Author Topic: Question for the PG (Pre-Goretex) guys.  (Read 6983 times)

Offline UberCree

• Rate Post
  • Sua Sponte
Question for the PG (Pre-Goretex) guys.
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:29:38 »
How do you get the smell off of the old rain jackats / pants?  Smells like, what best can be described as ... manure.

Also,
What is the best way to wash the felt liner in the mukluks? 
What is the best way to wash the winter mitts?

Merci, Ekosi, Thank you.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
Re: Question for the PG (Pre-Goretex) guys.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 10:44:19 »
Just toss your rainsuit in the wash. You'll never really get rid of the smell though.

Open the mukluk socks and wash on gentle, with cold water. Hang dry. They're wool and will shrink otherwise.

Gentle cycle, hang dry for the mitts.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 14:08:49 »
You probably already know, but don't wash the outers.  The leather turns to stone, ditto for the old trigger mitts (my fave army handgear ever).
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 15:08:56 »
How do you get the smell off of the old rain jackats / pants?   Smells like, what best can be described as ... manure.

If it smells like manure, either it's got manure on it, or it went moldy... remember, next time you get home after an exercise, dry your kit...
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline UberCree

• Rate Post
  • Sua Sponte
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 15:34:54 »
I bought a bunch of kit from a surplus retailer for an outdoor education program. 

I will send a memo to the CDS to tell him to better dry his kit before he sells it to civies like myself. 

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 16:04:33 »
You probably already know, but don't wash the outers.   The leather turns to stone, ditto for the old trigger mitts (my fave army handgear ever).

Kat,

I've never had a problem, as long as you cold water wash and hang dry them. Their a little stiff, but will work back soft afterwards. No different than them getting wet in the snow.The dryer will screw them up though.
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 16:37:31 »
I bought a bunch of kit from a surplus retailer for an outdoor education program.  

I will send a memo to the CDS to tell him to better dry his kit before he sells it to civies like myself.  

If you're a civvie, then perhaps you should ditch the Lieutenant bars?
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline UberCree

• Rate Post
  • Sua Sponte
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 16:40:21 »
Ssshhh, I am not really a civie ...  

Does that satisfy you?

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 16:54:11 by UberCree »

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 17:30:00 »
If it smells like manure, either it's got manure on it, or it went moldy... remember, next time you get home after an exercise, dry your kit...

Don't be a knob.  The freaking thing has always stunk and smells like vomit to me.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Danjanou

• Reporting from Goat Rodeo Central
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Butt Party NCO on the 81mm Mortar Range
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 17:33:20 »
Don't be a knob.   The freaking thing has always stunk and smells like vomit to me.

Yeah I agree more a vomit than manure smell, and that was fairly well cared for kit (mine). I can only imagine what stuff that's been laying around in storage at the local surplus store reeks like :o.
NASA spent $12 Million designing a pen that could write in the zero gravity environment of space. The Russians went with pencils.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 21:34:35 »
Don't be a knob.   The freaking thing has always stunk and smells like vomit to me.

Rain gear? Really? Mine smells fine, every time it smells a bit off I just wash it... smells fine again...

Now, my ground sheet on the other hand... actually, my ground sheet smells fine too... got rid of the old stank-arse rotton-cheese ground sheet I had got two of the new ground sheets, tiny bit heavier, but more durable, no smell...

Offline the 48th regulator

A mans gotta eat.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Emancipate yourself from mental slavery.
    • Green Veterans Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 21:37:46 »
Just a Sig Op,

When I was issued my rain gear, your bib smelled just like it...

cool the jets and let the people who know about the gack exchange some information...

dileas

tess

I know that I’m not perfect and that I don’t claim to be, so before you point your fingers make sure your hands are clean.

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 22:55:40 »
Rain gear? Really? Mine smells fine, every time it smells a bit off I just wash it... smells fine again...

Now, my ground sheet on the other hand... actually, my ground sheet smells fine too... got rid of the old stank-arse rotton-cheese ground sheet I had got two of the new ground sheets, tiny bit heavier, but more durable, no smell...

See, your not listening (or reading). Ubercree said he bought OLD stuff. Anyone that's been around longer than Sunday knows he doesn't mean the NEW stuff your issued now. Just in case you missed 48th's point, the old stuff smelled like baby puke, and still does. You obviously have nothing to add, since all the gear we're talking about is almost older than you. Please be a gentleman and bow out gracefully.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 23:31:56 »
I was En Force for a Phase II (I think) course in Chilcotin in '85.  They were issued their gear very recently.  We were doing a night sneak and peek on their defensive position, and we could smell their rain gear and hootchies long before we ever saw the trenchline....no shyt, that stuff stank sitting on the shelf.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 23:41:37 »
See, your not listening (or reading). Ubercree said he bought OLD stuff. Anyone that's been around longer than Sunday knows he doesn't mean the NEW stuff your issued now. Just in case you missed 48th's point, the old stuff smelled like baby puke, and still does. You obviously have nothing to add, since all the gear we're talking about is almost older than you. Please be a gentleman and bow out gracefully.

Since he said pre-goretex, I simply assumed he meant the current issue rubber rain gear. Of which mine smells fine (But does stink very much like manure/mold if stored wet, not that puke smell of the ground sheets). If he's referring to kit older then that, then sure, I'm wrong.

Now quit with the age based attacks. You old guys might break a hip :)

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 23:44:30 »
Ubercree,

If you need more info, PM me or some of the others here. Right now, I think you got enough to get started. Time to put the kid on a sugar high to bed.