Author Topic: New RMC duty dress?  (Read 23485 times)

Offline Sailing Instructor

• Rate Post
Re: New RMC duty dress?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2006, 18:21:24 »
As a non-RMC student, I can never know the comfort level of the battle blouse, &c.  However, I will still make an argument from what I can know.  This is one of the few uniforms left that are symbols of a particular unit's identity.  To get rid of this for the sake of dry cleaning would be to let the costs outweigh the benefits. 

First, you should not have to dryclean the things that often.  Drycleaning is more damaging to clothes than leaving them dirty, thus the only rationale for doing this is to get rid of dirt that would mitigate the benefits of wearing the clothes (i.e. the clothes positively stink with sweat, they have unslightly stains).  From what I know of inspections, some lint-brushing and spot cleaning of spattering on trouser cuffs (from winter slush) will suffice for a pass.  (Are the cuffs on No 5's tucked in and bloused?)  If you have wrinkles, you are not hanging up your clothes.  After one good pressing (even by yourself), they should be fine.  The fact that poly-wool blends will keep their wrinkles longer is a moot point as the DEUs are a poly-wool blend (if no 5's are not pure wool, as I am led to believe by previous posts).

Secondly, sitting in class all day does not require combats/flightsuits.  Just because civvy university students have taken to such abombinations as pyjama-wearing, does not mean the CF needs to give up all appearances for comfort.  Ironically, the no5's are old combats anyway and should be comfortable.

Thirdly, the trousers are held up with suspenders.  You are, therefore, enjoying the most comfortable lower-half of a CF uniform that you will never experience after RMC, with the exception of mess dinners. 

Thus, to toss away this uniform in favour of another that will not symbolise the tradtion would be a mistake because the reasons in favour of change do not outweigh the conservative argument.

Offline GO!!!

• Fallen Comrade
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Often have I regretted my speech, never my silence
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2006, 23:01:34 »
Thirdly, the trousers are held up with suspenders.  You are, therefore, enjoying the most comfortable lower-half of a CF uniform that you will never experience after RMC, with the exception of mess dinners. 

I see you have never experienced the joy associated with cbt pants, held up with suspenders, sans underwear and belt. Quite......liberating, especially in the summer months!
No leader was ever hated for being too hard, but a great many were for attempting to appear that way.

Offline loyalist

• Think of something clever when you see this
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2006, 08:15:06 »
The no.5 pants are generally disliked as part of a duty dress due to their pockets, which can hold little more than a room keycard and your student ID. No.5's are generally comfortable, some people fenuinely hate the battle blouse, though and the chin strap on tje kepi is a real nusance. All in all, I think they're pretty comfortable and professional-looking. I just wish we didn't have a chin strap on our kepi!
"C'est impossible! Ah, les Canadiens? C'est possible!"
French soldier learning of the Canadian captue of Vimy ridge.

Offline RecceDG

• Rate Post
  • Carpe terram inferam!
    • Far North Racing
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2006, 10:38:46 »
What, and get rid of the uber-sexy CMC chinstrap tanline?

I think that the distinctive CMC uniforms are a good way to emphasise that RMC is its own little world, partially removed from the operational CF.

The CWC is effectively a Col. when he/she graduates, but the day after graduation, both the former CWC and the lowliest slasher are equals - and equally inexperienced when it comes to their actual trade. The uniform helps build this distinction, and helps make the transition from the artificial Disneyland of RMC to the reality of the real CF a little easier.

Conversely, there is value to the College's internal "rank" structure of Year and Position. Adopting a "real" uniform like DEUs or combats means adopting the CMC rank insignia to the real uniform - and then you have potential confusion when somebody from the real world encouters CMC insignia.

I know from personal experience that a COMSEC in #4 is easily mistaken for a US Marine Captain - no sense in making things any worse.

DG 
D. Grant

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

Offline Aquilus

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2006, 23:41:25 »
Getting rid of the chinstrap would equal hell on a windy day, which here on the peninsula, is basically a bloody storm at least once a week.

Offline mick

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2006, 15:59:16 »
The whole point of getting rid of No.5 does not have anything to do with saving on drycleaning or comfort (although winter dress does suck). 

The Commandant has long wanted (he was previously Director of Cadets) to realign RMC to become more reflective of the CF in general.  In effect he DOESN'T want the College to be its own little world.

As for tradition, Scarlets (and maybe No. 4s) WILL definitely be kept, for use during formal or ceremonial occasions.

I don't believe that the loss of everyday rank insignia (as worn on 5s) will have any effect on the Wing: UTPNCMs here follow a similar chain of command (ie Squadron Senior, Flight Leaders) while wearing No 3s everyday, without any special insignia.  Furthermore, 1st Years are required to memorize the top College positions as well as those in their sqn chain of command.  Everyone KNOWS who their Section Commanders, Flight Leaders, and Sqn Seniors are, with or without insignia.

I think an easy and cheap solution would be CADPAT as daily dress (we wear it every Wednesday already) with a common black beret with CMC cap badge.  Everyone, regardless of occupation or environment has them, and a black beret would mirror the headdress worn by the Old Brigade already, and would retain a small measure of uniformity.

Just my 2 cents.