• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Act of Valor

• Thread starter Thread starter MikeL
  • Start date Start date
M

MikeL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQHDGAyKro
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83131

The Trailer for Act of Valor Debuts

Source: Yahoo! Movies

October 12, 2011

Relativity Media has debuted the trailer for Act of Valor, directed by "Mouse" McCoy and Scott Waugh and featuring active duty Navy SEALs, Roselyn Sanchez, Alex Veadov, Jason Cottle and Nester Serrano.

Opening in theaters on February 17, Act of Valor is powerful story of contemporary global anti-terrorism. Inspired by true events, the film combines stunning combat sequences, up-to-the minute battlefield technology and heart-pumping emotion for the ultimate action adventure.

When the rescue of a kidnapped CIA operative leads to the discovery of a deadly terrorist plot against the U.S., a team of SEALs is dispatched on a worldwide manhunt. As the valiant men of Bandito Platoon race to stop a coordinated attack that could kill and wound thousands of American civilians, they must balance their commitment to country, team and their families back home.

Read more: The Trailer for Act of Valor Debuts - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=83131#ixzz1acK2Dy4d

FlyingDutchman said:
Inspired by true events
Already I am aprehensive.

Remember, "inspired by" does not have the same meaning as "depicting."

If real SEALs were in the movie I can't see them tossing in BS maneuvers to make them seem cooler or more badass than they really are.

Can you elaborate on your aprehension?

Anyone's Grunt said:
Already I am aprehensive.

Remember, "inspired by" does not have the same meaning as "depicting."

If real SEALs were in the movie I can't see them tossing in BS maneuvers to make them seem cooler or more badass than they really are.

Can you elaborate on your aprehension?
When I go see a movie that are "inspired" or "based off" of real events they seem to be a bit more off of the truth then I like.  When it comes to real events, I prefer a factual representation than a hollywooded depiction. Personal preference, that is all.

FlyingDutchman said:
When I go see a movie that are "inspired" or "based off" of real events they seem to be a bit more off of the truth then I like.  When it comes to real events, I prefer a factual representation than a hollywooded depiction. Personal preference, that is all.

The summary in the OP does not say whether real missions are being depicted, therefore I assume (I know, I know) the main story is fiction.  Add to that it seems as though just the one SEAL platoon ends up travelling the world where I only assume (there is that word again) that several SEAL teams let alone platoons would be involved in a global terrorist manhunt.  I think it's safe to say the plot is fiction, but the actions and mission parameters are based on the real world SEALs.

I will agree that a movie that intends to depict historical events must be historically accurate, and when they fail to do so I become agitated at best.  However, this movie seems to be fiction based on real world weapons / tactics / actions / operations.

From what's seen in the trailer, it looks to be pretty good and from what little I know accurate, at least the action sequences.  I predict that there is a homefront aspect of the storyline that gets decidedly little screen time in the trailer.  This could be where the bulk of the cheese is.  Watch and shoot.

Act of Valor - Featurette (2012) [HD] - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_0zFnl61w

I was pretty jazzed by the trailer... good use of part one of Snow Patrol's Lightning Strike.

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Free preview tonight at the Base Theatre, CFB Borden @ 1930 hrs.

I'm scratching my head at the "active duty SEALS" allegedly starring in the film, with their names in the credits.  How much longer could they do covert SEAL work once they're splashed all over TV/movies?  Unless the U.S. gov't is "behind" the flick....

I can't wait to see this movie. I don't think the film maker would say they're using real SEALs if they didn't actually have them there, would be a lot of bad press. As Jim said, its purely entertainment. Nobody should be planning covert ops based off their tactics.

PuckChaser said:
I can't wait to see this movie. I don't think the film maker would say they're using real SEALs if they didn't actually have them there, would be a lot of bad press. As Jim said, its purely entertainment. Nobody should be planning covert ops based off their tactics.
No, no the real seals are in the Sea World scenes where there is lots of fish eating, and horn honking.  :D

There are plenty of docs/specials about SEALS that are on youtube (mostly going through BUD/S)  where you get to see their faces/names, and considering they are instructors chances are they are active duty.  Same thing for a recent video about US Army SFAS, the staff faces are fully visible along with their name tapes and ranks on their ACU's.

PuckChaser said:

It's quite realistic to have SOF soldiers play themselves as characters in movies doing the job they would do for real. I highly doubt the sailors have long winded conversations, and most of the other speaking role are actors. Most SEALs would be very comfortable speaking scripted from memory in front of groups, and unlimited retakes and editing would erase any mistakes.

There are many different types of SEALs. The ones who would be  the equivalent to our JTF2 ("SEAL Team Six") would not have their names (first, last, alias or otherwise)  and faces plastered all over the movie screens for all eternity.

Other SEALS who make up the "teams" who would be equivalent to our CSOR, probably do not have quite the extensive secrecy, and would likely have been granted permission from the US DoD to be used. 

The difference in skill and equipment would not be evident to anyone but those with intimate knowledge.

Rider Pride said:
It's quite realistic to have SOF soldiers play themselves as characters in movies doing the job they would do for real.
Good point - I just learned that this was the case from the commentary in "The Final Option/Who Dares Wins".

Rider Pride said:
There are many different types of SEALs. The ones who would be  the equivalent to our JTF2 ("team Six") would not have their names (first, last, alias or otherwise)  and faces plastered all over the movie screens for all eternity.

Other SEALS who make up the "teams" who would be equivalent to our CSOR, probably do not have quite the extensive secrecy, and would likely have been granted permission from the US DoD to be used. 

The difference in skill and equipment would not be evident to anyone but those with intimate knowledge.
Thanks for the added nuance - appreciated!

Can't wait to see this movie not looking for something really based on training, that's what the military channel is for, it will be entertaining though.

WEng said:
Can't wait to see this movie not looking for something really based on training, that's what the military channel is for, it will be entertaining though.

Don't get too wrapped around that channel. Good for infra info purposes but try not to take any ideas away from it as it is primarily American stuff.

Just got back from an advanced screening of the movie tonight. The people who play SEALs in the movie are the real deal. The acting is pretty stiff and forced, but the action is better than most movies and the guys are shown to be the professionals that they really are.

It will be added to my Blu-Ray collection when it comes out.

WeatherdoG said:
Just got back from an advanced screening of the movie tonight. The people who play SEALs in the movie are the real deal. The acting is pretty stiff and forced, but the action is better than most movies and the guys are shown to be the professionals that they really are.

It will be added to my Blu-Ray collection when it comes out.

A true Act of Valour (note correct spelling) would be to take your wife/GF to the movie for Valentine's Day. Show us where the Iron Crosses grow!

Back