Author Topic: Amber Alerts  (Read 10760 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Amber Alerts
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2019, 23:17:43 »
I stopped dead at a green light this afternoon too allow a fire truck to cross the intersection.  The oxygen thief behind me leaned on the horn at me, Then pulled up beside me as the light turned red, rolled down his window and started to say something.

Some drivers pull over and stop. Some keep on going. Some like to tail-gate. Some just slam on their brakes...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 23:20:37 by mariomike »

Offline Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2019, 21:05:30 »
- The oxygen thief behind me leaned on the horn at me, Then pulled up beside me as the light turned red, rolled down his window and started to say something.

I'm envisioning the scene in Sicario where grenades get tossed into open windows...
Living the lean life

Offline kratz

Back into the Fall routine.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2019, 12:40:55 »
CTV.ca

It's good news the child is safe. I can't help but feel the police are looking for a positive story after the recent backlash with these alerts.

Five-year-old Ontario boy found safe; Amber Alert ends

A five-year-old Ontario boy whose disappearance prompted an Amber Alert has been found safe, police say.

The boy was reported missing Thursday morning by his father after failing to show up to school in Mississauga, Ont.

Police had been searching for the boy and his 47-year-old mother, who they say picked him up from school Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators had received information that the boy and his mother may have been travelled from Mississauga to London, Ont. Police said they were both found safe Thursday evening in Tilbury, Ont., nearly 150 kilometres southwest of London, "as a direct result of the Amber Alert."

Further details were not immediately available.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2019, 16:37:19 »
July 11, 2019

Ontarians Are Still Making Angry 911 Calls To Complain About Amber Alerts
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/on/toronto/ontario-amber-alert-once-again-leads-to-angry-911-calls-from-residents-police-claim

"Some of the calls have been abusive and very rude."

Police have once again been receiving complaints from residents after issuing an Ontario Amber Alert at around 3:00 AM on Thursday. The alert was for two young boys, ages two and four, and their grandfather who had last been seen in Newmarket on Wednesday afternoon. Thankfully, a Toronto Police constable located their vehicle on Lake Shore Boulevard early Thursday morning. Authorities were able to resolve the matter without incident and cancelled the alert shortly thereafter.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2019, 13:37:49 »
Unlike other places, Amber Alerts in Canada get a huge response ...from people calling 911 to complain about them,
https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/late-night-amber-alert-triggers-widespread-complaints-to-911-province-wide

3 o’clock in the f–king morning — no — I haven’t seen her. This went off five f–king times. I am in Oshawa . What in the f–k are you thinking?

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 13:45:26 by mariomike »

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2019, 14:07:29 »
I don't understand why these people have their phones on, in a place where it disturbs them, if they don't want to ever be woken up at night.  How hard is it to unplug?  :facepalm:

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2019, 15:07:18 »
Ontario needs to pass a 911 Act and start laying fines. These idiots will shut up then.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2019, 15:11:59 »
Pelmorex needs to fix their geo ranges for alerts and properly geo target them, ignoring provincial boundaries.  In Ottawa, I should get alerts from Montreal to Kingston, not Thunder Bay or Toronto.

From what I have been able to find, research shows the overwhelming majority of successes fund the missing child and / or perp in close proximity - I think the figure I saw was 100 miles.

Tools exist to do proper targeting of messages, but they haven't been implemented in Canada yet.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline BeyondTheNow

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2019, 15:22:55 »

If reasonable speculation exists to assume the parties are in close proximity to the areas being affected by the alerts, or possibly heading that way, then the alerts go out to said areas. It’s not like we’re getting alerts (at least I’m not) wrt an individual being abducted in BC 2hrs ago.

The entitled complaining and utter self-absorption is appalling. It’s not difficult to silence all notifications. I do it every night when I set my alarm. (It happens automatically with the touch of one button actually...IPhone 6s...not rocket science.) Not once have I been disturbed by an alert. I see it in the morning. ‘Read it, check out the news, continue on with my day. I’m with Brihard...fines are necessary. People clearly aren’t taking the hint not to tie up 911 with their ridiculous whining.
“I failed my way to success.” ~Thomas Edison

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2019, 15:45:33 »
People clearly aren’t taking the hint not to tie up 911 with their ridiculous whining.

Nothing new about ridiculous whining. Especially since 9-1-1 and cell phones came a long.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2019, 16:42:05 »
Pelmorex needs to fix their geo ranges for alerts and properly geo target them, ignoring provincial boundaries.  In Ottawa, I should get alerts from Montreal to Kingston, not Thunder Bay or Toronto.

From what I have been able to find, research shows the overwhelming majority of successes fund the missing child and / or perp in close proximity - I think the figure I saw was 100 miles.

Tools exist to do proper targeting of messages, but they haven't been implemented in Canada yet.

Four hour driving time from Toronto to Ottawa, and an alert will generally not come til several hours have elapsed and investigation has determined the risk. That’s well within what an individual with a plan could do. Some may just impulsively kidnap and take off with no plan, but others might be punching it for another province, a family member’s place in another city, whatever.

With a child’s life at stake, it’s worth annoying some people. I got woken up twice by the one the other night, as I have others. I accept it, same as I would accept a fire truck or ambulance going by with sirens on to someone in distress.

Thunder Bay’s a bit far, sure.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2019, 17:08:10 »
I will try to find the study I read earlier to share it (re: distance most successful AAs were from the initial incident).

But if it takes 4 hours to get out an "urgent" alert, we have some serious problems.  That's plenty of time to jump on an aircraft to another jurisdiction (see: Saudis accused of anything, even with electronic monitoring).
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2019, 17:26:28 »
I accept it, same as I would accept a fire truck or ambulance going by with sirens on to someone in distress.

After I retired, I heard they caved to public pressure and took the sirens, air horns and rumblers away.

Switched to this,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzodaDCD798
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 17:49:01 by mariomike »