Author Topic: Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund  (Read 269148 times)

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
Re: Soldier On Sports Recovery/Rehabilitation Fund
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2008, 10:54:39 »
Good Day to all;

I am writing my last post as a SAR Tech and will be shortly leaving the trade (not the military) to start my new position in Ottawa as the Soldier On Program Manager. I believe that I have made the right decision in pursuing a personal support postion and am looking forward at the opportunity to make a difference each and every day.

Thanks to all who have supported the CFSOF program and to those who continue to!

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean
Soldier On Program Manager

Offline CHIEF MILITARY PERSONNEL

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2008, 17:12:15 »
Sgt McLean:

Thanks for all of your work in establishing the programme. Believe there is alot more great work that you can do at the head of the programme that will benefit many more CF men and women in uniform. Look foward to meeting you on your arrival.

Ws

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2008, 12:21:58 »
Good Day to all;
Here is a link to a CBC story on Steve Daniel and his road to Beijing.
http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/special_feature/road_to_beijing/a_soldiers_battle.html

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean :salute: :cdn:

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2008, 13:56:16 »
Good Day to all;
The link posted is about a program called Project Healing Waters from the United States. Sgt Thompson 2 PPLI and Cpl Kozakiewicz (Koz) 2 PPCLI were the 2 Canadians mentioned. I chatted with Sgt Thompson and he said they had a great time. Soldier On provides resources for not only conventional recreational activity but for the unconventional as well.
As you read through the article you will see the effort made by those to put this together and Soldier On contributed the airfare for our guys to attend. I hope as our fund grows we can contribute even more.

To Dave and Koz thanks for your dedication and committment.

http://www.nativebrooktrout.com/features/feature9.html

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2008, 09:17:16 »
Recently Sgt Karen McCoy of 403 Sqn Camp Gagetown participated with the Canadian National Sitting Volleyball team in Oklahoma. They went down to gain knowledge and exp from the American National Team who are off to Beijing for the Paralympic games. Sgt McCoy had a great time and thanks everyone for their continued support of the Soldier On Program.
Without fund raising initiatives and donations we would not be able to provide these types of experiences for our athletically diverse CF members. Thanks again to all who continue to support the SO Program.
(Sgt McCoy is second from the right)

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2008, 10:30:50 »
Good Day to all;

Between the Canadian Paralympic Foundation and the CF Soldier On Fund we have surpassed the $100,000 mark. Funds are being used as the requests come in.
Our latest benefactor will be MCpl Rickard from North Bay who will be heading on a 5 day Kayak trip in B.C. with World T.E.A.M Sports.
The organizers approached us to include a CF member with an athletic diversity and MCpl Rickard accepted. He will get some pictures and will update us on his exp. The organization teams up non diverse and diverse athletes (disabled) to come together in completing a mission. The organizers also offered the spot "all expenses paid" so we did not have to dig to deep for this trip. Along with Project Healing Waters we hope to be able to send more CF members on these trips. He will also be joined by an American service man or woman.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2008, 12:40:02 »
Here is a picture of MCpl Rick Rickard being quickly followed by the Wing Commander of 19 Wing Comox Col. Bigelow. This years ski event will hopefully be held in Feb 09 and have between 5 and 10 CF members participating.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2008, 18:09:00 »
Good Day to all;  I have updated on this blog for close to 2 years now and have kept to updates and activities that have been going on across Canada with regards to Soldier On. This time my post is to get some greatly needed feedback from the Army.ca membership and guests. Here is the question/concern.

If I were to after these past couple of years tell you all that our focus from here on in will only be Active serving members and that the program will no longer focus on retired what would your response be?

My position on the Soldier On program is very well documented in this blog. [/color]

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2008, 12:54:51 »
Good Day to all;

In the past week we have received some very heavy cheques in support of the Soldier On Fund. 25,000/20,000. We received a cheque from the Good as Gold Golf tourny for $5000 http://www.goodasgoldopen.ca/ Thanks to the Canadian National Woman's Hockey Team for that.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2008, 14:13:14 »
Good Day to all;

I have been in Ottawa for 1 month now and am settling in my new position with the Soldier On program. We have had a basic foundation for the SO program in place for some time but had not yet developed the strategic plan which will bring this program to its full potential. CMP has given us guidance on this issue and with his instruction we will have a framework in place by October. Along with that a meeting with DVA is in the works to discuss retired members.
The program has been very successful up until now and we continue to provide financial support to those who have asked. With a strategic plan in place we can further the process of intergrating it into the mainstream culture of the CF.

We are doing the right thing.

I will be shortly posting our Key messages.

If at any time you have questions or concerns please feel free to contact me through the DIN or through Army.ca.

Once again a heart felt Thank you to all those who have given their time and efforts to help support the SO program.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2008, 14:32:46 »
Posting a few more pictures of our members in action.

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2008, 14:34:10 »
Cpl Joedy Campbell

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2008, 14:35:11 »
Mike Barnewall

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2008, 14:36:00 »
Group photo

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 14:36:45 »
Andrew,
Glad to see that things are going well and moving forward (VS being at dead stop or stuck in reverse).
While I don't wish crippling injuries on anyone... I am glad to see & hear that there is something and someone out there - looking after those unfortunate souls who were at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Best wishes

CHIMO!
Chimo!

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 10:12:32 »
A recent trip to Oklahoma by Sgt Karen McCoy with the Canadian National Sitting volleyball team. :salute: :cdn:

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 10:35:42 »
Glad to see everyone has found a way to get some pleasure back into their lives....
Chimo!

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2008, 12:38:46 »
So Andrew,

What's the news with the Para-Olympics?  Do we have anyone competing in the summer edition or can we expect to see anyone out in Vancouver?  That sledge hockey...now that's a crazy sport.  Just what I want to do...slide around on the ice with every player carrying around stikes with spikes on the end of them.   ;D  Sure is fun to watch though.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2008, 15:40:35 »
Hey Strike;
Sgt Steve Daniel (retired) will be part of our Canadian Paralympic Team in Beijing. I have included links from the Maple Leaf and CBC National News. I spoke with Steve last night and he continues to express his thanks to all who have helped him along the way. He will be leaving for Victoria on Sunday for a week of training then off to Beijing. His first race will be on Sept 9th. He is competing in the Arms only Rowing Division.
 :cdnsalute:  To all our Canadian Paralympic Team Members.

http://www.dnd.ca/site/Community/MapleLeaf/article_e.asp?id=4438
http://www.cbc.ca/national/blog/special_feature/archive/road_to_beijing/team_canada/a_soldiers_battle.html

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2008, 14:30:31 »
Two more pictures, Steve Daniel retired supporting the troops. Benson Auto Parts with their support.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On
Sgt Andrew McLean

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2008, 08:48:40 »
Good Day to all;
Just  a quick update on our meeting with Veterans Affairs Canada Liason Office representatives here in Ottawa. They were excited about the SO program and the potential it has regarding retired members.

Taken from our webpage:

CF Soldier On is symbolic of the women and men of the Canadian Forces.  In essence, it is the spirit of heroic inner perseverance and courage of the sailors, soldiers, airmen and airwomen of the Canadian Forces combined with the physical motion of marching forward, onward, and upward, toward the success of any given mission.

The program was created in 2007, with collaboration from the Canadian Paralympic Committee, to support the full and active participation of serving and retired sailors, soldiers, airmen and airwomen with a physical or psychological disability in physical fitness activity, recreation or sport.  The promotion of a healthy and active lifestyle is accomplished through the aim of optimizing physical and psychological recovery.  The program will promote and support the return to military service and is accomplished through close working relations with the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Forces.

Soldier On Fund  enhances and complements, it does not replace, all other sources of public and non-public funding programs.

The CF Soldier On Fund has been set-up as a Non-Public Property fund.  Non-Public Property is established by the National Defence Act and is used for the benefit of CF members, former members, and their families.  When Canadians make a donation to the CF Soldier On Fund they are donating to the Crown. 

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2008, 08:56:05 »
Andrew,

Given that the "Gov't of Canada workplace charitable campaign" is about to commence - have you registered the Soldier On Fund as a "Registered Charitable organisation" ?  ... Tax receipts, etc

(or is the "donation to the crown" equivalent - without the many restrictions & accounting headaches)

Chimo!

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2008, 09:13:39 »
Hi Geo;
When you make a donation to the Soldier On Fund you will be given a crown receipt for donations over $10. You can go through the website or mail your donation in if you so choose.
Heather who takes care of all the online and mail in donations makes out a receipt and it is sent out to the doner. You then can claim it on your taxes.
Does this answer your question. :cdn:

Offline Runner

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:11 »
Further to your questions;
www.cfsoldieron.ca
Will I receive a tax receipt for my donation?
Yes, you will receive a tax receipt.  Donations to the CF Soldier On Fund are receipted as donations to the Crown and are provided with tax receipts.  The tax treatment for donations to the Crown is similar to donations to registered charities.  However, there is no registered charity number for donations to the Crown.

Duty With Honour
Soldier On

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2008, 09:34:00 »
Andrew,
Yeah - you sorta answered my question but, I am just wondering how I can participate in the Gov't of Canada workplace charitable campaign (Deduction at source) while, at the same time, contributing to the Soldier On program.

(might suggest that, using the deductions at source - you'd possibly receive and continue to receive more $$$ for your programs)

CANADIAN FORCES PERSONNEL SUPPORT AGENCY does have it's own Tax number (118885755RR0001)
just want to know that, if I send you some $$$ from each pay, you guys should get it...
Chimo!