Author Topic: Steward: Training/the work (merged)  (Read 63712 times)

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
Re: Wanted: A Steward's Insight
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2014, 09:58:42 »
Of course. Thank-you. No, never had the pleasure.

Mind you, I have had one or two laps around the Pacific Ocean and, now that you mention it, during flight deck cocktail parties, I have seen Stewards run the bar.

I will stand by my position that I have rarely, if ever, seen a Steward behind the bar in the Wardroom of a West Coast ship.

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:31 »
A search for Steward, Training brought up a 6 page discussion on these questions in New to the Navy.
:crystalball:  I see a merge coming ....

Milnet.ca Staff
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline GreenMarine

• Rate Post
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2014, 17:50:16 »
:crystalball:  I see a merge coming ....

Milnet.ca Staff

Yay all the knowledge at my finger tips... and Yes SeaGully I'll shoot you a PM when I got some questions done up. Good ones not the silly ones like "I've heard the Steward trade is dead or being cancelled." (If I had a penny for each time I heard X trade is being merged or discontinued I'll I may have a dollar.)

And SeaKing... The MS and Below Log dept (males) were in the same mess and their stories is how I know Stewards get some training to serve and mix drinks. Why else could they prey on the junoir officers for free drinks while in foreign ports and then serve the same officer the next night when the VIPs come for some party.

Either way I'm waiting on Ottawa for my AVOTP, so I shouldn't get my hopes to high at this point. 
"conciliatrix actuarius commilitium"

("She who unites fast sailing vessels for companionship in war.")

Offline AlphaBravo

Ready, Aye, Ready.

• Rate Post
Re: Steward: Training/the work (merged)
« Reply #178 on: May 21, 2014, 08:00:51 »
I had a question about Steward and was actually unable to find it, but do you start off with the Navy then down the road get to choose Air Force? Or can you choose the Air Force from the get go?
Ready, Aye, Ready

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #179 on: May 21, 2014, 10:51:23 »
Steward is considered a hard sea trade. That said, as many serve Army and AF as Navy.
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline AlphaBravo

Ready, Aye, Ready.

• Rate Post
« Reply #180 on: May 21, 2014, 19:11:09 »
Steward is considered a hard sea trade. That said, as many serve Army and AF as Navy.

So eventually down that long road I could transfer to an Air Force or Army situation?
Ready, Aye, Ready

Offline neacha67

• Rate Post
Navy Steward as a female
« Reply #181 on: September 24, 2017, 13:33:39 »
Hi, I am having trouble with this site. Any question I ask is usually respond to with links to other threads which I read in their entirety and still don't have the answer I am looking for. It gets very tiring reading 20 pages and still not getting an answer close to what I am looking for. I am not complaining just maybe I am not doing something properly. Here is my question. I just finished my aptitude test and applied to be a steward. What is the life like? Is it hard to get into if you have a lot of previous experience (restaurants /management)? Also is there a lot of women in the trade?
Thank you so much for yout help. Also if someone could give me some pointer on how to navigate this site better.

Laura

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #182 on: September 24, 2017, 14:43:12 »
We appreciate that some threads are excessively long, generally because many questions are asked repetitively and are then merged into the appropriate existing thread each time (plus, of course, the inevitable tangents like this one). Merging is the best that we can do to keep the Site relatively uncluttered.

Reading through them at least (hopefully) imparts some general knowledge about the subject, which (hopefully) leads to more refined questions.

We certainly do not mind questions, but we do prefer that members do a little homework first.

Previous experience is seldom a bad thing, as long as one can adapt to the CF way of doing things and avoid getting stuck in old habits. Previous experience is also not required for most occupations.

Regardless of the percentage of women in any given occupation, one is still going to be working in a largely male environment, for whatever that's worth. I'm not sure why you are asking that question, though.

Offline neacha67

• Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: September 24, 2017, 15:36:04 »
Thanks I was just maybe wanting a female prospective. I am used to working in mostly male dominated professions. I guess I am just trying to get an idea of what to expect.
Thanks!!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Navy Steward as a female
« Reply #184 on: September 24, 2017, 15:40:30 »
Also is there a lot of women in the trade?

I haven't noticed the ratio of male / female stewards being any different than the ratio of male / female sailors overall.
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline knawktwice

• Rate Post
« Reply #185 on: Yesterday at 13:26:49 »
Would anyone happen to know when the next QL3 for steward is happening? Thanks!