn, which is done in October.

Keep in mind you need BMOQ and BMOQ-L, so make sure your PLAR is squared away or you'll end up on BMOQ-L one of your summers.

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #2403 on: March 03, 2017, 14:04:39 »
You cannot complete your Sig O DP1 while still in university. The only run 1.5 courses a year, one starting in Jan (the half course) and another starting on/around May 24 if I remember correctly (the full course). That full course doesn't finish until after FINAL GLORY, which is your confirmation ex in a HQ&Sigs Sqn, which is done in October.

Keep in mind you need BMOQ and BMOQ-L, so make sure your PLAR is squared away or you'll end up on BMOQ-L one of your summers.

That's great info, thanks a lot. I'm sure of having BMOQ PLAR'ed; the CT cell said I shouldn't be going if I've done PLQ and have instructed BMOQ.

So if I can't do any of my trade trainings during the summers (except CAP, which I'll probably do if there's a course avail in summer), do you suppose they will AP me to a militia unit or somewhere at least? If not, I think I would take spring/summer courses to finish my degree earlier.

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #2404 on: March 03, 2017, 14:24:48 »
Up until last Jan it used to be that MCpls were promoted to Lt upon grad but that doesnt happen anymore either....but hey at least you get to keep your MCpl pay haha

WOW. Up until Jan 2015 that was the case?? I didn't know that... I'm an MS class B reservist CT-ing into SigO Army. I was hoping having BMOQ PLAR'ed would maybe get me 2Lt (only because I saw a navy RESO university student who got all his quals during summers, and got his commission and is now SLt/Lt even before he graduate university!!!! What the heck!). But yes. Keeping the pay is sweet while going to school. I doubt I'll be getting a MS pay though. Probably bumped down to RegF LS IPC4.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2405 on: March 03, 2017, 14:54:20 »
. . .  I doubt I'll be getting a MS pay though. Probably bumped down to RegF LS IPC4.

Bumped down?   A PRes MS's monthly pay (Cpl B standard IPC 4 X 31 days) is 4492.52.  A Reg F LS's pay (Cpl A standard IPC 4) is 4986.00
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2406 on: March 03, 2017, 15:35:51 »

Just some questions for anyone that may have some idea:
- no one (even my recruiting captain) couldn't give me a solid answer: if I'm being subsidized for 3 yrs since I'm admitted to UBC as 2nd yr student, then isn't it 2mo svc for every 1mo paid for? So my VIE should be 9 yrs? I'm sure they could still throw me a VIE 12 or 13 and I'll have to take it as it is... But what did you guys with 1-2 yr subsidization hear from your ULO's about your contracts?

Your question seemingly includes and connects two separate concepts which should be viewed separately; terms of service (i.e. VIE) and obligatory service.   Terms of service may vary depending on the occupation and are not necessarily tied to obligatory service.  As another (and more informed) denizen of this forum wrote "The purpose of VIE's and other contracts are to provide the CF with a stable pool of employees while at the same time providing its' members with a sense of stable long term employment.  Just a means of maintaining and somewhat controlling personnel levels."  The reference for TOS is ADM(HR-Mil) Instruction 05/05, The New CF Regular Force Terms of Service.  Obligatory service is that period of mandatory service incurred as a result of receiving education subsidization (or specific training or allowances, etc).  The ref for such is DAOD 5049-1, Obligatory Service.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline throwaway1

• Rate Post
« Reply #2407 on: March 04, 2017, 19:13:18 »
So I was accepted into ROTP for civilian U this past January and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer universities while in rotp? I read something about it needing to be in the same city. I am in my first year of uni. Any info is appreciated.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2408 on: March 04, 2017, 19:17:06 »
So I was accepted into ROTP for civilian U this past January and I was wondering if it is possible to transfer universities while in rotp?

ROTP Transferring between Civvie Universities 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=84872.0

Civvy U transfer 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=104835.0

All Things Civilian U (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=45419.275
13 pages

etc...

« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 19:21:00 by mariomike »

Offline throwaway1

• Rate Post
« Reply #2409 on: March 04, 2017, 19:27:52 »
Alright, I'm going to talk to a recruiter when possible to see if I can get posted somewhere near where I want to transfer. Otherwise I'm going to apply for another local school and hope for the best. Thanks for info.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2410 on: March 04, 2017, 19:41:47 »
Thanks for info.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #2411 on: April 08, 2017, 04:16:44 »
So I did my interview on 3 Mar 17, my last step of my ROTP-CT CIVIU application.
I contacted CT for update and was told that they sat boards for SIG O two weeks ago and I wasn't on the list of selected personnel. He told me that another selection boards will sit in end May with focus on ROTP-CIVIU, so I should hear from them 1st or 2nd week of June...

Does anyone know if not having made this board in end March means that my file is not so competitive? I'm a Class B reservist MS with leadership experience and BMOQ instr experience. My CFAT percentile was 84. Or is it the case that they probably only selected to fill regular ROTP applicants going to RMC, and they haven't selected for the few ROTP-CT spots / ROTP-CIVIU spots yet?

Thanks in advance,

Offline Ostrozac

• Rate Post
« Reply #2412 on: April 08, 2017, 05:26:45 »
Does anyone know if not having made this board in end March means that my file is not so competitive?

You didn't mention your high school marks -- ROTP selection has always put heavy weight towards high school academic performance. The recently released report on RMC stated that an 85% high school average was the minimum academic threshold for admission to ROTP at RMC or RMC-SJ -- the report didn't cover ROTP at Civi U, but there's no reason to suspect it is very different.

Offline clownfool

• Rate Post
« Reply #2413 on: April 26, 2017, 18:13:03 »
Am I allowed to work on a base or any military establishment if I have no uniform nor training whatsoever?

My school term is almost over, and there are a few weeks from when I finish my last exam till the start of my BMOQ course. I either have to be on some sort of leave, or working at a base. I want to avoid going on leave as much as possible because I only have 3 weeks per year, and I need to save those for Christmas and reading break.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #2414 on: April 26, 2017, 18:15:03 »
Am I allowed to work on a base or any military establishment if I have no uniform nor training whatsoever?

My school term is almost over, and there are a few weeks from when I finish my last exam till the start of my BMOQ course. I either have to be on some sort of leave, or working at a base. I want to avoid going on leave as much as possible because I only have 3 weeks per year, and I need to save those for Christmas and reading break.

Thank you

Don't worry.  They will have things for you to do.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #2415 on: April 26, 2017, 20:45:50 »

Thank you
Your ULO is your point of contact and they are the person that will look after your employment when you are not in school. Dont worry, you will be looked after.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Bryne

• Rate Post
« Reply #2416 on: June 13, 2017, 09:42:52 »
I am ROTP CiviU attending BMOQ this summer. I have just received my schools registration calendar and my enrollment appointment (the time when I can select courses for the fall/winter terms) will be during BMOQ (likely in the middle of the day). My program is interdisciplinary (shares core courses with other disciplines) and this makes course selection very competitive. In my experience from previous years I will have less than an hour after my enrollment appointment begins to select my courses before they fill up. Obviously, missing a course is not an option because that would disturb my scheduled program completion and violate the contract I signed with the CF for 2 years of subsidized education.

I am wondering if this is a common issue that is addressed during BMOQ? Will I be provided the time required to enroll?

Thanks!

Offline WJFW11

• Rate Post
« Reply #2417 on: September 26, 2017, 00:03:41 »
Hi everyone,

So this is my second time applying for ROTP. I applied last year as a first year university student at McGill and did really well on the CFAT but due to starting the application late, my chosen trades had been filled and I was offered to continue my application in other trades or stop my application. So I stopped and decided to re apply for this year as a 2nd year university student. Once again they've asked me to send my transcripts into RMC which I've done and I'm confident are satisfactory (they're better grades than I had last year and last years were deemed satisfactory by RMC). However I sent my grades in around two weeks ago and have yet to receive a reply whereas last year when I replied I received an answer from RMC in a matter of days. If anyone could let me know when I might expect to hear back from them or if the time I'm waiting is normal to hear back from them please let me know. Also would it be acceptable to contact RMC with this question ? Thanks so much.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #2418 on: September 26, 2017, 11:32:56 »
This is a very busy time of year at RMC. They are likely still dealing will admin from the new candidates that have just started.

It will likely take some time, a few weeks maybe, to get back to you.

And yes you can contact RMC, they will be able to give you a better timeline.

Be patient.

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline WJFW11

• Rate Post
« Reply #2419 on: September 26, 2017, 12:59:33 »
This is a very busy time of year at RMC. They are likely still dealing will admin from the new candidates that have just started.

It will likely take some time, a few weeks maybe, to get back to you.

And yes you can contact RMC, they will be able to give you a better timeline.

Be patient.

Awesome thank you for the reply and for clarifying. I'm just worried about my application getting "lost in the shuffle" so to speak. I'll be sure to give them a call at some point.

Offline Aaron97

• Rate Post
« Reply #2420 on: January 03, 2018, 02:18:33 »
If I apply for ROTP at a civilian university, do I need to meet the civilian university AND RMC admission requirement OR just the civilian one?

Offline FoobyNation

• Rate Post
Decisions to make
« Reply #2421 on: January 03, 2018, 23:19:35 »
Hey guys, this is my first year of ROTP in civi U. I thought I would do well in comp sci but in my first semester, I failed all my courses and realized I did not want to code for a living. I plan to pursue a different degree such as International Studies or Communication. I love dealing with people on a daily basis and did customer service before I got accepted. I emailed the ULO saying that I failed. Throughout the email, they gave me 4 options. 1. Voluntary Release 2. Become non-commissioned. 3. Leave without pay. 4. Voluntary Occupation Transfer. I want to pick a different occupation related to International Studies or Communications but I read that signals is a red trade. The ULO wants to talk about it after this semester but it still leaves me worried. I'm already taking courses for the major I plan to major in. I won't be able to submit my VOT until I finish my BMOQ which will be next year of summer. Currently I'm on leave without pay but I am wondering if there is any chance I could make it through Voluntary Occupation Transfer.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 23:22:38 by FoobyNation »

Offline FoobyNation

• Rate Post
Decisions to make
« Reply #2422 on: January 04, 2018, 16:43:47 »
Hey guys, I'm currently in Civi U for ROTP. I enrolled signals by getting Computer Science degree. In my first semester, I failed all my courses and realized I hate coding. The university has 5 retake policy and once you take 6 or more, you'll get kicked from the university. The ULO gave me options and I'm currently on Leave Without Pay. I want to VOT to a different career such as Intelligence Officer or Public Affair Officer, which requires a different degree. I'm starting to take courses which would get me a degree for the occupation as IO or PAO but in order to VOT, I need to finish BMOQ. I don't know what to do or what courses to take. I need help and suggestions, please.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
Re: Decisions to make
« Reply #2423 on: January 05, 2018, 08:07:56 »
First off, I hope you have read the Subsidized education manual, it has a lot of information that you have asked. Specifically here are the one you SHOULD have read para 419 - 422

Also, you need to have approval from you SEM (not ULO) to change courses/degree paths, you don't just decide on your own that you want to do something else.

You very much need to go talk to your ULO ASAP.

Offline FoobyNation

• Rate Post
LOW but got paid
« Reply #2424 on: January 15, 2018, 12:28:56 »
Hey, I'm on leave without pay and I got paid this week. What do I do with the money?