• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Maybe Trudeau should try again for a majority?
He might actually get it this time.

It will be interesting to see if these pro life groups have as much influence in the race.
Of the 70k that voted Sloan/Lewis last go around, ~20k dropped off by 3rd ballot. Non an insignificant proportion. But honestly with the membership drives and early indications of memberships "last go around" proportions are pretty meaningless at this point.

Huh, this seems like an exceptionally stupid idea. I'm for limiting deficit spending, but arbitrarily locking spending now doesn't make any sense or give governments flexibility to adapt to changing conditions.

It hasn't worked at all in the US for decades, and just leads to stupid shut downs and random political soapboxing.

Not sure if this is a populist pitch or what, but this guy is really cruising for 3rd place in Parliament.

Poilievre pitches a 'pay-as-you-go' law to rein in federal spending​

Conservative leadership contender says every dollar of new spending should be met with a cut to something else

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/poilievre-pay-as-you-go-budgeting-1.6497652

Huh, this seems like an exceptionally stupid idea. I'm for limiting deficit spending, but arbitrarily locking spending now doesn't make any sense or give governments flexibility to adapt to changing conditions.

It hasn't worked at all in the US for decades, and just leads to stupid shut downs and random political soapboxing.

Not sure if this is a populist pitch or what, but this guy is really cruising for 3rd place in Parliament.

Conservative leadership contender says every dollar of new spending should be met with a cut to something else

If elected by the party, he'll populist his way into another stint as opposition that will be neutered by an NDP balance of power. Basically status quo.

We share this space. It's a great sound bite but wickedly impractical.

It's a great sound bite but wickedly impractical.
That’s increasingly his campaign in a nutshell. Like much of our politics, what you can sell is far more important than what you can implement. He understands this very well.

While only tangentially related to the CPC leadership race, an interesting wrinkle.

Patrick Brown's campaign manager joins Michelle Rempel Garner for possible UCP leadership bid​

Conservative leadership campaign says Sean Schnell has stepped away
The Canadian Press · Posted: Jun 22, 2022 3:50 PM MT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Patrick Brown's campaign manager has left to help Michelle Rempel Garner with her possible bid to lead the United Conservative Party in Alberta.

Brown's Conservative leadership campaign says Sean Schnell has stepped away to follow Rempel Garner, who announced last week she was leaving her role as Brown's national co-chair.

Rempel Garner is considering a run to replace Alberta Premier Jason Kenney in his job as leader of the provincial party, following his decision to resign after narrowly surviving a leadership review last month.

Schnell had worked for Rempel Garner's office before either leadership race began.

Chisholm Pothier, a spokesman for Brown, said Schnell stuck around for a few days after deciding to go with Rempel Garner so that he could help the team through the transition.

Pothier says Fred DeLorey, who served as the federal party's national campaign manager for the 2021 federal election, remains on the team as the executive chairman.

Over the past month, Brown has also lost the support of two Conservative MPs — Ontario's Kyle Seeback and Dan Muys — to his main rival for the leadership, Ottawa-area MP Pierre Poilievre.

Brown's campaign has brushed off their decisions, saying it counts for just two votes out of the more than 150,000 new members it says he signed up.

Poilievre has said he sold nearly 312,000 memberships — a record-breaking number — and asked the party to validate those figures, which it has declined to do.

With the party looking at having a voting base of more than 600,000 members, it is working to get a national list of their names to campaigns no later than July 4.

The winner of the Conservative leadership race will be announced in Ottawa on Sept. 10.

The loss of Brown's campaign manager (and Michele Rempel Garner as co-chair of his campaign) will likely have no affect on that candidate's outcome in the federal party's leadership race, but what I find interesting is the possible move of Rempel Garner to Alberta provincial politics. The simple conclusion is that the writing is on the wall who will be the next CPC leader (not Brown) and she has determined that she would not have a place at the adult's table under that leadership. Sitting in opposition (without even a shadow portfolio) for several more years is probably not high on her list of favourite things.

While only tangentially related to the CPC leadership race, an interesting wrinkle.

The loss of Brown's campaign manager (and Michele Rempel Garner as co-chair of his campaign) will likely have no affect on that candidate's outcome in the federal party's leadership race, but what I find interesting is the possible move of Rempel Garner to Alberta provincial politics. The simple conclusion is that the writing is on the wall who will be the next CPC leader (not Brown) and she has determined that she would not have a place at the adult's table under that leadership. Sitting in opposition (without even a shadow portfolio) for several more years is probably not high on her list of favourite things.
But she has a pretty good shot at being Premier…

But she has a pretty good shot at being Premier…
I dunno. Looks like a case of jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It’s really too bad because she is someone I would have loved to see run as Tory leader.

I dunno. Looks like a case of jumping from the frying pan into the fire. It’s really too bad because she is someone I would have loved to see run as Tory leader.
There won’t be a place for someone like her in a PP led party. I suspect a few will jump ship by the next election.

If find it most frustrating that the "what" - leaning out government bloat, taking a critical look at every program- is a fundamentally good idea, but the "how"- heavy handed legislation- is par for the course for a career MP that has zero experience at running an organization, leading people, or accomplishing well, anything.

Well that and his abject refusal to acknowledge the reality of the supply side drivers of current inflation. Those ones are harder to come with soundbite solutions and pin on the sitting government.

Last edited:
If find it most frustrating that the "what" - leaning out government bloat, taking a critical look at every program- is a fundamentally good idea, but the "how"- heavy handed legislation- is par for the course for a career MP that has zero experience at running an organization, leading people, or accomplishing well, anything.

Well that and his abject refusal to acknowledge the reality of the supply side drivers of current inflation. Those ones are harder to come with soundbite solutions and pin on the sitting government.
I don’t know. A half decent politician could paint a pretty credible picture about how the current Liberal Government actively choked Petroleum development in Canada (and therefore supply). How the price of petroleum is baked into literally every food, good and service in Canada. How the Liberals have been aiming for $2/L gas for years, because climate change. Well- mission accomplished. The planet is saved. They should be made to wear it like a banner…

I don’t know. A half decent politician could paint a pretty credible picture about how the current Liberal Government actively choked Petroleum development in Canada (and therefore supply). How the price of petroleum is baked into literally every food, good and service in Canada. How the Liberals have been aiming for $2/L gas for years, because climate change. Well- mission accomplished. The planet is saved. They should be made to wear it like a banner…
They could paint paint that picture, but it would be full of holes, such as the global nature of the current shortage, that it's refined product rather than crude based, etc.

They could paint paint that picture, but it would be full of holes, such as the global nature of the current shortage, that it's refined product rather than crude based, etc.
I know how crude is priced.

You are saying that if Canada were producing anywhere from 2-4 million more barrels of crude/day; able to refine at least part of that and able to transport all of it to tidewater (all things the Liberals have actively spiked since 2015) that the supply price situation would not be better?

I know how crude is priced.

You are saying that if Canada were producing anywhere from 2-4 million more barrels of crude/day; able to refine at least part of that and able to transport all of it to tidewater (all things the Liberals have actively spiked since 2015) that the supply price situation would not be better?
Trudeau did say he wanted to price Canadians out of bad habits. I'm not sure why people didn't believe him at the time... his policies sure seemed to support that end, and here we are.

The effects are going to be crippling. One of the foundations for a sound economy is cheap and plentiful energy.

When did campaign statements approach the realm of "will happen for sure"?

Stop being scared by things that will never happen.

Trudeau did say he wanted to price Canadians out of bad habits. I'm not sure why people didn't believe him at the time... his policies sure seemed to support that end, and here we are.

The effects are going to be crippling. One of the foundations for a sound economy is cheap and plentiful energy.
You know when a Green Party-led coalition in Germany is burning more brown coal and pulling nuke power plants out of reserve, that there's a time and a place...

Canada (Feds) continues to fiddle while Rome burns, believing that unyielding adherence to the 2050 NetZero aspirational goal is the only way we'll go to Heaven... 🙄

Canada (Feds) continues to fiddle while Rome burns, believing that unyielding adherence to the 2050 NetZero aspirational goal is the only way we'll go to Heaven... 🙄
I think Trudeau is hoping that Greta Thunberg will hire him, once he's finally out of Parliament. ;)

Back