• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Allowances - Post Living Differential (PLD) [MERGED]

Perhaps what we need is a pay scale based on location the same as certain trades in the public service. Don't know how it looks now but as some civilians' I knew in Halifax pointed out to me years ago - a shipwright in Halifax was paid lower than their counter part in Victoria because at that time the COL was higher in Victoria.
if this is still the case, it is only applicable to Dockyard Workers as they have separate unions on both coasts that negotiate for them separate from PSAC. The remainder of the public service fought long and hard to insure that equal work was paid equal wages in the mid 2000's. I started as a GT-01 Civilian Ammunition Technician at CFAD Dundurn, and now I am an acting GT-03 Civilian Ammunition Technician at CFAD Bedford. I'm just scrapping by on a temporary acting pay increase. I can't imagine how my counterparts in Rocky Point are getting by or how even they are able to "recruit" and retain new CAT's at such low pay.

Excelt that Maj might decide their knowledge and skills are better used elsewhere, rather than take a posting that will negatively impact their lifestyle.

Also, let's keep the comparisons a bit more realistic. A standard S04 Sgt in Ottawa will make about $280 more a month than a S04 Cpl, after CAFHD is taken into account. That's a minimum of 7 years of increasing responsibility, for $280 difference in pay. That's essentially making the crappiness of MCpl stretch out over another entire rank, a key rank normally achieved about the time in service when people are already inclined to say "Bye Felicia" to the CAF.
Don’t forget to subtract that Sgts now higher mess dues and mandatory functions from that 280 ;)

Don’t forget to subtract that Sgts now higher mess dues and mandatory functions from that 280 ;)
They have also likely been in the area longer than 7 years as well... So in reality, they will make less than their troops if the policy doesn't change.

I strongly suspect that the 7 year limitation will be lifted long before 2030.

I am also relieved that the new model is simple, and that the approval authority for changes to rates has been moved from a cabinet committee (Treasury Board) to a bureaucratic organization (Treasury Board Secretariat), meaning that the amendments will occur on a much more regular schedule.

I strongly suspect that the 7 year limitation will be lifted long before 2030.

I am also relieved that the new model is simple, and that the approval authority for changes to rates has been moved from a cabinet committee (Treasury Board) to a bureaucratic organization (Treasury Board Secretariat), meaning that the amendments will occur on a much more regular schedule.
Aren't we supposed to be under a glacier by 2030?

Re: the earlier discussion / questions a few pages back re: mbrs on IR. If your family was in a PLDA while you are on IR you kept PLD. Now it will be based on where you are posted to. So “it depends” on where you’re posted to, not the COL where your residence and family are.

IMG_6243.jpeg

Last edited:
Could you do the RCAF bases? Cold lake, Winnipeg, Trenton.
Here you go. Looks like the airforce is making out pretty good (other than the fact that this doesn't cover inflation).

Below is based on the current PLD for Cold Lake being $319 and Winnipeg being $0. Oddly, despite Trenton being such an important base, it's not listed on the CBI page as one of the designated PLD areas. That's weird considering such places as Rouyn-Noranda and Stratford being listed. Anyways, I assume it falls under either Peterborough or Kingston, both of which are $0. So I went with that. If it turns out that Trenton actually falls under something else, like one of the Torontos, let me know what it is or the $ value and I'll update. And as always, I'm always taking requests.

Cold Lake-Win-Trenton.jpg

Request - Greenwood and Comox. Hfx and Esq are/were PLDAs and this was a topic of dissatisfaction in the recent past for some coworkers/friends as housing/COL costs increased greatly in places like G-wood and Comox.

Last edited:
Here you go. Looks like the airforce is making out pretty good (other than the fact that this doesn't cover inflation).

Below is based on the current PLD for Cold Lake being $319 and Winnipeg being $0. Oddly, despite Trenton being such an important base, it's not listed on the CBI page as one of the designated PLD areas. That's weird considering such places as Rouyn-Noranda and Stratford being listed. Anyways, I assume it falls under either Peterborough or Kingston, both of which are $0. So I went with that. If it turns out that Trenton actually falls under something else, like one of the Torontos, let me know what it is or the $ value and I'll update. And as always, I'm always taking requests.

View attachment 76988

Cold Lake comes out better than I thought. @Quirky - Does the CF-18 tech community tend to stay static? Is an old Lake likely a >7 Years posting? Or do most techs at some point post out for at least a few years?

10 years is the norm and you could do your entire career (25 years) if you wanted. Tired of the CF life? Jump to civy side and do the same job without the military aspect. I can’t see that trend changing with the F-35 either, Cold Lake is always accepting people that want to be there.

Cold lake is just too isolated for many.

10 years is the norm and you could do your entire career (25 years) if you wanted. Tired of the CF life? Jump to civy side and do the same job without the military aspect. I can’t see that trend changing with the F-35 either, Cold Lake is always accepting people that want to be there.

Cold lake is just too isolated for many.
Ok, flip side, if a tech is coming in 7 years at Cold Lake and sees that loss of CFHD staring them in the face, is it easy to get posted elsewhere?

I suspect there will be a CAF-wide rush in about 6 years for usually static trades to find geographical postings, even if outside of their technical functions. Presupposing the 7 year limit doesn’t disappear by then.

Not sure what a relocation costs CAF these days, but that will be a second order effect in half a decade. Naval types- if a sailor wants to swap coasts, is that reasonably easy for them to get? Would navy resist that, or alternatively just quietly make it an accepted practice to preserve CFHD allowance?

Request - Greenwood and Comox. Hfx and Esq are/were PLDAs and this was a topic of dissatisfaction in the recent past for some coworkers/friends as housing/COL costs increased greatly in places like G-wood and Comox.
What's Greenwood PLD right now? $0? I'm assuming zero becaude you are definitrly outside the Halifax PLDA.

Ok, flip side, if a tech is coming in 7 years at Cold Lake and sees that loss of CFHD staring them in the face, is it easy to get posted elsewhere?

I suspect there will be a CAF-wide rush in about 6 years for usually static trades to find geographical postings, even if outside of their technical functions. Presupposing the 7 year limit doesn’t disappear by then.

Not sure what a relocation costs CAF these days, but that will be a second order effect in half a decade. Naval types- if a sailor wants to swap coasts, is that reasonably easy for them to get? Would navy resist that, or alternatively just quietly make it an accepted practice to preserve CFHD allowance?
My understanding is that most occupations get cost moves for about 10% of the trained strength of the occupation. By the time you use up cost moves due to promotions, there often isn't a lot of money left over for "Hey, I don't want to lose my CAFHD, can you post me?".

Back