• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

About Time- RCMP Cadets To Be Paid For Training

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
At least this will attract some of those whom otherwise would have had to stay away as they couldn't do the "charity" thing for 6 months.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings Act.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/06/20/5937271-cp.html

Government will pay RCMP cadets during training to compete in tight job market

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

REGINA - RCMP cadets are applauding the federal government's decision to pay them $500 per week while they train to become police officers.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made the announcement in Regina, saying cadets will immediately start earning the money for the duration of their 24-week training period. Harper says they want to make sure that the money will make becoming a Mountie even more attractive.
He says providing cadets with a modest training allowance will remove one of the impediments to RCMP recruiting efforts.

While the RCMP expects to try and hire 8,000 new officers over the next five years, the federal government acknowledges there's intense competition in the job market to recruit young people.
Some cadets who attended the announcement at the RCMP training depot say they welcome the money, but the prospect of not being paid during their training period didn't deter them from signing up for the job.
The federal government is moving to end the practice of unpaid training for RCMP cadets.

Reports saysPrime Minister Stephen Harper will announce today that the federal government will start paying RCMP cadets at the force's training academy in Regina.
The RCMP is one of the few police services in the country that doesn't pay cadets during their training period of six months.
Last year, David Brown, an independent investigator and former head of the Ontario Securities Commission called for major changes in the force, including payment of cadets.
He gave the RCMP until the end of this month to act on his recommendations.
About 2,000 young men and women enrol in the RCMP cadet training program in Regina each year.

Not only do cadets not get paid during their training period, but the RCMP also recommends that they budget at least $4,500 to cover clothing, textbooks and other course materials.

At last, for a long time I was really interested in joining the RCMP but having student loans and other obligations, going unpaid all the way through training with the Mounties made zero sense.  Unfortunately this won't be enough in a lot of cases to attract good candidates I suspect.  If my prime choice for a career change doesn't pan out this winter I'm going to see about joining the local constabulary which will pay me twice as much while in training.

glad to see this flaw finally fixed. no matter how much of a positive experience becoming a Mountie is, people have bills to pay

This may seem like a no-brainer question for some, but I was wondering- does this new change apply to those training to be Auxiliary Constables as well? The article does not really say.

No. Auxiliaries are not Regular members and thus not entitled to the same benefits. Auxiliaries are trained at their own individual detachments, are on strength both in the Detachment as well as in the Province that they're working under. Auxiliaries are not viewed as members of the RCMP per se, rather joint programs between the Province and the RCMP. That is why the badge in BC is a provincial silver shield with the BC coat of arms rather then the RCMP Buffalo.

A/Cst's are trained on weekends and usually one night a week by regular members (Det Aux Coordinator) . You do not go to Depot, so  you will not be paid.

Noneck

I wondered how they were going to pay the recruits. I gues 2% from everyone will do it.

medic_1 said:
I wondered how they were going to pay the recruits. I gues 2% from everyone will do it.

Double ??

What are you saying?

It was not that long ago they were paid anyways. It makes it fair for those with young families or have mortatges etc.

OWDU

Back