• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ame

volition

Inactive
Reaction score
Who would I contact if I have civilian ame's that would like to contract work for DND?

volition said:
Who would I contact if I have civilian ame's that would like to contract work for DND?

http://www.army.gc.ca/lf/english/4_4.asp?CATE=0#32

Q: I have a product that I think might interest DND. Whom should I contact?

A: If you have goods or services to offer to the Government of Canada (which includes DND), visit the Contracts Canada website for information on government purchasing, and how to contact a materiel manager. For specific information, telephone Contracts Canada at (819) 956-3440 or toll-free at 1 800 811 1148.

Bombardier Aerospace, Spar Aerospace, L3 (Boeing Canada), IMP I think is the name they work on the Seakings.

Those are the major support companys who provide Aerospace services to DND. Look them up on the internet and they can lead you in the right direction.
Good luck there is some good money to be made as a private contracter for DND.

CTD said:
IMP I think is the name they work on the Seakings.

also TLIR for the Aurora, as well as the contract for the Cormorant.

Why not join the forces? They will credit you with time towards pay incentives and promotion for your civilian training and license. How do I know? I work at an ATO and we have several graduates join the forces every year.

I hate to burst your bubble but I Personally know three members who in the past few years joined the Airforce as mechanics who had their Civie AME Licence and were told of all the amazing offers the military had. The incentives for promotions, siging bonus and such etc.
in the end they got to bypass the majority of trades training, but still had to stay in Borden for many more weeks then they should have. None of them have received anything more then a 6 month incentive towards promotion.
Non of them were alloted the signing bonus for the understrength trade as it was a little while ago.
There were a few other broken promises but I am not at bay to discuss them.

End of the day do not fall for the bonus incentives they offer. If you want to join as a Aircraft Mechanic. Forget about what they are offering. Focus on the fact that you will be at the bottom of the food chain just as the new grads are. You will not receive special treatment.  but you will be going into a pretty good trade.
Join for the reason that you want to join not the offer.

No matter how you put it, your always going to get under pay in the military! :'( If you want to make moneystay a civilian! ;D

CTD said:
I hate to burst your bubble but I Personally know three members who in the past few years joined the Airforce as mechanics who had their Civie AME Licence and were told of all the amazing offers the military had. The incentives for promotions, siging bonus and such etc.
in the end they got to bypass the majority of trades training, but still had to stay in Borden for many more weeks then they should have. None of them have received anything more then a 6 month incentive towards promotion.
Non of them were alloted the signing bonus for the understrength trade as it was a little while ago.
There were a few other broken promises but I am not at bay to discuss them.

End of the day do not fall for the bonus incentives they offer. If you want to join as a Aircraft Mechanic. Forget about what they are offering. Focus on the fact that you will be at the bottom of the food chain just as the new grads are. You will not receive special treatment.  but you will be going into a pretty good trade.
Join for the reason that you want to join not the offer.

No bubble to burst here, friend. We've had the recruiters in at least once a year over the past 5 years. I've never ever heard any recruiter offer a signing bonus to the AME students. The students we've had sign up bypassed most of the trades training and were given 18 months time credit towards promotion and incentive. Yes, they were stuck in Borden on PAT platoon or whatever they call it now until they could slide in and out of course for the missing PO's. But they were getting paid better than apprentice wages to do it. One in particular was an ex 512 AFT who got out 12 yrs ago, he was bypassed recruit school as well.

All of them are making more money than an AME apprentice would. None of them are making what an LAT would at Air Canada, but most will be close in 5 yrs and they have the job security that nobody in the civil aviation industry does.

My personal experience as a skilled entrant was that no bonus of any kind was offered, only incentive to rank and pay and bypassing training.

You funny!! The civil world is in a deep shortage of ame. When your making 100k and working 6 week on/6 weeks off, that means your working only half of year for your salary, and plus vacation that we did not even include.

Agreed, the gray hair epidemic is quite noticeable in the civil aviation sector. A majority of the work force will retire in the next 5 - 10 yrs and replacement workers are coming in at a very, very slow rate. The CAMC has put a plan into place to host mass immigration to fill the jobs.

SAIT is the only college teaching AME programs that has full enrollment. The youth of today are pursuing other more profitable careers.

Can you tell me where that 110K a year half time job is? My students would love to apply it. So would most of the AME instructors here. It beats the heck out of making $12/hr as an apprentice at Bobby Joe's flying school and getting sent home unpaid when you aren't busy enough. Hopefully it's a sign of the times and the aviation industry is finally willing to pay AME's like they pay pilots.

The nice thing about the Airforce is they pay $30 an hour. Have benifits and every 15th and 30 you have the money in the bank.
The $100,000 year jobs in Civie aviation are far and few between, but the wages of 40-70g a year are the average. The military you will start out approx $18 an hour and after 2-3 years even if civie qual be at $30 an hour.
If you have previous Airfirce Quals then the books are different.

Contact CHC to work, but students will not get offered jobs, you need a bunch of experience. CTD sounds about right! :salute:

volition said:
You funny!! The civil world is in a deep shortage of ame. When your making 100k and working 6 week on/6 weeks off, that means your working only half of year for your salary, and plus vacation that we did not even include.

As a retired CRS tech who is presently working for a major airline here in Canada, I can tell you that your figues are not realistic.  6 weeks on 6 weeks off?  No airline in Canada works it's people like that.  In my section we work 12 hr shifts, 5 on 5 off.  Yes that does mean you are only at work half a year, but when you are there you are there for 12 hrs and you can kiss any extracurricular activities goodbye as well as taking it easy in the evenings.  However not all AME jobs works those shifts.  Some are only on days or on call.  It just depends on where you have been assigned to work. 

I can't think of anyone here who is making 100k either, unless they are working a ton of overtime, and in this industry that is frowned on unless for a special purpose.  Most of our AMEs top out at about 75k, with about 15 years of experience to get there.  We do get vacation like every other company,  2 weeks to start and 3 weeks after the first 4 years.  A lot less than the military gives out.

Don't be swayed by unrealistic figures.  Life as an AME is good but there are times I would like to have the hours I had in the forces. 

100,000k per year and 6weeks on/6 off are both correct.  I'm was an AME for a large helicopter company and those were the shifts for the guys doing tours overseas.

Back