Author Topic: Joining CSOR early  (Read 64343 times)

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
Joining CSOR early
« on: March 26, 2008, 15:20:28 »
I have roughly 1 1/2 years in (10 months in Battalion). I have heard many stories about guys getting onto there SOBQ right out of battleschool. so I went ahead and applied but my CSM turned it down, I talked to the recruiter and he said he is sorting it out for me. I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course (without having anything to do with PT/phyc. test).
A man can change the world with enough ammunition

Offline Dirty Patricia

• Rate Post
  • VP
Re: Joining CSOR early
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 15:31:02 »
In 1PPCLI we sent off about six guys from my company - all new privates and some with as few as 2 or 3 months in the bn.  They applied right after the CSOR info brief and were literally on course a few weeks later after completing the necessary testing in Edmonton. 
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."

Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline Anyone's Grunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 15:39:59 »
You're SUPPOSED to have a minimum two years service in the CF.  BUT, last I heard anyways, when they were over at 1st battalion recruiting, they make exceptions for certain cases.  Examples were soldiers with certain qualifications, recce and para for example, and for combat vets.  Also, if you are slated to go overseas, and I assume you are as you are with the 3rd herd, any members slated for TFA cannot apply as per direction from the CLS. There's a CANFORGEN out there stating such.

Edited for spelling.

Offline reverse_eng

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 23:42:51 »
Is it common these days for Ptes to get recce and para before the 2 year mark? I was under the impression those courses were not easy nor quick to get on.

Thanks in advance

Offline Anyone's Grunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:08:28 »
It's all in who you know ... get to the unit at the right time, do the right things, meet the right people and you can really go places.  I know young privates that were snipers in the sniper cell with less than a year in battalion.  It is feasible that a young go getter posted to the third could get his recce and para course before the 2 year mark, and these are precisely the kind of people CSOR wants to steal recruit from the line units.  Motivated, professional, disciplined soldiers.

Offline PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 02:01:18 »
In 1PPCLI we sent off about six guys from my company - all new privates and some with as few as 2 or 3 months in the bn.  They applied right after the CSOR info brief and were literally on course a few weeks later after completing the necessary testing in Edmonton. 

And the experiment did not work.  Most are on their way back
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 02:20:47 »
I have roughly 1 1/2 years in (10 months in Battalion). I have heard many stories about guys getting onto there SOBQ right out of battleschool. so I went ahead and applied but my CSM turned it down, I talked to the recruiter and he said he is sorting it out for me. I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course (without having anything to do with PT/phyc. test).

You don't want to be the guy that tries and fails selection two or three times. Your CSM might be doing you a favour. Make sure you're super fit and have enough TI, self-confidence and experience to sail through selection and do well in the unit. Your reputation is sure to precede you. Two years TI is not a bad start, but three to five years (and possibly with some leadership/ sp wpns experience) sounds better IMHO.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline X-mo-1979

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:26:48 »
You don't want to be the guy that tries and fails selection two or three times.

Why not? I know many guys who have failed cetain testing and went on to join certain organisations.
If he thinks he's fit enough go for it.

Good luck man.

Just look at it as an extra year to train buddy,I'm sure come next year if not already you will kick butt on the course.

Offline punkd

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:11:23 »
As for the CSM turning you down. At the recruiting brief in pet the other day the recruiter mentioned that your unit has the final say if you can leave or not. Id work on getting your own CoC to support you first. (Going over their heads to the recruiter might not be the best approach). I was turned down from my CO for the skyhawks (even though I met all the pre-reqs) due to OP TEMPO. This happened to guys applying for CSOR as well. Seems like with all the tours going on no unit wants to let many people go.

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 19:44:18 »
But the big thing that making angry is that there are roughly 250 in rear party, plus I'm not on TFA or the 10% pool (don't know why I have already investigated that). I have never been someone to wait around for something, if I want something I go and get it, and the CSM is worried about 1 measly no hook private leaving the Bn

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 19:47:04 »
But the big thing that making angry is that there are roughly 250 in rear party, plus I'm not on TFA or the 10% pool (don't know why I have already investigated that). I have never been someone to wait around for something, if I want something I go and get it, and the CSM is worried about 1 measly no hook private leaving the Bn

I wonder how hard they worked to get that no hook Private into the Bn to fill that position and be a Team Player.  The CSM may want to get rid of his 'deadwood' and 'social climbers' first.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 19:50:02 »
you may be right but, rear party COY is a shyte show right now

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 19:53:08 »
you may be right but, rear party COY is a shyte show right now

Rear Party, especially in winter, is always a shyte show, no matter what unit you're with. 

Remember, 10% list isn't too big, and then they will need guys from outside that 10% to fill slots on Tour, if shyte hits the rotary propellor thingy.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

aesop081

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 20:00:18 »
I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course (without having anything to do with PT/phyc. test).

I'm not sure what you are getting at here

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 22:05:40 »
well I really hope your right Wallace, I hope I can get a tour before CSOR, but I ain't going to hold my breath for much longer

Offline Rider Pride

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Easy to draw, hard to spell
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2008, 22:34:12 »
I just want to know what are my chances of getting my application through and getting a course

Without your current CO's permission, absolutely none.
"Return with your shield, or upon it."

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 22:51:59 »
Hmm does that mean I have to wait for him to get from tour next march??? or is there another way around this????

Offline dangerboy

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2008, 23:14:23 »
If the CO is away on tour he delegates certain authority to the OC Rear party.  In administrative matters such as this OC rear party can sign for the CO.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us... they can't get away this time.
- Lt Gen Lewis B. Puller, USMC

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 22:27:34 »
well that's perfect!!!! ;D this will give me time to train and I'm sure the OC wont have a problem with me going on the course after next. me not going on tour might turn out to be a good thing after all.

Offline Anyone's Grunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:39 »
Are you aware that the course in May is only the ISAP?  (Individual Skill Assessment Phase)  The actual SOBQ will run in December, and there will be another ISAP in November.  They are only running one per year.  It makes more sense to attend the November selection; it gives you more time to train and will ensure you remain in the right frame of mind heading into the actual course. 

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2008, 15:39:12 »
oh OK I thought they were running 2 courses a year, thanks for the enlightenment. then that's what I will do then, but December damn that's going to be cold LOL. How long is ISAP, do you know?????

Offline punkd

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2008, 15:43:18 »
Havn't heard too much on ISAP, and the recruiter in pet didnt mention how long it was.

CANFORGEN 051/08 SOFCOM 006 281636Z FEB 08
SUCCESSFUL CAT 1 APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND ONE OF TWO ISAP SERIALS BEING HELD IN MAY 08 OR NOV 08 (DATES TBC). PHYSICAL FITNESS TESTING WILL OCCUR AT THE BEGINNING OF ISAP TO CONFIRM APPLICANTS CONT TO MEET THE FITNESS STANDARD. PERS WHO FAIL THE FITNESS TESTING MAY BE RETURNED TO THEIR HOME UNITS. FOL SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF ISAP, APPLICANTS WILL BE ATTACHED POSTED TO CSOR FOR THE DURATION OF THE SPEC OP BASIC QUAL (SOBQ) CRSE (DATES TBC)

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2008, 15:48:27 »
I'm guessing ISAP is essentially selection for CSOR and a fancy name. 8)

Offline Anyone's Grunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008, 20:35:07 »
oh OK I thought they were running 2 courses a year, thanks for the enlightenment. then that's what I will do then, but December damn that's going to be cold LOL. How long is ISAP, do you know?????

The ISAP ran last November was approx 3 weeks.  It's a selection thats not a selection.  It is designed to give potential operators from non-combat arms, non-army trades a chance to bring themselves up to a certain level of performance before they are deemed "unfit" to continue onto the course.  What I mean is that a Navy cook who wants to go CSOR probably hasn't seen a C7 since basic, let alone operate as an infantryman with one.  ISAP will teach people like those the necessary skills to demonstrate whether they have the ability to perform as an operator or not.  It also gives those with prior knowledge a chance to demonstrate teamwork and leadership skills as they are expected to help those individuals lacking.  This way everyone gets a fair shake.  ISAP stands for Individual Skills Assessment Phase... "selection" was already taken.   ;)

Offline ProPatria031

• Rate Post
  • Me and my baby
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008, 21:34:52 »
Oh OK so it's pretty much a crash course on how to be a soldier then, and would be more or less a refresher for me. what happens after you pass the ISAP, would I go back to my unit till the next SOBQ course come around???