• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allergy to leather on Beret

tannerthehammer

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I had developed a rash on my forehead from wearing my beret that I was just issued...I'm in the reserves...I think it is because of the leather around the bottom because I have had a similar rash on  my arm from a leather watch...

What I want to know is will they issue me one of those Belgian style berets with the cloth instead of the leather?? Also will I still have to wear that beret till the new one comes in even though there is an obvious rash on my forehead?

Try just spending the $15 on a Belgian beret.  Keep the receipt and submit it if you get a medical chit stating you are allergic to leather.

PPCLI MCpl said:
Try just spending the $15 on a Belgian beret.   Keep the receipt and submit it if you get a medical chit stating you are allergic to leather.

Will that be acceptable on my basic training if I have the belgian beret?

I think that would all depend on your course staff.  Wear your issue beret when you report, have a Belgian on stand-by and as soon as you can get to the MIR, do so.

Good Luck.

I had the same problem when I first started wearing mine particularily when I wore it wet. I have eczema (skin sensitivity) and I had no problems shorty after. Pick up some over the counter Hydrocortisone cream or you can get your doctor to prescribe a stronger dosage. It will get rid of the redness and itching/dryness.

if you go to the UMS and they give you a chit for it then it won't matter what the staff have to say.

I have never heard of anyone being reimbursed for buying a "Belgique" beret.   If you want to buy one, it is usually out of your own pocket.   In days of old, only the officers were wearing berets with cloth bands, but now most Unit Kitshops sell them to anyone in the Unit.   Some Units, however, may still frown on wearing berets with cloth bands.  I am sure the price of one is now over $20.

As for a rash from wearing leather, that is common if you do not keep it clean.   Sweat in the watch strap or head band, combined with dirt will do that.

George hit the nail on the head! Sealing the leather with a water repellant helps a lot. Alternatively, get a Pakistani beret - they have a silk wrapping on the rim. Anyone remember herbie johnson berets? If they still sell headdress, you can get one of those too.

George Wallace said:
I have never heard of anyone being reimbursed for buying a "Belgique" beret.   If you want to buy one, it is usually out of your own pocket.   In days of old, only the officers were wearing berets with cloth bands, but now most Unit Kitshops sell them to anyone in the Unit.   Some Units, however, may still frown on wearing berets with cloth bands.   I am sure the price of one is now over $20.

As for a rash from wearing leather, that is common if you do not keep it clean.   Sweat in the watch strap or head band, combined with dirt will do that.

Actually the beret is brand spankin' new so thats not the problem...I had a leather watch once and got the same rash on my wrist so thats how I know its the leather band on the rim of the beret...

Considering some of the money people here pump into their kit out of their own pocket I don't think spending $15 is going to break you.
Buy two incase one breaks.

Back