Author Topic: Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread  (Read 1340084 times)

MilEME09 and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online GR66

• Rate Post
Re: Chinese Military,Political and Social Superthread
« Reply #3750 on: May 22, 2020, 13:01:28 »
Post based on a piece by Matthew Fisher:

the excellent Matthew Fisher gives a nice round-up of the issues (the Canadian government being pretty muted as usual)–several news videos at the link:

[Note first this May 21 story, a potentially very ominous development:

https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/05/22/dragon-vs-eagle-western-pacific-taiwan-hong-kong/

Mark
Ottawa

Just a quick comment on the one headline..."Does US Lose non-Nuclear War with China?".

It's important not to confuse winning battles with winning the war.  Perhaps China could disable US satellites, pummel Guam and drive US forces outside the South China Sea, but China as a nation is highly dependent on maritime trade for many essentials. 

What happens to China when the USN and Air Force establish a blockade of essential goods (fuel, food, raw resources, etc.) going into the country? 

How much of a "win" is undisputed control of some rocks in the ocean, neighbours that have been turned into enemies and material shortages at home? 

I don't think that any realistic concept of "beating" China in a war includes invasion, or even massive attacks on the Chinese mainland.  I think it's more about deterring (through threat of the long-term consequences) China from trying to take things from their neighbours by force.

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3751 on: May 23, 2020, 11:39:42 »
Start of a post:

Dragon Getting Ready to Devour Hong Kong–plus BoJo to Ban Huawei at last

Further to this post three weeks ago,

Hong Kong and the PRC: What One Country, Two Systems? Plus COVID-19

Terry Glavin (tweets here) expresses his outrage and his disappointment with Canada’s so far thoroughly feckless policy towards the PRC...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/05/23/dragon-getting-ready-to-devour-hong-kong-plus-bojo-to-ban-huawei-at-last/

Mark
Ottawa
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Online MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3752 on: May 23, 2020, 11:48:46 »
I doubt there is the actual will to punish China for violating it's agreement with the UK in regards to the hand over and one country, two systems. No wonder Taiwan has told the PRC to pound salt, Hong Kong is exactly what the RoC doesn't want, their rights stripped away. Sure we might get some harsh words from a few world leaders, a few economic repercussions around 5G networks and such but over all, baring anything game changing Hong Kong is done for.

By game changing I mean something the central government can't save face over, like say the Hong Kong police switching sides and joining the protesters, PLA garrison being taken over, etc...

Edit: CPC leadership candidate Erin O'toole has taken his stance on the issue

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/otoole-defend-freedom-in-hong-kong
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 13:07:05 by MilEME09 »
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3753 on: May 23, 2020, 16:58:36 »
Canada now stands alone in the Five Eyes on Huawei/5G (further links at original):

Reports: UK to cut Huawei’s involvement in 5G network
Boris Johnson wants to reduce Chinese tech giant’s involvement in building network to zero by 2023, according to British media.

British Prime Minister Boris Johnson plans to reduce the role of Huawei in the U.K.'s 5G network in the wake of the coronavirus crisis, according to reports in the Guardian and the Telegraph.

Johnson has instructed officials to draft plans that would reduce Huawei's involvement in building the U.K.'s 5G phone network to zero by 2023, the Telegraph reported.

The move marks a departure from the U.K. government's previous position. In January, Johnson said he would allow the Chinese tech giant to build up to 35 percent of its 5G phone network but block access to "sensitive core" parts of the network.

The push for new plans comes amid growing backlash among Conservative MPs against Chinese investment and a lack of transparency around Beijing's handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to the Telegraph.

The paper also reported Johnson hopes to ramp up trade talks with the United States, which has been one of the most vocal critics of the U.K.'s decision to allow Huawei into its market, citing security concerns.

The reports "simply don't make sense," Huawei Vice President Victor Zhang said in a statement. "As a private company, 100% owned by employees, which has operated in the UK for 20 years, our priority has been to help mobile and broadband companies keep Britain connected, which in this current health crisis has been more vital than ever. This is our proven track-record.”

Downing Street did not immediately respond to POLITICO's request for comment.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/23/reports-uk-to-cut-huaweis-involvement-in-5g-network-275218

Mark
Ottawa

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #3754 on: May 25, 2020, 17:05:04 »
I've started following Accented Cinema on Youtube.  He has good analysis/reviews on various movies and branches into other stuff (his most popular video is "why aren't Chinese swords as popular as Japanese swords in films?") but his video about patriotism is pretty illuminating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK4jasq2uY8
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3755 on: May 26, 2020, 16:56:29 »
Start and near end of a post:

UK and Huawei/5G: Dragon Says my Way or else; plus Canadian Crown v, Meng Wanzhou

Further to this post and “Comments”,

Dragon Getting Ready to Devour Hong Kong–plus BoJo to Ban Huawei at last

here’s yet another example of the PRC’s “Wolf Warrior” public diplomacy in a story by Will Glasgow (tweets here) of The Australian, note mentions of Canada–how can anyone (looking at you PM Trudeau) still think its possible to do normal business, or have decent relations, with the Chicoms these days?..

And what happens if the decision on dual criminality goes against Meng Wanzhou tomorrow (May 27) in her fight against extradition to the US? And will PM Trudeau’s justice minister dare approve an appeal of the decision if it goes in her favour?

Premature victory lap? Meng Wanzhou poses ahead of momentous court decision
Huawei executive spotted at celebratory weekend photo shoot on B.C. court steps

https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/05/26/uk-and-huawei-5g-dragon-says-my-way-or-else-plus-canadian-crown-v-meng-wanzhou/

Mark
Ottawa

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3756 on: Yesterday at 15:48:27 »
The courthouse steps photo show may have been a bit premature.

Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou loses major court battle as B.C. judge rules extradition bid should proceed
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/meng-wanzhou-extradition-decision-1.5585737
Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes released her decision Wednesday morning

Jason Proctor · CBC News · Posted: May 27, 2020 4:00 AM PT | Last Updated: 22 minutes ago

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has delivered a major blow to Meng Wanzhou, ruling that extradition proceedings against the Huawei executive should proceed.

In a widely anticipated decision on so-called double criminality, Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes said the offence Meng is accused of by American prosecutors would be considered a crime if it occurred in Canada.

The 48-year-old chief financial officer of the telecommunications giant is charged with fraud in the United States for allegedly deceiving banks into a possible violation of U.S. economic sanctions against Iran.

In a 23-page ruling released Wednesday, Holmes said that the essence of Meng's alleged crime is fraud.

And the fact that Canada doesn't have the same economic sanctions against Iran as the U.S. wouldn't stop someone being prosecuted in Canada for the same offence.

"Canada's law of fraud looks beyond international boundaries," Holmes wrote in her decision.

"Ms. Meng's approach to the double criminality analysis would seriously limit Canada's ability to fulfil its international obligations in the extradition context for fraud and other economic crimes."

Meng appeared in court shortly after the public release of the decision, showing no visible reaction to the loss. She wore a mask as she took her place beside her defence lawyers in the courtroom.

Extradition hearings to proceed
The executive was arrested at Vancouver's airport in December 2018 on an extradition warrant. She is accused of lying to an HSBC executive in Hong Kong about Huawei's control of a company that was said to be violating U.S. economic sanctions against Iran.

Prosecutors claim that Meng's alleged lies put banks at risk of prosecution and loss because they would be violating U.S. sanctions themselves in handling Huawei's finances.

. . .

And the question is what will be the Chinese government reaction, especially as it pertains to the two Canadians held in custody?
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline CBH99

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3757 on: Yesterday at 16:41:46 »
I think one of the main reasons why our government hasn't taken a firm stance against China yet, is precisely because they wanted to secure the release of the two Canadians in custody before doing so.

On the surface, our government has been afraid to say anything bad about China.  And they are criticized for it, and rightfully so.  I imagine behind the scenes (key word is, I imagine...I could be completely wrong) -- I imagine this is because they wanted to secure their release, before making some key decisions on trade, Huawei, etc etc.

This will make things even more interesting.

My personal opinion, it's time for the 5 Eyes to truly come together in all aspects, and for the west to unite.  As much as we may not like Trump as President, it's better we have a solid friendly relationship with our family & neighbours to the south, especially with China in the rise.

We NEED them.  And they benefit greatly from us.  We all have friends and family on either side of the border, we share a continent, we share values and lifestyle, and we are lucky to have the world's greatest superpower as our good friend & next door neighbour.  With China on the rise, I think it's time to really solidify that relationship for all of the obvious reasons   :2c:
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?

Online ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #3758 on: Yesterday at 16:51:34 »
And the question is what will be the Chinese government reaction, especially as it pertains to the two Canadians held in custody?

Indignation, outrage, and ugliness.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3759 on: Yesterday at 21:56:21 »
Chinese reaction: our two will swiftly have a sham trial, guilty verdict, harsh sentence, perhaps even death sentence (commutable upon return of their exec).
... Move!! ...

Online MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
« Reply #3760 on: Today at 13:34:01 »
Start of a post:

“Joint Statement from the UK, Australia, Canada, and United States on Hong Kong”, plus Terry Glavin (and Jonathan Manthorpe)

Further to this post,

Dragon vs Hong Kong Cartoon of the Day, plus Globe and Mail’s Editorial

I’m glad PM Trudeau’s government saw its way to agreeing with this sharpish text...
https://mark3ds.wordpress.com/2020/05/28/joint-statement-from-the-uk-australia-canada-and-united-states-on-hong-kong-plus-terry-glavin/

Mark
Ottawa