• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

A different way to save fuel

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Using sails to assist engine powered ships has a long history, this company has a rather unusual take on the idea. Going a bit farther out of the box, it might be possible to hang an antenna or light sensor platform from the kite to extend the coverage (although the stabilization might take a bit of doing....)

http://www.kiteship.com/

I can see possible potential, I am just wondering where we would store it...We would have to find a place for the line/cable, the reel, the sensor fit, the kite, a possible control room for launch and recovery of the sensor kite. All and all I think UAVs accomplish the same thing.

Seen those in a breifing a while back...I hope they make those sails very bright colours and easy to see  :o

You would have to put radar reflectors on it for sure and maybe even aircraft warning lights. We definitely could not deploy it while trying to sneak up on the opposition.

Ex-Dragoon said:
You would have to put radar reflectors on it for sure and maybe even aircraft warning lights. We definitely could not deploy it while trying to sneak up on the opposition.

I am thinking more about merchies using this.  I can just picture it now on a VIS ID run, 220 kts at 200 feet........

There was a documentary some time back about these sails. It was pretty neat, and has potential for merchants for sure.  Adding on to your kite with an ariel or two might be neat too, but I cant see them being used strictly for that purpose, because as Ex D said, there are other ways to do that without a kite or sail. 

From what I saw on the website, the size of the kite and associated equipment isn't all that large (relative to a ship, that is). For civvie use, a Day-Glo orange kite festooned with warning lights and reflectors is certainly what is needed, neither the pilot of a CG or Navy plane or the ship's owner wants to fill out the accident report and all that paperwork!

For Navy use, this might be used as an auxilliary means of propulsion while cruising to and from the area of deployment. In terms of effect, a kite sail would give a bigger boost to a smaller ship, but there has to be provision for cutting away a kite on a Kingston or Halifax class ship when clearing for action. On a bigger vessel like the JSS or the Big Honking Ship, the kite would be an economy measure, and since it is already up there, I don't see why we shouldn't consider using it to assist comms or provide a bit more situational awareness. Like using the kite as a means of propulsion, this would be to suppliment existing systems, not replace them.

a_majoor said:
From what I saw on the website, the size of the kite and associated equipment isn't all that large (relative to a ship, that is). For civvie use, a Day-Glo orange kite festooned with warning lights and reflectors is certainly what is needed, neither the pilot of a CG or Navy plane or the ship's owner wants to fill out the accident report and all that paperwork!

Personaly i think using these is a great idea, economicaly and environmentaly speaking.  The use of these things would have to be restricted to the High seas, well away from land.  I dont know if you ever have been in the sea lanes off the Canadian west coast but you wouldnt want these things deployed until about 300-400 miles ( at the very, very least). Wouldnt want to se two mercies get their "sails" tangled up.  I agree with you that warning devices will be required but as with anything else, it wouldnt be imune to failiures.  just one more thing to worry about for us in the air thats all.

Problem with cutting away the kite for action stations is you run the risk of the lines getting fouled with the radars or causing a hazard with your screws as you manuever as you or one of your allies might have these lines twisted around the shaft.

I think I remember a Japanese merchant ship (it was either a grain carrier or a tanker, can't remember) that had a pair of rigid sails (made of steel and canvas I think). I don't remember the specifics, but the ship was built in the mid 1970's, or 80's I think. I will see if I can find out what that ship was.

Edit: Found the ship I was looking for. The PDF file is here:
http://www.nmri.go.jp/trans/Staff/fujiwara/ISOPE03_fujiwara.pdf

There is a ton of technical information on the design as well.

Hey Jsut a little tidbit more

http://www.primidi.com/2005/03/07.html

Oh and as for flying a kite, chopper pilots thought it sucked when the wind changed while landing, know a large cable could compete with their airspace!!!

However this site did report upwards of 50% fuel savings

This idea has finally reached the real world! The alternative of sailing more slowly is ok for freighters, but maybe not so much for warships.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=256863

10,000 tonnes at end of a kite

First cargo ship to partially rely on wind sets sail
Erik Kirschbaum,  Reuters, With Files From Agence France-Presse  Published: Wednesday, January 23, 2008
SkySails/Handout/Reuters

BERLIN -The world's first commercial ship powered partly by a 160-square-metre kite set off on a maiden voyage from the north German port of Bremen to Venezuela yesterday, in an experiment inventor Stephan Wrage hopes can wipe 20%, or US$1,600, from the ship's daily fuel bill.

"We aim to prove it pays to protect the environment," he said. "Showing that ecology and economics are not contradictions motivates us all."

The 10,000-tonne MS Beluga SkySails combines modern technology with know-how that has been in use for millennia.

It uses a computer-guided kite to harness powerful ocean winds far above the surface of the water and support the engine.
The advantage of the kite over a sail is that it can pull the ship along, regardless of the direction of the wind, and unlike a mast does not hinder the loading and unloading of cargo vessels.

But if SkySails is a relatively elaborate solution, another development shows the march of progress is not always linear: Shipping companies seeking immediate answers to soaring fuel prices and the need to cut emissions are simply slowing down.

The world's 50,000 merchant ships, which carry 90% of traded goods from oil, gas, coal, and grains to electronic goods, emit 800 million tonnes of carbon dioxide a year. That's about 5% of the world's total.

Also, their fuel costs rose by as much as 70% last year.

That dramatic increase has ship owners reducing speed as a way to save fuel and cut the greenhouse gases blamed for global warming, said Hermann Klein, an executive at Agence Germanischer Lloyd classification society.

"The number of shipping lines reducing speed to cut fuel costs has been growing steadily," said Mr. Klein, whose organization runs safety surveys on more than 6,000 ships worldwide.

"Slowing down by 10% can lead to a 25% reduction in fuel use. Just last week a big Japanese container liner gave notice of its intention to slow down."
We've saved so much fuel that we added a ship to the route and still saved costs.

Shipping was excluded from the UN's Kyoto Protocol to slow climate change, and many nations want the industry to be made accountable for its impact on the climate in the successor to Kyoto, which runs to 2012.

In Hamburg, the Hapag-Lloyd shipping company is not waiting for 2012. It has already ordered its 140 container ships to reduce speed.
Last year, it cut the standard speed of its ships to 20 knots from 23½ knots, saving a "substantial amount" of fuel.
The calculation used in shipping is complex. Longer voyages mean extra operating costs, charter costs, interest costs and other monetary losses. But Hapag-Lloyd said slowing down still paid off handsomely.

"We've saved so much fuel that we added a ship to the route and still saved costs," said Klaus Heims, press spokesman at the world's fifth-largest container shipping line. "Why didn't we do this before?"

The trend is also catching on among ferry services.

Norway's Color Line ferry between Oslo and Baltic destinations said this month it would add 30 minutes to the 20-hour trip from Oslo to Kiel.
"It's good for the environment and it's good for us economically," a spokesman said.
The company expects to save 1.4 million litres of fuel a year as a result.

But if fuel prices keep rising, such innovations as the kite-powered Beluga SkySails could also pay off. German-based Beluga Shipping has already ordered two more vessels and Mr. Wrage's company has five orders in hand.

If the maiden voyage is a success, the inventor plans to double the size of the kites fitted to ships to 320 square metres, and expand it again to 600 square metres in 2009. The company hopes to fit 1,500 ships by 2015.

Copyright © 2007 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

The idea is now being put to use by larger ships:

http://nextbigfuture.com/2011/03/cargill-will-have-kite-sail-on-30000.html#more

Cargill will have a kite sail on a 30,000 ton cargo ship

Cargill has signed an agreement with SkySails GmbH and Co. KG (SkySails) to use wind power technology to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the shipping industry. SkySails, based in Hamburg, has developed innovative, patented technology that uses a kite which flies ahead of the vessel and generates enough propulsion to reduce consumption of bunker fuel by up to 35 percent in ideal sailing conditions.

The sail will be on cargo ship that is up to 30,000 tons. In 2008, a 10,000 ton cargo ship had a sail added. The Beluga group is also building two 20,000 ton ships that will also use sails.

Next December Cargill will install the 320m2 kite on a handysize vessel of between 25,000 and 30,000 deadweight tonnes, which the company has on long-term charter, making it the largest vessel propelled by a kite in the world. Cargill and SkySails aim to have the system fully operational in the first quarter of 2012. Cargill is currently helping SkySails develop and test the technology and has identified a ship-owner – supportive of environmental stewardship in the industry – with whom it will partner on the project.

The SkySails kite will be connected to the ship by rope and is computer-controlled by an automatic pod to maximise the wind benefits. The kite functions at a height of between 100 to 420 metres and flies in a figure of eight formation. The SkySails system is automated and requires only minimal action by the crew. An automatic control system steers the kite and adjusts its flight path. All information related to the system's operation is displayed on the monitor of the SkySails' workstation on the ship's bridge.

"For some time, we have been searching for a project that can help drive environmental best practice within the shipping industry and see this as a meaningful first step", said G.J. van den Akker, head of Cargill's ocean transportation business. "The shipping industry currently supports 90 percent of the world's international physical trade. In a world of finite resources, environmental stewardship makes good business sense. As one of the world's largest charterers of dry bulk freight, we take this commitment extremely seriously. In addition to lowering greenhouse gas emissions, the SkySails technology aims to significantly reduce fuel consumption and costs. We are very impressed with the technology and see its installation on one of our chartered ships as the first part of an ongoing, long-term partnership."

"We are delighted that Cargill is the first company to embrace our technology on a vessel this large as part of its commitment to help reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the shipping industry", said Stephan Wrage, managing director of SkySails. "We are excited that our technology will shortly be used on a handysize vessel for the first time and see great potential to incorporate it on larger ships in the future."

According to a United Nations (International Maritime Organisation) study, up to 100 million tonnes of carbon dioxide (CO2) could be saved every year by the broad application of the SkySails' technology on the world merchant fleet.1 This figure would equate to 11 percent of the CO2 emissions of Germany.

Cargill is a significant global transporter of agricultural, energy and industrial commodities. Although the company does not today own or operate ships, its ocean transportation business ships more than 185 million tonnes of commodities each year, in the process connecting supply from areas of surplus with demand in areas of deficit.

Back