Author Topic: Recruiting Posters, Slogans and Commercials [Merged]  (Read 268789 times)

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Recruiting slogans and posters
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2001, 17:53:00 »
I wonder how the focus groups work.

Do they gather together a sample of people and ask them for impressions?  Do they screen out people who would have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a CFRC to be conscripted?  Do they gather a sample of fairly new soldiers to determine what might have appealed to them to help them decide to join?

In short, did we ask the right people what they thought?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
Re: Recruiting slogans and posters
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2001, 21:51:00 »
Excellent point, Brad - the focus groups are somewhat similar to computers (i.e. garbage in, garbage out).

A while back, the marketing braintrust was convinced (duped?) into believing the public thought of the CF as "Proud, Proven, Professional" - however, in the same vein as a consultant tells you the time using your own watch, it should have been noted the focus groups included CF members who wanted to be thought of as professional (and thus, the result was skewed).

Over and over again, I keep looking at the American example (since they are our closest ally) - the US Army has been having problems meeting their recruiting quota for about four years - on the other hand, the US Marines have met their recruiting quota for the past 54 months!  Hmmm ... didn‘t some rocket scientist marketing genius come up with "An Army Of One", while the Marines have stuck to the tried and true "The Few, The Proud, The Marines"????

Ya know, getting back to basics is not necessarily a bad thing (contrary to what the consultants and voodoo marketing witch doctors would have us believe).

If we‘re trying to recruit soldiers, then our advertising should attract soldiers.  Ditto for sailors and airmen.  However, if we‘re trying to attract employees, then our recruiting will have a different flavour (and we shouldn‘t be so surprised when our recruits behave more like employees than soldiers).

Here‘s a few favourites for comparison:

Join the Army.  Stand On Guard for Canada.
It‘s not a job, it‘s an adventure.
Nobody wants to fight, but somebody has to know how.
We do more before breakfast than most people do all week.
Twice the Citizen - Join the Reserves.

Dileas Gu Brath,
M.B.  :cdn:
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883

donkreel

New Recruiting Ads...
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2001, 13:48:00 »
I haven‘t seen any of the new ads on TV yet...has anyone seen one of them yet?  Wondering if they‘ll be effective...

Offline Soldier of Fortune

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
Re: New Recruiting Ads...
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2001, 16:22:00 »
Neither have I, what channels do you think they would be most effective on, I thind CBC and Much Music.
:bullet:    Soldier of Fortune    :bullet:

Cbt Engr

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2001, 23:28:00 »
The television and prints ads aren‘t supposed to start until the fall according to DNet. For now, the splashy ads remain as the cartoons before the feature presentation.

Offline RCA

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2001, 18:19:00 »
I don‘t care what anybody says, but the best recruiting tool is still word of mouth. You know what you do and what the "hooks" are. However everyone‘s moral has been so low it has been hard to be positive. So start talking it up again and the flow should slowly start again. (and we would save $15 million, money better spent on 105mm HOW ammo.)
Ubique

Se7eN

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2001, 14:14:00 »
This reply is not really about the ad‘s but about the recruting site. It‘s super flashy and it makes you think we have the best funded military in the world. There are a couple things I noticed. In the NEWS section (check it out and see) they have a picture of Col. Kenward leading a parade of the Canadian Airborne Regiment. Now this to me seems like a huge misrepresentation, maybe Im wrong but, why are they using flashy pictures of a disbanded regiment to entice new recruits??, If that isnt false advertising I dont know what is.

Just a thought

Cbt Engr

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2001, 14:44:00 »
NDHQ lying? Ad agencies lying? Preposterous.

*please note the sarcasm now dripping onto the floor*  :eek:

Se7eN

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2001, 18:45:00 »
Why don‘t people call them on it or go to the media?, what would the government do??

Offline echo

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2001, 00:05:00 »
when i went to see a movie tonight,
during the previews an ad‘s  i saw the new recruiting ad for the army, navy and air force.
that ad was visually astounding because of all the things you hear about the cdn army/navy/airforce this showed every single one of the great things about the millitary.
(at the end of the ad it showed the new recruiting sologan. "Strong! Proud!")

the group of friends i was with were extremely impressed and were commenting on how they were gonna join the reserves in a coupla years.
Nulli Secondus

Offline Soldier of Fortune

• Rate Post
  • Grizzled Old Veteran
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2001, 11:26:00 »
Its good to know the ads are attracting young people.
:bullet:    Soldier of Fortune    :bullet:

colgan

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2001, 21:13:00 »
Originally posted by echo:
[qb]when i went to see a movie tonight,
during the previews an ad‘s  i saw the new recruiting ad for the army, navy and air force.
that ad was visually astounding because of all the things you hear about the cdn army/navy/airforce this showed every single one of the great things about the millitary.
(at the end of the ad it showed the new recruiting sologan. "Strong! Proud!")

the group of friends i was with were extremely impressed and were commenting on how they were gonna join the reserves in a coupla years.[/qb]

colgan

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2001, 21:17:00 »
the army needs to spend less on ads and more on good training and kit  :cdn:

towhey

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2001, 12:58:00 »
Saw one of the ads at the movie theatre last night.

Although it was out of focus (IS there such a thing as a projectionist anymore???? -- and I know, they up-res the ads to 35mm, but it was more than that, I‘m in the biz and know!), the ad was outstanding.

Kudos to the agency that created it.  My wife was ready to enlist right then and there.  Sensitive to some of the comments I‘ve heard from others, I specifically looked for kit and equipment.  I saw none that is not in use today.

It was a great mix of Army, Navy and Air Force hi-speed, cool-factor gear and worked across all three elements.  There were reserve Army capbadges and headress in evidence throughout.  The music was well done, and the editing was stirring.  Even the tag line works:  Strong.  Proud.

Well done, DND.

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2001, 14:38:00 »
Technically, I suppose there are reservists who have seen/used the equipment portrayed.

I wonder how to deal with the retention issue once recruits learn the difference between the vision and the reality of a typical training weekend or one-week concentration.

Despair is a sin.

towhey

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2001, 07:22:00 »
The ad I saw was not targeting reserve recruits.  It was a generic CF ad.

Given the regular force‘s near disastrous staffing situation at the moment, I‘d bet my breakfast that the focus is on recruiting regulars.  Maybe even enticing some dissatisfied reservists to join the dark side?

Cheers,

mark

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2001, 12:42:00 »
I can‘t remember if the ones I saw were all reserve-specific.  Nevertheless, I must admit that if we entice soldiers in right now who subsequently become disillusioned with the reality of reserve service, I would be satisfied to see them continue on to regular service.  As long as the Reg F needs people it must turn to the Res F to make up shortfalls, so the sooner the Reg F is "healthier", the sooner the Res F can concentrate on building up complementary capabilities and leadership depth.

Despair is a sin.

Offline Alex252

• Rate Post
New Bell Commercial
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2004, 22:47:58 »
I was watching TV today. I saw this commercial and it was about veterans. It said this man was a brother, friend, husband etc. They were all soldiers of the Second World War. At first I thought this was going to be for rememberance day. Then all I see is were all connected, Get your Bell Subscription. This is pretty sad. We have rip off amazing efforts from soldiers and then use it to market a product? What do you guys think?
Aspiring CF member!

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
Re: New Bell Commercial
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2004, 22:55:58 »
I don't know, I still get a tear when I see the Dieppe commercial. I think when its done in good taste ,like the Bell commercials, then its allright.  Besides its better than the alternative,...... ignorance.

EDIT: can't believe I forgot this...an example of what I mean is my 11 year old asked me why I love that commercial so much and she listened in awe when I told her about the story.[ she couldn't believe they would keep trying to get up those cliffs in the background]
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 23:10:27 by Bruce Monkhouse »
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline SHELLDRAKE!!

• Rate Post
  • BIG GUN GO BOOM
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2004, 23:06:40 »
  Last year I was in Afghanistan and saw this video for the first time.I think its great and hope that when they play it on t.v on 11/11 it makes alot of people stop and think.

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance.htm#
"Artillerymen believe the world consists of two types of people; other Artillerymen and targets"-unknown

Offline Alex252

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2004, 23:10:52 »
Besides its better than the alternative,...... ignorance.
Good Point
Aspiring CF member!

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2004, 23:35:06 »
I will say also that Bell did have taste and did it very respectfully when they made the Dieppe commercial, but still, I don't enjoy the fact it had to be done by a corporation for advertising. You can't ignore the fact it IS advertising. Regardless, I think the GOVERNMENT should take the blame on that one. It should be doing that already... They do a large part on the world wars in gr. 10 history class which I scored very high marks in, but still. People do need reminding every now and then!

Joe
 :salute: :cdn: :salute:
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2004, 23:38:31 »
Why shouldn't the corporations do their part, they also enjoy the freedom that was won by those brave people.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2004, 23:46:40 »
Bruce,

Very good point indeed. I agree you are right in that. I suppose I hadn't thought of that at all whatsoever! Like they say right, hindsight is always 20/20 (in my case, blind!)

:P
Joe
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

Offline bossi

• "vae soli, vae victus"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • The puck stops here ('War On Ice'!) Fight Smarter!
    • My pix (on MSN)
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2004, 08:53:45 »
I'd say "bravo" to any organisation that takes the time, effort and money to salute our veterans - they're being good "corporate citizens".  Furthermore, I'd say the Bell commercials are an excellent example of what can be achieved when you combine professional expertise with heartfelt pride.

A while back, there was a hardware store commercial explaining that they'd helped refurbish the Royal Newfoundland Regiment memorial - how on Earth can we turn around and complain when a corporate citizen steps up to the plate and does "the right thing" (especially when you realise the former Heritage Minister used her post to feather her own nest, by moving HMCS Haida to her own riding ...).

For God's sake - don't bite the hand that's patting our veterans on the back!
Junior officers and NCOs who neglect to guide the thinking of their men are shirking a command responsibility.
-Feb 1955 Cbt Forces Journal
Those who appreciate true valour should in their daily intercourse set gentleness first and aim to win the love and esteem of others. If you affect valour and act with violence, the world will in the end detest you and look upon you as wild beasts. Of this you should take heed.
-Emperor Meiji: Rescript to Soldiers and Sailors, 4 January 1883