• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

3 OPP officers shot

I'm not so sure. Breonna Taylor's boyfriend was cleared of his attempted murder charge after thinking the police were intruders.
Other ‘No Knock’ warrants have resulted in similar results. I’m not a fan of using them in 99.9% of the situations they are used. I’m a fan of grabbing people on foot if possible between a house and vehicle, a vehicle secondary option and a building as last resort.
Most states down here have a pretty short window from Knock to Breach requirement. If preservation of evidence is an issue, 5-7 seconds lost on ‘Open Up, Police with a Search Warrant’ isn’t going to give anyone much time for destruction beyond a No Knock - I’m also a big fan of repeating ‘Police with a warrant, Hands Up’ during entry.

A veteran Dallas police officer shot his own son a few years back mistaking him for an intruder.
That case was a prime example of someone who probably shouldn’t have been a LEO.
No CONUS LE agency allows for discharge of a firearm at an unknown. There needs to be an articulable threat.
Texas and a few other Stand Your Ground states have made some really terrible decisions in what they interpret lawful shootings in defense of premises and self.

If he has no criminal record and legally owned the firearm and was just going to bed after work it's odd that he would decide to shoot 3 OPP officers out of the blue.
Very odd, but while I find it believable they they may have entered the premises unannounced, the fact he saw flashlights and decided to engage without identifying the individual LEO’s gives me Jack and shit sympathy for him.

Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing. Does he have a point though?

As mentioned above, there is so much we don't know. The sequence of events, positioning of the various players, etc. will tell the tale. I have a really hard time believing that three non-tactical cops would surreptitiously enter a residence, at night, when responding to a gun call, but who knows. There was one a couple of years ago where a guy made a ruckus at a grocery store then drove home to await the cops. He pinned down two, but didn't notice that he had been flanked by a third. It didn't end well for him.

The 'a man's home is his castle' and stand-your-ground defences aren't nearly as strong here as elsewhere.

but it’s been pretty close a few times. It will eventually be the case that the society demand for a quick comment by police will have them say too much and they will be penalized in some similar way.
I don't know Commissioner Carrique but I think he does come from a fairly strong operational background with York Regional. It was seldom an issue in the past when OPP commissioners typically came up through, or at least spent time in CIB (major crime); more of an issue when they did not. Members making media statement should never be privy to investigative details (but I have seen it happen) but he could have drawn his own conclusion from what he was told. The higher the speaker is in rank, the stronger the media 'handler' needs to be and sometimes it is a real challenge.

You are right - there is so much social pressure for 'the boss' to get out in front of issues. They have to say something and this is what Ontario's SIU has drawn so much heat over because they say virtually nothing. What is said to the media in an unfolding criminal investigation has to be both something and nothing at the same time, but it has to be plausible. I recall an incident where a member was standing in front of the cameras saying we could neither confirm nor deny that a death had occurred - as a body is clearly being carried out of the house in the background of the shot.

Back