• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Air Weapons System Technician (AWS TECH)

if I have common law status prior to move to Borden , but my wife is still in Trois-Rivieres , Quebec ...( I would assume they are not gonna move her for the duration of my class ) , will I be able to apply for 1 ( if the pmqs are still empty )

krimynal said:
if I have common law status prior to move to Borden , but my wife is still in Trois-Rivieres , Quebec ...( I would assume they are not gonna move her for the duration of my class ) , will I be able to apply for 1 ( if the pmqs are still empty )
I would get them to move her out there. You are looking at about 2 years. It will involve some paperwork involving change of posting status but it very doable.

so I could ask to file in a memo for her to move there with me , and we could get a PMQ and I could still attend regular classes ?

You ask questions that have very obvious answers.  If someone else was able to submit the request you can too.  No guarantees. 

yeah the reason why I ask is because I keep hearing people saying that they did it and it was very easy and doable , then when I come up with the same info with my CoC , they tell me that it's impossible , that if I'm on a course there is "NO WAY" my girlfriend could follow me , and that it's basically a "glitch" in the system and no one should of been allowed this in the first place .....

I just want to be sure , because if people tell me it's doable, then it's a whole different ball game.  I know there is no certainty that I will get such a request approved , but if at least I know that there is a chance , well let's just say it will change a lot of my planning , since I won't have to worry about a long distance relationship / won't have to worry on how to drive down there every month / won't have to worry about paying for a 2ND apartment where I won't live anymore / etc. 

Your CofC meaning your PRes arty unit?  They know nothing about how the RCAF training establishments run their business. 

Yes , by CofC I'm talking about my PRes arty unit.  I try to ask them questions about my tranfer , about the requirements , etc. etc. and no one as any idea whatsoever .... so yeah I'm kind of lost in all this , that's why I might sound really dumb on here , but it's the only place where I can get some kind of straight answer , since my unit is basically clueless to anything that isn't arty .....

Hey guys was wondering , for a Junior NCM in AWS I realize the 4 posting options ( Comox / Greenwood / Cold Lake and Bagotville ).

But once you are not seen as a junior technician , will there be some ways to get specialized on different type or aircraft , let's say one would look to join the 427 or 430Th sqn for the griffon.  Is this even a possibility for this trade or not at all ???

last weekend a MWO I had on my drivers class told me there were some there , when he was a AWS Tech but that was something like 20 years ago , and since the trade kind of died during a certain time and came back , is it still true ??

J. Harris, the course is basically 730 to 1530 Monday to Friday.  Living quarters are OK and they are pretty relaxed as to how you set up your room. Tests aren't every week more like every 2 or 3 weeks. Also cold Lake is still the biggest place to get posted.

Krrimynal, the trade is still sorting itself out but every platform we have save sar platforms will have AWS techs working on them. Even sar postings may end up having a couple to deal with flares and the like.

I know it has been a couple weeks, but I just wanted to confirm what others have said.  I am a current avs ql3 student and I live in a PMQ with my wife and children.  On my course of 11 people not a single person lives in shacks.  If you have common law status with your g/f then they will move her here too if that is what you want.  You can expect to be here a bare minimum of 2 years, but expect it to be longer.  I'm one of the few lucky ones that was course loaded pretty much back to back so I have virtually no pat time.  Now saying that I know people that have been sitting on pat for almost 6 months before their ql3 starts.  Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

I hate to burst bubbles but ACS is taking over chaff and flares as well as the SAR packages.
I'm in Trenton right now and posted to 424.
If your AWS chances are your going to fighters.
That being said, my buddies that have been posted to CL seem to love it.
The high price of housing is a bit of a sting, but the cost of everything else more than makes up for it.
Also, there are more than a few guys here trying to get posted to CL!!!

hotbarrelunload said:
I hate to burst bubbles but ACS is taking over chaff and flares as well as the SAR packages.
I'm in Trenton right now and posted to 424.
If your AWS chances are your going to fighters.
That being said, my buddies that have been posted to CL seem to love it.
The high price of housing is a bit of a sting, but the cost of everything else more than makes up for it.
Also, there are more than a few guys here trying to get posted to CL!!!

Source? Because that is not what I am hearing.

I heard that the majority of door gunners for choppers are AWS techs is this true or did i hear incorrectly?

Not sure what the Sea King fleet is doing but not one single AWS Tech is employed as a door gunner with land based choppers. I tried to pursue this for one of my AWS Techs last spring and was told by the Trade Adviser they would not entertain the idea as it was not part of the AWS trade specs as well as a waste of a tech with spec pay. In the end it makes sense.

Sea kings use Aesops if I am not mistaken. Or it is the FE. I can never remember which.  AWS techs are ground support crew not flight crew.

It is the AESOP... there in no FE on Sea Kings (anymore, there used to be 2 ar 406 until the early '90s, useful for non-tactical trips ie pilot traing and cross countries,  but a bit of a PITA otherwise).

Baz said:
It is the AESOP... there in no FE on Sea Kings (anymore, there used to be 2 ar 406 until the early '90s, useful for non-tactical trips ie pilot traing and cross countries,  but a bit of a PITA otherwise).
Thanks.  I always forget which one flies on the sea King.

The FE mans the gun on the right side of a Griffon and a Cbt Arms guy mans the gun on the left side. Many of the latter were Reservists during Op Athena. It was quite a novelty to see the variety of headgear worn with flying suits.

Baz said:

I believe the TACCO is qual'd on the wpn as well, no?

Back