Author Topic: Daily Travel Limit on TD  (Read 5074 times)

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Daily Travel Limit on TD
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2018, 07:46:25 »
It is different, because the CAF didn't tell you you need to be in Ottawa at 1900 Saturday and back in Gagetown at 0800 Monday morning. When you ask permission to not travel commercial to attend a course/task the CAF is still telling you to be somewhere at a specific time. That makes it the CAF's business how you manage to accomplish that travel (itinerary), and it makes it their business to make sure you have enough time to do it.

Should the distance be longer than 500km? I think so. Should it be a free for all with people driving across the continent in three days? I don't think so, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to let me know why it's not only possible but safe and cost effective...

We have COs.  They are selected to be in those positions.  They are generally pretty smart.  Let them decide for their people.

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2018, 08:24:59 »
That works until two COs on the same base decide their members need to take different amounts of leave to go to the same place. Lets pretend I'm back on WIN and my buddy is on CAL, we are both headed to Winnipeg for course. My CO decides I can make the drive safely in three days so I get a day of short, my buddy's CO decides that five days are needed because of unpredictable mountain weather. Now one member has to take annual to make the same drive the other member doesn't need annual for. Are both COs being reasonable? It could be argued that they both are, but now one member is at a disadvantage compared to the other.

Edit to Add: I'm not for the 500km limit, it's too short in my opinion. I just don't see the CAF abandoning the maximum distance idea, maybe extending it to 800km or more but not getting rid of it.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:28:19 by Furniture »

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2018, 10:43:05 »
I Believe you would find that, first of all, no CO in Esquimalt would let you do that journey in 3 days. I suspect four would be the minimum, because you have a ferry crossing and the mountains. If, however, you had two different CO's requiring a different number of days of travel, and both were reasonable based on the factors each consider of importance, then that would be life, and not a "disadvantage" to one or the other member so affected. After all, they elected to travel by PMC instead of CAF provided transportation, so they have to live with the consequences of their own decision.

P.S.: I suspect you would find that, for something like that, the number of days accorded would be pretty similar from one CO to the other in the fleet. You would be amazed at the various types of "problems" we CO's discuss among ourselves to try and arrive at similar solutions and a unified approach in the fleet instead of each making our own guesses.

P.P.S.: Ships are NOT on a Base - they don't belong to CFB Esquimalt. Just a small nuance, though your example would work with various lodger units.  ;D

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2018, 11:40:02 »
I wonder what the CAF administration would do if they looked back into the records at the short leave I granted to members of the squadron to take their PMC on TD...naughty CO...I'll feel 'sorta bad' about it tonight while I have a wee dram after dinner.

OGBD, I fully agree with you here:
If, however, you had two different CO's requiring a different number of days of travel, and both were reasonable based on the factors each consider of importance, then that would be life, and not a "disadvantage" to one or the other member so affected. After all, they elected to travel by PMC instead of CAF provided transportation, so they have to live with the consequences of their own decision.
:nod:

Regards
G2G

Offline dapaterson

- a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:44 »
The problem is that dodges like short leave work for full time members, but not so much for part time members.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2018, 12:49:40 »
I Believe you would find that, first of all, no CO in Esquimalt would let you do that journey in 3 days. I suspect four would be the minimum, because you have a ferry crossing and the mountains. If, however, you had two different CO's requiring a different number of days of travel, and both were reasonable based on the factors each consider of importance, then that would be life, and not a "disadvantage" to one or the other member so affected. After all, they elected to travel by PMC instead of CAF provided transportation, so they have to live with the consequences of their own decision.

P.S.: I suspect you would find that, for something like that, the number of days accorded would be pretty similar from one CO to the other in the fleet. You would be amazed at the various types of "problems" we CO's discuss among ourselves to try and arrive at similar solutions and a unified approach in the fleet instead of each making our own guesses.

P.P.S.: Ships are NOT on a Base - they don't belong to CFB Esquimalt. Just a small nuance, though your example would work with various lodger units.  ;D

Agreed on all points, it was simply a scenario to point out that even a system at CO's discretion would lead to complaints and "unfairness" and a whole thread on army.ca to sort out a better way.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2018, 12:50:20 »
The problem is that dodges like short leave work for full time members, but not so much for part time members.

...until component alignment occurs...   :waiting:

Offline dapaterson

- a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: June 18, 2018, 12:51:34 »
I think that is scheduled for the same day that DND's OPCMA becomes 4.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2018, 12:54:31 »
I think that is scheduled for the same day that DND's OPCMA becomes 4.

I laughed at that...my boss was wondering what's so funny...I said, "DND, OPMCA, 4 - discuss..."

He laughed too...  ;D