• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

Just finished demo on about 1000 units in Borden. Understand these were WW2 vintage, BUT wouldn't one consider a phased program- doze 10 rebuild maybe 5 ?

Doesn't even have to be built on-site. Build pre-fab units indoors and transport them to location. Just need the land.

Don't we have CAF trades people who can build such housing units? If not, get the bids out to local businesses.

Doesn't even have to be built on-site. Build pre-fab units indoors and transport them to location. Just need the land.

Don't we have CAF trades people who can build such housing units? If not, get the bids out to local businesses.
“Canadian Forces takes jobs from local businesses” isn’t a great headline.

“Canadian Forces takes jobs from local businesses” isn’t a great headline.
There are probably only enough military structures techs to build a dozen houses per year (and I am being generous), if they did absolutely nothing else.

Still, it might be a cool DP1 project for them to completely build a house per year..

Any salvage of the wood? Or was all sent to the landfills?
Probably concerns over lead paint and or asbestos.

If you were born in country X (Italy/Greece/France/etc) and immigrated you could still be called up for service in that countries military. If you didn't respond, you were put on a blacklist and if you every set foot in said country again you could be arrested.

And when I was stationed in Naples, Italy ('99-'03) I met several American citizens (and one Canadian) who had got their callup papers for the Italian military and had returned to Italy to do their military service.
All the NATO countries also had exemptions of one was serving in (or had served) one’s other (NATO) country of citizenship.

Probably concerns over lead paint and or asbestos.

All the NATO countries also had exemptions of one was serving in (or had served) one’s other (NATO) country of citizenship.
Didn't it take a while for Italy to agree to an exemption? I seem to recall that when we were in Lahr in the early 70s there were guys who couldn't deploy with their units to Italy for that reason.

Didn't it take a while for Italy to agree to an exemption? I seem to recall that when we were in Lahr in the early 70s there were guys who couldn't deploy with their units to Italy for that reason.
Not sure, I just know that by the mid 80’s that it was solved.

Well the good news is, the media is starting to make canadians pay attention a bit more

The bad news is, none of it is good stories

Well the good news is, the media is starting to make canadians pay attention a bit more

Aren't we underspending our defense budget as-is? Is more money without a clear direction really the solution here.

Much of the underspending is delays in acquisition, where payments end up being made in future years. In those cases, the cash is reprofiled to future years (and the depreciation of the acquired assets is also deferred).

Actual lapsed funding is less (and there are provisions to carry some of that money forward, too).

Paywalls unfortunately

Strikes me as a perfect job for an RCE vertical construction company or two. Excellent training for deployments.

🍻

The problem isn't the money it self, it's TB and the restrictions on how fast we can spend it.
Also manufacturing facilities and things like the basic precursors to do large scale productions. I'm always a bit skeptical of 'strategic supply production' when we import vice make some of the basics anymore like specialty steel etc. Some of those aren't made in Canada because of the environmental restrictions being so strict that it's really not anywhere close to economically feasible to make, and can't make artillery shells if you import things to make the propellant and someone decides they are going to ban their export you rely on because they need it to ramp up their own production.

They should be buying more ammunition and munitions with the un spent money.
Different kinds of money; usually it's capitol money that gets delayed for spending later for various reasons, so isn't actually 'unspent'. More like if you were building a house and had payment milestones, you aren't going to pay for the framing job on a date if it's not done yet.

For NP funds, which have that 'cinderella clause' and are only allocated by the fiscal year, usually the unspent funds happens near the end of the year, because something doesn't deliver as expected (or they don't invoice on time). My favourite is when you don't get project funding released until September, so you can't commit to things, and then weirdly companies can't turn something around in less then 6 months as well as if you had 12 months. Usually there is a lot of internal juggling and overplanning so money doesn't get used, but it's a lot of juggling.

Some line items also have contingency for things like extra fuel costs or whatever, so actually should go unspent unless 'shit happens'.

If they want munitions that needs planning and contracts in place, so would need dedicated funding, and not soemthing you can just throw money at with short time frames (within GoC contract terms) and expect things to happen. If we went the opposite way and wandered around with suitcases of cash it might get some results, but would probably get a lot of scams that didn't actually deliver anything (see a lot of UK Covid contracts for examples of what happens when governments ignore all contracting rules.

Different kinds of money; usually it's capitol money that gets delayed for spending later for various reasons, so isn't actually 'unspent'. More like if you were building a house and had payment milestones, you aren't going to pay for the framing job on a date if it's not done yet.

For NP funds, which have that 'cinderella clause' and are only allocated by the fiscal year, usually the unspent funds happens near the end of the year, because something doesn't deliver as expected (or they don't invoice on time). My favourite is when you don't get project funding released until September, so you can't commit to things, and then weirdly companies can't turn something around in less then 6 months as well as if you had 12 months. Usually there is a lot of internal juggling and overplanning so money doesn't get used, but it's a lot of juggling.

Some line items also have contingency for things like extra fuel costs or whatever, so actually should go unspent unless 'shit happens'.

If they want munitions that needs planning and contracts in place, so would need dedicated funding, and not soemthing you can just throw money at with short time frames (within GoC contract terms) and expect things to happen. If we went the opposite way and wandered around with suitcases of cash it might get some results, but would probably get a lot of scams that didn't actually deliver anything (see a lot of UK Covid contracts for examples of what happens when governments ignore all contracting rules.
The government has stated they will CUT the budget.
Eluding that the money can not be spent.
Reallocate the money and buy munitions and ammo.
Or heaven forbid buy a few tanks.

I would rather have ammo and munitions then turn money back in.
If the money is not spent then they should automatically reallocate it to spending.

Back