Author Topic: Reserve Service Dress Uniform (aka "DEU") Issue  (Read 27350 times)

Offline Maverick894

• Rate Post
Reserve Service Dress Uniform (aka "DEU") Issue
« on: February 23, 2005, 01:13:30 »
How long does it take for a Reserve to get his DEUs?  Is it after BMQ?

Offline Perry

• Rate Post
Re: DEUs
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 02:29:43 »
I would think you would be able to get your primary issue til after your SQ qualified at the bare min. Some units don't issue til MQ qualified.But I would check with your unit OR they would know the policy.
I reject your reality and substitute it with my own.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 06:29:18 »
There's a new CANFORGEN out on this very subject, it states that DEUs will be issued after one year. I'll post the CANFORGEN when I get to work.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 08:17:14 »
CANFORGEN 036/05 CLS 005/05 181654Z FEB 05
ISSUE OF ARMY DISTINCTIVE ENVIRONMENT UNIFORM (DEU) TO RESERVE PERS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. 5250-1 COS ADM(HR-MIL) 1 FEB 05
B. CF SCALE OF ISSUE D01-102 (ARMY - BASIC CLOTH REGULAR AND RESERVE)

1. IN THE PAST MONTHS, NUMEROUS DEMANDS HAVE BEEN MADE TO CHANGE THE POLICY SURROUNDING THE ISSUE OF ARMY DEU TO RESERVE PERSONNEL. CURRENT POLICY RESTRICTS THE ISSUE OF ARMY SERVICE DRESS UNTIL MOC/QL3 QUALIFICATION IS REACHED FOR PRIMARY RESERVE NCM.

2. AFTER CONSULTATION WITH NUMEROUS DND AGENCIES SUCH AS ADM(HR MIL)(REF A), A CONSENSUS WAS REACHED ON THE ISSUE OF THE ARMY DEU TO RESERVE PERSONNEL ENTITLED TO IT. POLICY HAS BEEN AMENDED AND PARA 7 OF SCALE OF ISSUE D01-102 (REF B) NOW READS AS FOLLOWS: SERVICE DRESS ITEMS OF CLOTHING SHALL NOT BE ISSUED TO PRIMARY RESERVE NCM S (WHO WEAR THE ARMY UNIFORM) PRIOR TO COMPLETION OF ONE CALENDAR YEAR OF SERVICE AFTER THE DATE OF ENROLMENT.

3. THIS POLICY CHANGE WILL BE EFFECTIVE ON RECEPTION OF THIS MSG AND IT IS HOPED THAT IT WILL ALSO SERVE AS A MEANS OF RECOGNIZING THE INDIVIDUALS COMMITMENT TO THE CF.

4. INITIAL KITTING ORDERS ARE STILL TO BE DONE THROUGH BASE SUPPLY CLOTHING STORES AS PER ESTABLISHED PROCEDURE.

5. QUERIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO MAJ GIGUERE, DLSS 3-4, AT (613) 945-7653.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 08:53:46 »
Makes far more sense then their old policy, considering there's a vast discrepancy in how long it takes to attain QL3 in the reserves... some trades it can take up to 3 years, or more, others can do it in 8 months.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
After serving 2 years, the entitlement to an "upgrade" to an NDI20 kicks in.

(And, I could be wrong - it could be one year until NDI20 kicks in ... I just know that as the Det Comd in PEI, I arranged for a massive photo/fingerprinting session with the Ident folks from Gagetown coming over on TD so that we could get all entitled pers into their NDI20 from the temp IDs).

I'm not at work today to confirm the time-period, but it's given in the books.

Fairly correct.  Two years required to get a NDI 20.  One has to have a DEU Tunic, shirt and tie.  A Reservist requires completion of a QL3 Qualification or two years to get issued DEUs.  So - Two years.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 16:49:30 by Bruce Monkhouse »
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Haggis

• "There ain't no hat badge on a helmet!"
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • "Oh, what a glorious sight, Warm-reekin, rich!"
Re: Free VIA Rail for CF and DND
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 08:47:50 »
Fairly correct.  Two years required to get a NDI 20.  One has to have a DEU Tunic, shirt and tie.  A Reservist requires completion of a QL3 Qualification or two years to get issued DEUs.  So - Two years.

You, too, are "fairly correct", George.  I've managed to track down the policy which states, in general terms that, unless deployed, Reserve officers are entitled to an NDI 20 upon enrollement and NCMs must have a minimum of two years service.

Secondly, the entitilement to DEU is now after one year, regardless of when DP1/QL3 is completed.

(eidted with updated information)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:17:13 by Haggis »
Train like your life depends on it.  Some day, it may.

Offline CLOTJunkie

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 09:15:27 »
As a further DEU point, the one year entitlement only applies to Army reserve. Air and Naval reservists are entitled to their DEUs on enrollment.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 09:22:19 »
As a further DEU point, the one year entitlement only applies to Army reserve. Air and Naval reservists are entitled to their DEUs on enrollment.

They have their Logistik Unicorps Accounts set up that fast?
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 10:11:51 »

Access to Logistik Unicorps is a function of PeopleSoft.  Once an Army Reservist gains either a DP1 qualification OR one year of service, access to Logistik Unicorps is automatic.

CANFORGEN 196/05 sets the limits on Army Reservists. 

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 18:12:04 »

This is true.

Fact is, the Army sees a much higher rate of NES or release rates within the 1st year of service; and, we just don't wear our DEUs as often as the Naval and Air Forces do (what, usually once per year for us on Nov 11th??).

Ergo, the move (well, not a 'new' move given that it's been the policy since '06) to wait one year until Logistik-Unicorp kicks in for Army Reservists saves us a fortune (note that this is not applicable to Army ResF Officers - it's only applic to ORs).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 18:16:05 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 14:47:55 »
This is true.

Fact is, the Army sees a much higher rate of NES or release rates within the 1st year of service; and, we just don't wear our DEUs as often as the Naval and Air Forces do (what, usually once per year for us on Nov 11th??).

Generally, this is true, save for Army Reservists employed in/at NDHQ.  Here, WOs and above are required to be in DEU.  There are, of course exceptions, but this is the "rule".

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2009, 15:07:27 »
To be precise, it's the standing orders for CFSU(O).  Of course, the dot COMs and the Land Staff, being too lazy to iron their shirts and polish their shoes operationally focussed, now wear CADPAT day-to-day.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Haggis

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2009, 15:34:31 »
To be precise, it's the standing orders for CFSU(O).  Of course, the dot COMs and the Land Staff, being too lazy to iron their shirts and polish their shoes operationally focussed, now wear CADPAT day-to-day.

C'mon.  Why don't you tell us what you really feel?

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2009, 16:05:51 »
I would, but it's the Army Ball tomorrow night, and I really need to work on polishing my shoes...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 10:43:14 »
Generally, this is true, save for Army Reservists employed in/at NDHQ.  Here, WOs and above are required to be in DEU.  There are, of course exceptions, but this is the "rule".

But, WOs and above have DEUs issued because they have more than a year in. And, get  extra points from Logistik too for being at that particuar location.

It truly is a special place.  >:D
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline MrBlue

• Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2009, 12:08:38 »
Just to clarify, Air and Naval reservists, get their DEU's issued at BMQ, just like the Reg Force mbrs, because we wear it upon graduation.

Chiefs and officers are really the only ones who wear their DEU's often, PO's and below usually wear NCD's, except for on ship.

I know we wear our DEU's pretty much only for parades (2-3 per year) and mess dinners (1-2 per year)
and yes we get access to LogistikUnicorp after we graduate.

Is there a special process to get the Permanent ID card for reservists?   always had the temp, and had to redo it.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:18 »
Just to clarify, Air and Naval reservists, get their DEU's issued at BMQ, just like the Reg Force mbrs, because we wear it upon graduation.

That point is really not valid.  Do you think that is honestly the reason?  If the Army Reservists were issued DEU, they too would be wearing them on Graduation of BMQ and SQ.  It would have proven very interesting a month or so ago, when one of our new members would have been graduating BMQ in DEU's with White Jump Wings and two or three medals.

Offline MrBlue

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 12:36:04 »
See George you got stuck on that part...but I in no way put down the Army reservists...I just said what WE did...since I don't know what the army reservists do...so get off my back.

Its a Valid point...because its a FACT, that THAT is we the Air and Naval Reserves do, up until now I didnt even know that army reservists didn't get their DEU's.

Like I said GET OFF MY BACK...you keep checking up on me, and its blatantly annoying, especially when you take EVERY single thing I say as a personal attack when all i'm doing is stating fact, to clear up the murky waters.

p.s I really don't know why you felt the need to toot your (collective army reserve) own horn with the jump wings and medals comment, since as previously stated, I in no way put them down.

Now back to the topic at hand, the VIA offer to CF and DND personnel
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:39:51 by Biggoals2bdone »

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2009, 12:59:08 »
See George you got stuck on that part...but I in no way put down the Army reservists...I just said what WE did...since I don't know what the army reservists do...so get off my back.

Its a Valid point...because its a FACT, that THAT is we the Air and Naval Reserves do, up until now I didnt even know that army reservists didn't get their DEU's.

Like I said GET OFF MY BACK...you keep checking up on me, and its blatantly annoying, especially when you take EVERY single thing I say as a personal attack when all i'm doing is stating fact, to clear up the murky waters.

p.s I really don't know why you felt the need to toot your (collective army reserve) own horn with the jump wings and medals comment, since as previously stated, I in no way put them down.

Now back to the topic at hand, the VIA offer to CF and DND personnel

Yes, yes - get over yourself.

George is saying - quite rightly - that Air and Naval Res pers DO NOT get their DEUs simply because they happen to wear them on grad parade; that is what your post infers when, actually, it's UFI itself and is non-contributory to this thread ...

which should now be split off and all the DEU crap can be merged with the other threads existing here discussing exactly the same topic wrt who does, and doesn't, get DEUs right away.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

is still the king of VB.OK, court jester.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
This has been split off and placed in 'Uniforms".

Carry on.................
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline QAD

• Rate Post

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
 ???

Just the pics; no commentary?
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

Offline davidsonr_91

• Rate Post
So from all the other posts it sounds like as long as you have been in 1 year you can draw DEU's.  What do I need to do to draw them, as my clerk has told me that I need to go to stores to get it but wouldn't tell me how.  I am waiting for a Component transfer hoping for july or oct for MSE.  I am army res now but going air MSE so I will have different DEU's.  I know that I probably shouldn't draw them but I am entitled to them as I have been in the unit.  Would like anyone's opinions on the matter.

Thanks

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
I showed up the day after I finished my QL3, and made an appointment to be sized. Clothing stores took my word for it.