Author Topic: Naval High Collar White Tunic  (Read 47855 times)

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Ordering White Tunic online?
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 14:21:51 »
About the sword slit - is the white jacket even used on parade?  If we don't even make them any more, can you ask a whole division to wear it?

They are worn on parade from time to time, but we wear swords differently in Canada from how they do in the US.  In the US there is a slit on the left side of the jacket and the hook on the sword belt is passed through it allowing the scabbard to be hooked up with the sword in it.   In Canada we almost never wear the sword hooked up.  When the sword is drawn we hook up the empty scabbard under the jacket.

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 01:46:05 »
High collared BLACK tunic? Like the Storm Trooper officers of the Imperial Navy?

Huh... that would look... uh... interesting.

Or more like the Japanese Navy's high collared black tunics... those were... uh... interesting too.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 01:55:39 »
Or more like the Japanese Navy's high collared black tunics... those were... uh... interesting too.

Not to mention the Russians, a la Hunt for Red October.  Actually, come to think of it, it might not be a bad idea.  Maybe if the AF did it as well, in blue..."steal" one of the designs that the USAF has been toying with lately.  But I digress.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:14 »
High collared BLACK tunic? Like the Storm Trooper officers of the Imperial Navy?

Huh... that would look... uh... interesting.

Here's a picture of the naval full dress uniform (not currently worn in the CF):

http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/Camilla%20and%20Charles.jpg

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 08:53:13 »
Here's a picture of the naval full dress uniform (not currently worn in the CF):

http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/Camilla%20and%20Charles.jpg

Though, the "wavy navy" conly probably still get away with it....

(Uhh... does the wavy navy still exist ??? )
Chimo!

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2008, 16:36:14 »
(Uhh... does the wavy navy still exist ??? )

No, everybody wears the same straight stripes now.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 19:23:20 »
Umm... In fact, I was wondering if there is a definite line between the Reserve and Active Navy.
On the green side of the house, the Reserve/Militia have grandfathered dress regulations that go back to the old pre unification army which, in theory the Regs don't have..... but in actual fact - the Regs have also adopted.....

RCR Scarlets, PPCLI Scarlets, RCD & Strathcona mounted cavalry, 5 RGC guard kitted out in RCE Patrols.

Chimo!

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 22:26:11 »
Umm... In fact, I was wondering if there is a definite line between the Reserve and Active Navy.
On the green side of the house, the Reserve/Militia have grandfathered dress regulations that go back to the old pre unification army which, in theory the Regs don't have..... but in actual fact - the Regs have also adopted.....

RCR Scarlets, PPCLI Scarlets, RCD & Strathcona mounted cavalry, 5 RGC guard kitted out in RCE Patrols.

No such distinctions exist in the navy between regular and reserve components.

The culture of the navy has traditionally been to identify with the Service itself, not with a branch or regiment.  In most Commonwealth navies the officers' uniforms are all the same, regardless of branch.  In fact, I think Canada is the only country whose naval members wear different cap badges according to branch.  (I don't believe there are any navies still wearing different coloured cloth between officers' stripes to indicate branch, but that is a former practice in the RCN and other Commonwealth navies.)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 22:45:07 »
(I don't believe there are any navies still wearing different coloured cloth between officers' stripes to indicate branch, but that is a former practice in the RCN and other Commonwealth navies.)

Nursing and Medical officers do wear the scarlet cloth in between the officer's stripes, at least on DEU slip-ons.  I can't remember if they wear them on the tunic itself.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline N. McKay

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 07:38:20 »
Nursing and Medical officers do wear the scarlet cloth in between the officer's stripes, at least on DEU slip-ons.  I can't remember if they wear them on the tunic itself.

You're right, they do (and it is on the tunic as well).

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:52 »

Close, but not exactly correct.

A-AD-265-000/AG-001 CHAPTER 3 ANNEX D
4. Navy Medical Branch officers shall wear the following coloured distinction cloth between rank insignia braid on ceremonial, mess, service and base dress:
    a. medical officers – scarlet distinction cloth; and
    b. all other officers of the Medical Branch – maroon distinction cloth.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline ltmaverick25

• The keyboard is mightier then the sword!
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2008, 05:10:34 »
This may be a dumb question, but, when wearing the white tunic chocker, which shirt is worn underneath?  Are we wearing ties underneath?

Offline cobbler

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2008, 08:00:24 »
  (I don't believe there are any navies still wearing different coloured cloth between officers' stripes to indicate branch, but that is a former practice in the RCN and other Commonwealth navies.)

In the RAN our Medical, Nursing and Dental Officers have cloth between the stripes, but with those exceptions thats it these days.

This may be a dumb question, but, when wearing the white tunic chocker, which shirt is worn underneath?  Are we wearing ties underneath?

Unless the CF is different then there is no shirt underneath. Just tunic on skin. And its pretty bloody comfortable.
Unless you opted to wear a plain white t-shirt or singlet to prevent sweat from getting on the good stuff. Mind you, in hot weather and undershirt can often do more harm than good.

Offline Privateer

Looking for the bubble.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2008, 21:02:16 »
Most of the guys I know wear a white undershirt.  That's it.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2008, 08:32:56 »
When I used to wear patrols, I'd wear a singlet & a phony white colar.  Much more comfortable than shirt & tie... unless I put on some tonnage over the winter & the high colar started to dig in :piggy:
Chimo!

Offline Ibexto

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2008, 21:13:21 »

There is no such thing as a dumb question...  Anyhow, in answer to your question, you wear the tunic by itself, you can wear a white t-shirt or tanktop underneath.  The reason is with the collar, you cannot wear any other dress shirt underneath because of it.
Hope that helps,
Cheers.

Offline cheeky_monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 21:56:48 »
Is there a Canadian source for the high collar whites?
Verité, Devoir, Vaillance

Offline Old Navy

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 23:31:25 »
Is there a Canadian source for the high collar whites?

Any tailor that produces mess dress can fabricate high collar whites.  I would recommend Andre Tailors.  There is no source in Canada that sells of the rack.  Many officers will purchase through the USN (NEX) as the pattern is close enough to pass inspection.   A commercial source in the US that sells online is Marlow White.

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2008, 00:22:29 »
Many officers will purchase through the USN (NEX) as the pattern is close enough to pass inspection. 

The USN pattern IS the accepted pattern.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline cheeky_monkey

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2008, 21:38:17 »
Any tailor that produces mess dress can fabricate high collar whites.  I would recommend Andre Tailors.  There is no source in Canada that sells of the rack.  Many officers will purchase through the USN (NEX) as the pattern is close enough to pass inspection.   A commercial source in the US that sells online is Marlow White.

You sure Marlow White still carries them? All I could find was mess dress.
Verité, Devoir, Vaillance

Offline Old Navy

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 18:57:41 »
You sure Marlow White still carries them? All I could find was mess dress.

My mistake on that, the Marlow White site was for the white mess dress jacket.  The following site has the "Choker White" jacket.  They advertise that they will deliver to Canada through USPS.   http://stores.uniforms-4you.com

Offline MMSS

• My knife hand is a registered weapon
  • Rate Post
Re: Naval High Collar White Tunic
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2016, 10:03:41 »
Looks like I may be attending a fleet week later this year and will be looking for a high collar white tunic. I went through Andrei Tailors for my mess kit however was wondering if there may be a less expensive option online. The links I have found here don't seem to work anymore, and the last time I was in Norfolk we were told that the NEX will no longer sell them to Canadian sailors (???) I'm also not really keen on the eBay route as it can be hard to verify a legit seller.

Has anyone here purchased a white tunic lately? Where did you source the buttons/gold braided flashes?

(Also recommend merging with other thread here.)

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2016, 11:23:40 »
Try here: http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-service-dress-white-choker-3095.aspx

Take it to the tailor to Canadianize. It will need new buttons, flashes, and loops for the shoulder boards. If you live close to the US border, you could have it shipped to a mail outlet, and then pick it up. Might fare better on the shipping charges.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 11:30:54 by ModlrMike »
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline RocketRichard

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2016, 11:36:02 »
Also, I've bought and sold via PayPal and there is buyer and seller protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MMSS

• My knife hand is a registered weapon
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2016, 12:21:51 »
Try here: http://www.uniforms-4u.com/p-service-dress-white-choker-3095.aspx

Take it to the tailor to Canadianize. It will need new buttons, flashes, and loops for the shoulder boards. If you live close to the US border, you could have it shipped to a mail outlet, and then pick it up. Might fare better on the shipping charges.

Assume I'm in Halifax; off the top of your head does the base tailor have the buttons/flashes/loops required or should I be looking for them separately?