• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

6 Jan 2020 U.S. Events (Split from A Deeply Fractured US)

That sweatshirt, (original, in the bag), is going to be worth a lot of money to collectors in 2050.
Maybe even more value if "Used once, paper-spray certificate of spraying included." 😁

That's just some really weak ass graphic design attempts too. It's a clear dollar store rip off of the marvel comic book series, but super poorly done.

But sure, this was totally a spontaneous event from frustrated citizens and not planned months ahead and widely discussed on public social media forums (let alone on whatever was private).
You could literally have hundreds made a couple of weeks before the protests, if not faster. I know that getting things done actually overnight is a completely unknown phenomenon to people used to dealing with government procurement processes.

You could literally have hundreds made a couple of weeks before the protests, if not faster. I know that getting things done actually overnight is a completely unknown phenomenon to people used to dealing with government procurement processes.
There are shirt printing shops in many malls. They can pretty much do it on the spot for some.

Well sure, and it is archived on the interwebs on sites with a few weeks turnaround for printing and shipping.

Which still puts it back to xmas timeframe and implies planning for violence ahead of time. It's not sophisticated or anything, but it's not like someone was just cranky and things got out of hand. It's also on a number of different sites, so it's not even isolated.

I don't pay that much attention to social media, but even I saw some posts ahead of time expecting violence on 6 Jan, because these nuts were everywhere and the rhetoric kept ramping up. It's not like 'Trial by Combat' is subtle. 🤷‍♂️

Good article here from the BBC: 65 days that led to chaos at the Capitol

"Arrests of those who stormed the Capitol continue. But most of the rioters still live in a parallel online universe - a subterranean world filled with alternative facts.
They have already come up with fanciful explanations to dismiss Mr Trump's video statement, posted on Twitter the day after the riots, in which he acknowledged for the first time that "a new administration will be inaugurated on 20 January".
He can't possibly be giving up, they contend. Among their new theories - it's not really him in the video but a computer-generated "deep fake". Or perhaps the president is being held hostage.
Many still believe Mr Trump will prevail.
There's no evidence behind any of this, but it does prove one thing.
No matter what happens to Donald Trump, the rioters who stormed the US Capitol are not backing down anytime soon."

I fear that the events of 6 Jan are just the tip of the iceberg.

Impeachment is now official in the house.
They are walking a dangerous line, imho. No committees, no investigations, no due process. This was a hasty, hyperbolic, purely political decision. They have now established that anyone outside their circle can be impeached in one day, on personal opinion, without recourse. What happens in two years if the right regains the house? All it will take is a simple verbal misstep by Harris, of which she will have many, and the right can cite this debacle and impeach her. That'll go for any people's representative they don't agree with.

This is not how the Founding Fathers designed the process. I fear the Constitution is on thin ice.

I say Harris because I think Biden is walking dead.

A few things of note if anyone was watching. 10 republicans voted in favour of impeachment. The most in any impeachment hearing as far as bi partisanship goes. Many more republicans chose not to vote for impeachment but stated they placed the blame for the insurrection at Trump’s feet.

Definitely in uncharted territory as McConnell is punting this to the next senate when the Democrats will have the majority and will most certainly hold a trial in the senate.

Yeah, but will it pass the Senate? Isn't it still Republican-controlled, or have I missed something?
Several republican senators have said they'll vote to impeach, and McConnell himself has said he's undecided- which is a HUGE, if tacit, license for other senators to vote to impeach without breaking part discipline. Effectively he has told Trump that he's on his own.

Several republican senators have said they'll vote to impeach, and McConnell himself has said he's undecided- which is a HUGE, if tacit, license for other senators to vote to impeach without breaking part discipline. Effectively he has told Trump that he's on his own.
Yeah but, let's insert some reality here. Impeachment is not an option.

Today is the 13th, the inauguration is a week away. There are mechanisms to do all kinds of things between now and next Wednesday morning; does anybody expect them to be other than partisan "headline grabbing" feel good, positioning" claptrap. And I cast this disparagement at both of the major parties in the U.S.

Yeah but, let's insert some reality here. Impeachment is not an option.

Today is the 13th, the inauguration is a week away. There are mechanisms to do all kinds of things between now and next Wednesday morning; does anybody expect them to be other than partisan "headline grabbing" feel good, positioning" claptrap. And I cast this disparagement at both of the major parties in the U.S.
It absolutely is an option. He can still be impeached after he leaves office. The goal would be to prevent him from running again.

If I were going to a protest of something I felt strongly about, but saw lots of others carrying/wearing white-supremacist/neo-Nazi/seditionist paraphernalia, I would be rethinking my presence, as well as my thinking on the issue. Especially if they were baying for blood.

Back