Author Topic: Becoming a Sniper (merged)  (Read 97220 times)

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
Re: Snipers
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2010, 10:43:21 »
For one thing, that website is for the RCD, not the RCR and it states:
then:
Not really sure how the two are related, unless it's to prove the requirement for a Sniper platoon.

To be fair to the poster, the C Sqn page he referred to is indeed part of the RCD webpage, but C Sqn is also the 2 RCR BG Recce Sqn in Gagetown (part of the OBG). That Recce Sqn has a Sniper Platoon with two sections and it is at full strength right now. I can't speak definitively about the other battalions, but I think that most have one section.

Cheers
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2010, 10:52:38 »
I've seen the larger sniper organizations elsewhere and the organization is "doctrine" according to the GMR Pamphlet.

Is there any movement with the C Sqn experiment to see Armoured Soldiers moving into the organization, or is it still the domain of the infantry?
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2010, 11:06:45 »
Cole, took this from the RCD Site:

RCD 125th Anniversary Parade at CFB Gagetown
Written by MCpl Todd

2008 is the year the Royal Canadian Dragoons celebrate their 125th birthday. Throughout the year, many parades have happened in locations where Dragoons have been based or have served, the largest of which was held at the Parliament building in Ottawa. And on October 25th, it was time for CFB Gagetown to be recognized.

Historically, the RCD have had a presence in CFB Gagetown since the conception of the Canadian Forces Base. Recently, Recce Squadron, was formed from ‘C’ Sqn as part of the Battle Group 2021 Experiment, once again establishing an operational Dragoon presence in CFB Gagetown.

As part of the 125th celebrations, a parade was held at the base museum. Dragoons from Recce Squadron and the Armoured School, both long time serving members and young soldiers new to the Canadian Forces, came together to acknowledge CFB Gagetown’s significance in the history of the Dragoons.

Many dignitaries were there including LCol M.A. Frank (CO RCD), CWO D.W. Head (RSM RCD), LCol G.S. Parker (CO 2RCR), CWO K.V. Burgess (RSM 2RCR), Col S.J. Bowes (Comd CTC) as well as the mayor of Oromocto and many veterans.

During the parade, the history of the Dragoons was read including the many times the Dragoons have served proudly at CFB Gagetown, not just on extra-regimental duties, but also as operational squadrons. Special mention was also given to the newly created 2 RCR Recce Squadron.

Many thanks were given to the town of Oromocto and CFB Gagetown for their hospitality towards Dragoons, past and present.

The troops on parade stood proudly that crisp fall morning and performed their drill with excellence.  Nothing less would be expected as this is the way Dragoons have done in the past, and the way they will continue to do so in the future.

BOLDED ITEMS MY EMPHASIS.

C SQN RCD seems to consist of the fol:

RECCE PLATOON
SNIPER PLATOON
RECCE TROOP

And my guess is that C SQN forms part of 2 RCR, Kilo COY (any RCR's confirm this please)
Kilo Company is the battalion's combat support company. It contains reconnaissance, sniper, and signals platoons, the battalion headquarters and a military police detachment. Kilo Company is affiliated with the city of Fredericton New Brunswick.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:44 »
Just to clear things up, C Sqn is not part of K Company. C Sqn is known in 2 RCR as "Recce Sqn" and it is a sub-unit of its own (G, H, I, Recce, K and L). It consists of:

a.  SHQ
   b.  Recce Platoon (Infantry Recce Patrolmen in LUVW)
   c.  Recce Troop (Armoured Recce in Coyotes)
   d.  Sniper Platoon

We are adding a second Recce Troop in April.

Infanteer,

I believe that the Sniper Platoon is now the doctrinal construct, but I am not sure if the other battalions have the platoon on their actual manning slate (as opposed to a section). 2 RCR had been leaning forward in terms of Sniper numbers so we were able to fill the second section.

As of yet we have not placed any Crewmen in Sniper Platoon. I have no plans to do so in the near future, but I rule nothing out.

Cheers

T2B
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:06 »
Thanks T2B for clearing that up.

:cheers:
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2010, 11:26:10 »
Well, there you go, you learn something new everyday.  I guess I can go home now!   ;)
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #156 on: February 03, 2010, 14:15:18 »
The sniper group as employed in Recce Sqn, 2 RCR BG, is doctrine and is part of all inf battalions.  Whether or not it's manned to 100% is another matter.
So, there I was....

Offline VinceW

• Rate Post
« Reply #157 on: February 03, 2010, 15:46:48 »
Okay,thanks for the info.
"You have two choices in life,be wise or be brave,always choose to be brave"

Chinese Proverb

"Marxism is the Opiate of the Intellectuals"

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2010, 15:54:19 »
The sniper group as employed in Recce Sqn, 2 RCR BG, is doctrine and is part of all inf battalions.  Whether or not it's manned to 100% is another matter.

The Ninja snipers, on the other hand...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Warwick

• Rate Post
Course Selection Process?
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2014, 18:18:49 »
I remember in High School, I got to select which compulsory courses I got to attend after completing my career studies. Is there a similar process within the forces? I'd like to have some control over guiding my career, but I do not know the way courses are handled; is my course load just assigned to me based on what the forces need from me? Or do I get to select which courses I want to take.

The reason I ask is that I go through my BMQ in a month, then battle-school after that, then I become Infantry. MY goal in life has been leading to me being a part of a sniper team, and I have already passed the first two hurdles (getting in and getting my first choice, infantry).

I know I have 4 years to serve before I can become Cpl. Do I get to pick up courses during that time? Is there a course calculator with which courses are required for which Specialty trade?

If this is a repost please delete, just wondering where to start.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 18:26:21 by Warwick »
Ever been the 1st person to receive Secondhand intel from a 3rd party 4 days after someone 5 ranks higher then you sent it out at 6 in the morning?

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -6495.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
Re: Course Selection Process?
« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2014, 19:10:12 »
For the first few years, you'll take the courses your told to. After a while, different courses may be offered to which you can apply. Doesn't mean you'll get picked though.

About everything you've asked about can be found by doing some searching and reading in the Recruiting Forum.

We don't spoon feed people here. Go there and do some of your own legwork. It's part of the culture your joining.

Corruption in politics doesn't scare me.
What scares me is how comfortable people are doing nothing about it.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Becoming a Sniper (merged)
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2015, 18:20:49 »
Great set of photos of the German countryside.  Don't read the captions - and try to spot the sniper in each one.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2015/01/20/simon_menner_camouflage_is_a_conceptual_look_at_snipers_in_germany_photos.html

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Infantryhopeful2

• Rate Post
Sniper
« Reply #162 on: November 28, 2015, 19:07:54 »
Is becoming a sniper a reasonable goal?

How hard is it to become one?

What do you need to do to become one?

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Sniper
« Reply #163 on: November 28, 2015, 19:15:18 »
1.  Yes
2.  The course can be challenging
3.  You must be in the Infantry, then selected for  Recce course.  Then if found suitable selected for the Sniper course. Pass the course and then asked to be part of the sniper cell.  You don't to be in Recce platoon at the time of being selected for the sniper course but it helps.
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Sniper
« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2015, 23:29:29 »
I have highlighted the most pertinent segment from the "READ FIRST" thread in the "Ask a CAF Recruiter" forum, and will merge this series of posts into the "Becoming a Sniper (merged)" thread. It really is NOT hard to find answers to your questions on this Site. Snipers are expected to use their initiative. Start now. Get into the habit.

Welcome to the “Ask a CAF Recruiter” section. The members tagged as “CAF Recruiter” are official Canadian Armed Forces recruiters. They will identify themselves with their rank, first name and the Forces.ca avatar. In order to best answer questions, there are some rules that need to be adhered to.

This section is for persons who have questions about joining the Canadian Armed Forces, occupations, different enrolment programs, and prerequisites. Much of the information can be found at Forces.ca, or the Recruiting FAQ and wiki section of this site. Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers.

We will not answer questions about technical difficulties with the application process, or the website. We will not answer questions about difficulties contacting your recruiting centre or general inquires with regards to your current application or file. These questions can be asked here: http://forces.ca/en/page/contactus-73

If you are a Canadian Armed Forces member or work in recruiting, and notice a discrepancy in the information provided in this section, please private message one of the team members and we will rectify the issue as soon as possible. Keep in mind that the members of this team work for the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters, and therefore have access to the most recent policies.