Author Topic: Comparing the Combat Arms (Inf vs. Engr vs. Armd vs. Arty)  (Read 135724 times)

Offline Patrick.R

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry vs Armour: SALH vs. PPCLI 4th Battalion (Loyal Eddies)
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2012, 16:29:41 »
I'm slightly biased but I would recommend joining The Eddies, great unit with a lot of solid, committed members. Definitely show up on Wednesday night you can pick brains of guys from both units and get to see some training possibly (could be really informative, or just a cleaning/organizational night).

Also on a side note towards courses/training. We (LER) are managing to run more and more courses in house, we've got a decent amount of guys qualified as instructors for several courses.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping to go in next Wednesday, as I just finished my exams. At the moment, the LER is my first choice.
Unfortunately, I was told that the LER wasn't accepting new applicants, and I want to be in as soon as possible.
Maybe talking to people will convince me that the infantry is worth the wait, however.

Would you know approximately what time is the best time to come in?

Offline sharp_85

• Rate Post
Re: Infantry vs Armour: SALH vs. PPCLI 4th Battalion (Loyal Eddies)
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2012, 15:14:38 »
Well then I might see you there! I've been away for a while for work but should be back this Wednesday. We start at 1900 but it should be a CO's parade which means inspection and some updates so if you're there by about 1930 - 2000 everyone should be getting on with the business for the night and the recruiting staff should be in their office. Those will be the best people to talk to about whether we are accepting new applicants or not.

I'm not sure who the recruiting staff are anymore, but the clerks at the office as you come in will be able to help you. Or at the least find someone who can! Good luck.

Offline KiloActual

• Rate Post
Re: Comparing the Combat Arms (Inf vs. Engr vs. Armd vs. Arty)
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2017, 20:02:32 »
Infantry is a glorious privilege  :subbies:

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2017, 15:15:30 »
Yeah, well I have a shirt that says:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger;

Except the Royal Canadian Armour Corp,
They will kill you and then sing songs about it.

Speed and violence, all the way!
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker

Offline Denty618

• Rate Post
Questions about Infantry and Armoured (more specific in description)
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2017, 15:23:21 »
I've been considering Armoured for quite some time now, but my biggest issue is relying on a giant machine instead of my own mind and body. Also, ive been trying to find a diffinitive answer on which rifle crewman carry, if any. Some say C8s, which make sense being shorter than the C7. I also am a fairly restless guy, always bouncing my leg and looking around. I love the idea of being Infantry, hiking and clearing buildings. But Im not looking forward too being around a bunch of meathead guys whose biggest issue is how tough they are because I got enough of that playing rugby. I was honours all through highschool, my dad doesnt want me to be in the army but he would prefer if I became a signal opperator or work in an intelligence based field. Are my assumptions about both trades wrong or is there a better trade for me to go into? Thankyou.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Questions about Infantry and Armoured (more specific in description)
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2017, 17:14:56 »
I've been considering Armoured for quite some time now, but my biggest issue is relying on a giant machine instead of my own mind and body. Also, ive been trying to find a diffinitive answer on which rifle crewman carry, if any. Some say C8s, which make sense being shorter than the C7. I also am a fairly restless guy, always bouncing my leg and looking around. I love the idea of being Infantry, hiking and clearing buildings. But Im not looking forward too being around a bunch of meathead guys whose biggest issue is how tough they are because I got enough of that playing rugby. I was honours all through highschool, my dad doesnt want me to be in the army but he would prefer if I became a signal opperator or work in an intelligence based field. Are my assumptions about both trades wrong or is there a better trade for me to go into? Thankyou.

See also,

OP: Denty618
I've been considering Armoured for quite some time now, but my biggest issue is relying on a giant machine instead of my own mind and body. Also, ive been trying to find a definitive answer on which rifle crewman carry, if any. Most say C8s, which make sense being shorter than the C7. I also am a fairly restless guy, always bouncing my leg and looking around. I love the idea of being Infantry, hiking and clearing buildings. But Im not looking forward too being around a bunch of meathead guys whose biggest issue is how tough they are because I got enough of that playing rugby. I was honours all through highschool, my dad doesnt want me to be in the army but he would prefer if I became a signal opperator or work in an intelligence based field. Are my assumptions about both trades wrong or is there a better trade for me to go into? Thankyou.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
Re: Questions about Infantry and Armoured (more specific in description)
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2017, 18:00:00 »

That's a pretty high opinion you've got of yourself there, along with a pretty low one of people you think you may want to serve with. Maybe you need to educate yourself a little before you start spouting off about "meatheads" and whatever else.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Denty618

• Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2017, 18:14:21 »
That's a pretty high opinion you've got of yourself there, along with a pretty low one of people you think you may want to serve with. Maybe you need to educate yourself a little before you start spouting off about "meatheads" and whatever else.
I can see how that would come across arrogant. I meant to ask if that is the kind of guys that are in infantry as Ive heard. I didnt mean to accuse all Infantry men as being meatheads. It was an error on my part, thankyou for pointing it out.