• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All Things Plumbing & Heating Tech (merged)

Hi.
I have been wanting to sign up for years.  I don't want  anything to get in the way of that now.  Iv been doing night school to get my G3 gas technician ticket. Just did my test and feel good about it.

My question is: will a G3 Gas Technician ticket  count as any experience for plumbing and heating?

Iv been trying to get a plumbing/gas technician apprenticeship for years.  But ontario is soo cluttered with people that it's very very hard to get more education/job experience.

Iv always wanted to serve my country! I think about all the time.  Time to stop thinking and start doing. My wife is very supportive and thinks military life is the life for me.  She is also willing to relocate.

My goal (if accepted to the Canadian Forces) is to sign on as a PH Tech and when done move on to Refrigeration Tech. I would be planning on being with the CF for a very long time. The way I see it , the more training and tickets I have then the more I could give back to my Country.

Thanks
Corey

Jacal said:
My question is: will a G3 Gas Technician ticket  count as any experience for plumbing and heating?
Iv been trying to get a plumbing/gas technician apprenticeship for years.  But ontario is soo cluttered with people that it's very very hard to get more education/job experience.
Iv always wanted to serve my country! I think about all the time.  Time to stop thinking and start doing. My wife is very supportive and thinks military life is the life for me.  She is also willing to relocate.
My goal (if accepted to the Canadian Forces) is to sign on as a PH Tech and when done move on to Refrigeration Tech. I would be planning on being with the CF for a very long time. The way I see it , the more training and tickets I have then the more I could give back to my Country.

Yes, chances are very likely that a G3 ticket will count for something.  You would need to provide proof of your professional certifications and also a resume at the time of processing, which would be sent away for a PLAR (comparative assessment).  But don't exepct to get much, as PH Tech is a combined occupation (Plumbing and Heating).  Also the CF doesn't necessarily have it's members obtain "provincial or national certifications", unless their is an actual job requirement to do so.  In which case, you would have to pursue this on your own time and possibly at some expense to yourself.

Once you "sign on" as a PH Tech, that's it and that is now your occupation.  You don't just simply decide that tomorrow you will move on to RM Tech, it doesn't work that way.

Good luck!

Good day everyone,

Wondering if anyone who is currently in the plumbing/heating trade or works along side anyone who is, could speak towards how it is as a career?

I am currently looking to pursue an apprenticeship as a plumber, and thought that this might be a good route to go to become certified, and serve my country at the same time.

Also wondering if there is a variety of different aspects of plumbing/heating that those in this trade are exposed to (IE. Residential, New Construction, Commercial, etc.).

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers,

Will

WKerby92 said:
I am currently looking to pursue an apprenticeship as a plumber, and thought that this might be a good route to go to become certified, and serve my country at the same time.

WKerby92 said:
Got the offer today, headed for BMQ September 2nd as well! Vehicle Tech

Career change?

You may find this of interest,

mariomike said:
Certificates of Military Achievement Recognized in Alberta:
http://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/sources/pdfs/forms/military_trades.pdf

Vehicle Technician QL5
Construction Technician QL5
Cook QL5
Electrical Distribution Technician QL5
Marine Engineering Technician QL5
Marine Engineering Technician QL5
Supply Technician QL6
Plumbing and Heating Technician QL5

Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician QL5
Material Technician QL5

Certificates of Military Achievement Recognized in Ontario:
http://app06.ottawa.ca/cs/groups/content/@webottawa/documents/pdf/mdaw/mtkx/~edisp/cap201209.pdf
See page 5.

"If you hold a DND Certificate of Military Achievement at the Ql5 level and the rank of Corporal in the certification programs listed below, you can write the.red.seal Certificate of Qualification exam that corresponds to your military certification with no further training:
■ Marine Engineering Technician
■ Marine Electrician
■ Vehicle Technician
■ Material Technician
■ Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician
■ Electrical.distribution Technician
Plumbing and Heating Technician
■ Construction Technician, and
■ Cook
To be able to write the certification exam, you must submit the three documents listed in the “required documentation” section and include a copy of your Member’s personnel record résumé (Mprr) as evidence of your work experience in place of a letter from your employer."

See also,

Plumbing and heating tech questions 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/98508.0

Ph tech question
http://army.ca/forums/threads/114155.0

PH Tech question?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/83885.0

etc...

Yes sir.

Much obliged Mario, thank you for the resources. Was just hoping to get in contact with someone who has spent a fair amount of time in the trade.

Thanks again.

WKerby92 said:
Much obliged Mario, thank you for the resources.

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Attachments

• mario.jpg
    mario.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 408
I am an refrigeration mechanical technician with the Canadian forces, I have done heating, cooling and plumbing in the private sector before. My recommendation join the Forces now you won't regret it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Question though....I thought you had to be a Journeyman plumber to apply? no? Can you apply for the plumbing and heating tech as a apprentice?

Drew Grey said:
Question though....I thought you had to be a Journeyman plumber to apply? no? Can you apply for the plumbing and heating tech as a apprentice?

Plumbing and Heating Technician

Now Hiring: We are now accepting applications for this job through Direct Entry.

Required Education
The minimum required education to apply for this position is the completion of the provincial requirements for Grade 10 or Secondaire IV in Quebec. Foreign education may be accepted.
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/plumbingandheatingtechnician-59

Drew Grey said:

You don't require any qualifications or prior experience to apply for the PH Tech Occupation (Plumbing and Heating Technician), only the willingness and ability to undertake the training.  ( http://www.forces.ca/en/job/plumbingandheatingtechnician-59 )

Hoping to hear from someone in the trade plumbing and heating tech.
I am 4th year plumber. Already passed medical and interview.
Want to know how much plumbing and heating you guys actually do. If there is no work, do you guys have to be at the end of a broom or mop?
How much opportunity is there to work overseas? Build / maintain bases or humanitarian missions?
I am 30 years old, if all goes good I plan to retire in the military. Realistically what rank would I be able to reach?

Thanks to all that reply

Jcsnake said:
Hoping to hear from someone in the trade plumbing and heating tech.
I am 4th year plumber. Already passed medical and interview.
Want to know how much plumbing and heating you guys actually do. If there is no work, do you guys have to be at the end of a broom or mop?
How much opportunity is there to work overseas? Build / maintain bases or humanitarian missions?
I am 30 years old, if all goes good I plan to retire in the military. Realistically what rank would I be able to reach?

Thanks to all that reply
To help you out, I've moved your request into a thread chock full o' information on all things plumbing & heating tech.

Back