• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A Deeply Fractured US

Appointing a special master is a pretty ordinary thing to do, and strengthens claims of fairness.

Executive privilege is like the Senate legislative filibuster. It's not possible to set it aside even sparingly "because this time is special". If the current president waives a past president's privilege over something widely perceived as originating in political differences, everyone has to assume nothing is protected and might be used to political advantage by future presidents; the whole point of executive privilege - to minimize an obvious disincentive for people to communicate bluntly and frankly (thus clearly) - is corroded, permanently. The customary respect for privilege becomes another "institution" burned away for a one-time political play.

Those who worry about "democracy in danger" would be better off going through processes - such as the special master appointment - which are safeguards.

Biden set a trap for Trump?

Frum is correct; whether it was intended to or not, it goaded Trump into a spectacle which is not really helpful to Republicans right now.

But it misses the obvious: imagine Trump giving that kind of speech - the setting, the lighting, the disparagement of an opposing faction (eg. "antifa" activists, and all the mischief they get up to) and the extension of that taint to everyone who encourages, excuses, or merely tolerates the activists. The media reaction would have been an order of magnitude more intense and entertaining.

But it misses the obvious: imagine Trump giving that kind of speech - the setting, the lighting, the disparagement of an opposing faction (eg. "antifa" activists, and all the mischief they get up to) and the extension of that taint to everyone who encourages, excuses, or merely tolerates the activists. The media reaction would have been an order of magnitude more intense and entertaining.
Didn't he, during BLM?

Did he? Don't recall him at Independence Hall with the red lighting.

Regardless, media used to get worked up Trump's speeches even without the Team Biden touches. The point is the contrast between then and now.

Intentional trap or not, Trump’s speech this weekend reinforced Biden’s message and did no favours to his side.
Added to same, his high-volume posts on his social media have been downright unhinged for the past week.

Trump’s speech this weekend reinforced Biden’s message and did no favours to his side.

His "side" isn't "all Republicans". Those that are his "side" are fired up right now. It may be convenient to overlook the centrists and left-leaners who were dismayed by Biden's message, but the resulting estimate won't be accurate if factors are ignored.

You guys gotta quit talking like Biden is an evil genius. This guy can't even take out the garbage without getting lost. He didn't write that speech or likely even vetted it. They wheel him out, he tries reading his teleprompter and then is led back to his limo. Home to his jammys and pablum while his handlers plan the next move that will all end up on biden's plate. He will take the hit for it all, while the designers skulking away. But don’t worry about 'the Big Guy'. After the midterms, if it comes time to hold the dems and the bidens to account, he'll be found infirm and mentally incompetent.

Staff edit: Political meme deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be convenient to overlook the centrists and left-leaners who were dismayed by Biden's message
Honest question - what are the centrists and left-learners who are dismayed saying about it? What about it dismayed them?

The visuals. The inclusion of marines in the backdrop (not unprecedented, but inappropriate in view of the partisanship of the speech). Mostly, the vilification of political opponents as extremists.

Democrats are trying to drive a wedge somewhere into Republicans to set them against each other. But the temptation to pick a point as far "left" as possible and then brand one side as "extremist" makes the colossal blunder of blackguarding too many people.

The visuals. The inclusion of marines in the backdrop (not unprecedented, but inappropriate in view of the partisanship of the speech). Mostly, the vilification of political opponents as extremists.

Democrats are trying to drive a wedge somewhere into Republicans to set them against each other. But the temptation to pick a point as far "left" as possible and then brand one side as "extremist" makes the colossal blunder of blackguarding too many people.
I can't imagine ANY North American leader would actually stoop so low.... Wait, what?

People who attempted to commit a violent overthrow of the elected government meet most normal definitions of "extremist".

"MAGA Republicans" - the term used by Biden - do not. It was a dumbf*ck phrase to use without attempting to define it, because millions of voters identify as "MAGA Republicans".

"MAGA Republicans" - the term used by Biden - do not. It was a dumbf*ck phrase to use without attempting to define it, because millions of voters identify as "MAGA Republicans".
I'm not sure how much easier it can be to define. There are folks who literally wear it on their hats, shirts, maybe even tattooed onto their bodies (I don't know about that last one, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit). It is a brand that they latched onto voluntarily.

Here's a picture of Jan 6th. Once the pictures/video came out (and not when the arrests were starting), MAGA Republicans who disagreed with this could have disavowed the group's actions. Did they?

I'm not sure how much easier it can be to define. There are folks who literally wear it on their hats, shirts, maybe even tattooed onto their bodies (I don't know about that last one, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit). It is a brand that they latched onto voluntarily.

Here's a picture of Jan 6th. Once the pictures/video came out (and not when the arrests were starting), MAGA Republicans who disagreed with this could have disavowed the group's actions. Did they?
You must have missed me shaking my head and calling it dumb.
I have a MAGA hat, and had donated to Trump’s campaign.

Back