Author Topic: Wearing Uniforms Post-Release/Retirement (merged)  (Read 111575 times)

Offline Loch Sloy!

• Rate Post
Re: Wearing Uniforms Post-Release/Retirement (merged)
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2015, 11:51:49 »
Quick question about Tamoshanters and wearing them for Nov 11. I was in the CF Reserves (Calgary Highlanders) 24 years ago. And only have my Tamoshanter left from those days. Is it okay to wear it for Remembrance Day? And then the other question is. You cant put the Cap badge on a Beret, It would look odd. I am lost when it comes to this stuff. But really want to show my pride for those days. Thanks for the advice in advance.

A late reply but... It would be totally appropriate for a former serving member of the Regiment to wear their old headdress for Remembrance day, although the glengarry would be preferable to the TOS/ balmoral. In fact the unofficial order of dress for former members is; glengarry, blue blazer with regimental crest on the breast, regimental tie and grey slacks. Former members are often referred to as "old guard" and are invited to march with the regiment during the final portion of our annual freedom of the city parade every April. If you are not a member of our regimental association I would encourage you to join so you get a heads up on events.

What is not appropriate; is wearing your old uniform complete. Just last week the DCO (while going about his business in civilian attire downtown) encountered a gentleman, who subsequently claimed former service, wearing a TOS with our cap-badge and a more or less full set of OD combats + black jungle boots. This encounter was rather unfortunate for the individual... a very amusing photo was taken on someone's phone.  ;D
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.
--Ben Franklin

Offline shootemup604

• Rate Post
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2016, 15:09:45 »
I wouldn't mind seeing some identifier that retired members could wear (at no cost to the crown) on whatever form of dress/mess uniform they used at the time of retirement, to indicate the wearer is retired.  The British have a "R" Badge for retired officers.  We could adopt something similar, worn on the sleeve immediately under the "Canada" patch on both sides (if you are retired, no div, brigade, or command badge for you) of the DEU, or even on the member's mess kit - with written permission - revocable if worn incorrectly (ie - at a protest or?).  Personally, I think it is great to see the pre-unification uniforms of the old-timers worn for Nov 11th and it would be neat to keep the tradition alive.  Plus, if you buy mess kit, you can continue wearing it and get your money's worth. 

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2016, 15:41:47 »
Plus, if you buy mess kit, you can continue wearing it and get your money's worth.

See also,

Mess Uniform use by Retired Members 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=108682.0
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2016, 16:17:41 »
I wouldn't mind seeing some identifier that retired members could wear (at no cost to the crown) on whatever form of dress/mess uniform they used at the time of retirement, to indicate the wearer is retired. 

So Balding and Grey thinning hair don't clue you in; nor the stance and paunch?  Hmmmm?  Guess you aren't Recce.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2016, 18:09:14 »
So Balding and Grey thinning hair don't clue you in; nor the stance and paunch?  Hmmmm?  Guess you aren't Recce.

That describes many staff officers from NDHQ who are still "serving"....

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2016, 18:11:41 »
That describes many staff officers from NDHQ who are still "serving"....

[:D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2016, 18:16:33 »
I wouldn't mind seeing some identifier that retired members could wear (at no cost to the crown) on whatever form of dress/mess uniform they used at the time of retirement, to indicate the wearer is retired.

Not in favour.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2016, 20:09:31 »
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=100399.0   ?

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2016, 10:29:31 »
The British have a "R" Badge for retired officers. 

I believe that "R" means "Reserve" and it's been discontinued, at least it has in the RNR.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2016, 10:34:40 »
Once you're out there is no need to don a uniform ever again. You're no longer a member of the CAF.

One of the generals I know has hung up the mess kit and purchased a tuxedo.

Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #210 on: November 28, 2016, 10:59:16 »
Once you're out there is no need to don a uniform ever again. You're no longer a member of the CAF.

Same applies in emergency services. It's a public safety / liability issue.

What gets me is that e-bay allows the badges to be sold to "collectors".

I am sure there are legitimate "buffs" out there, but...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 11:12:11 by mariomike »

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #211 on: November 28, 2016, 11:24:27 »
Same applies in emergency services. It's a public safety / liability issue.

I am sure there are legitimate "buffs" out there, but...

Although there are certainly some horror stories out there about medal collecting, one of the counter-arguments is that collectors actually do a much better job of preserving these pieces of heritage than families do.  The best collectors go so far as to track down each actual medal that was awarded to an individual (groups are often broken up when sold or otherwise disposed of) and reassemble the group, so that they're not just medals, but actual pieces of someone's story.  Collectors often display their collections for others to see.  It needs to be pointed out that the reason the Imperial War Museum has such an outstanding collection of Victoria and George Crosses is because a private collector (Lord Ashcroft) has agreed to display his collection there.  Many of these medals would have been lost had he not tracked them down and assembled the collection.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #212 on: November 28, 2016, 11:41:49 »
Although there are certainly some horror stories out there about medal collecting,

I didn't mean buffs / hobbyists who like to collect medals, coins and stamps etc.

Or, those who like to wear medals ( right or left side ) and vintage military uniforms for "cosplay", or whatever re-enactors call it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBSOLETE-1900S-BADGE-MUNICIPAL-POLICE-NEW-YORK-Detective-/172327744989?hash=item281f88b5dd:g:YuAAAOSwMgdXyYAw
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FDNY-Officer-Uniform-Overcoat-Raincoat-Full-Fireman-Ems-Suit-Ny-/252573275532?hash=item3ace8a558c:g:nh4AAOSwTA9X9v9F

That includes the cloth shoulder patches sold on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obsolete-New-York-State-Ontario-County-City-Of-New-York-Police-Shoulder-Patch-/132015261701?hash=item1ebcb90805

This might also apply to CAF MP badges.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 12:11:49 by mariomike »

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2016, 13:15:11 »
This might also apply to CAF MP badges.

Yeah, but who would want to pose as a MP. If I want abuse, I'll go to the mess.  [:D
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker