• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

High Ranking Police Folk Allegedly Behaving Badly

My organization has given preliminary approval for generative AI being used for initial transcription of audio, to then be verified by a human ear. That will likely be vastly more efficient. My unit has some fantastic civilian transcribers for our file disclosure. The general rule of thumb is one minute of audio is ten minutes of work- and that’s when done by properly equipped pros. It’s a great example of a task that can and should be done by violin support staff and not cops, although it’s fair to expect an officer to do a final review of their own audio against a transcript for court purposes.

It can be tough for us because we do large crown disclosures with potentially many dozens of statements, and often they want transcripts for all of them rather than summaries/will-says. New technology is gonna be great for this task. Hopefully we can start throwing AI at redaction/vetting as well.
That’s HUGE. That’s a good use of the technology. Man in twenty years when we start our five year pilot on something you’ve been doing since tomorrow it’s going to be something.

Surely they must be doing this if only required for a Crown Brief. I can't imagine every road warrior reviewing every recorded moment of previous shifts.

The public doesn't realize how astonishingly time consuming and resource intensive this single aspect of a criminal investigation is. In days gone by, hours and hours of typists transcribing every 'um' and 'ah', and hours and hours of proof-reading the transcript against the tape. Everybody thinks once the charges are laid its all done except the wrap-up party.
I can't speak to what calls they have to do this for, I'm not a police officer, just a fire inspector. We have our own special hell of paperwork to do.

My organization has given preliminary approval for generative AI being used for initial transcription of audio, to then be verified by a human ear. That will likely be vastly more efficient. My unit has some fantastic civilian transcribers for our file disclosure. The general rule of thumb is one minute of audio is ten minutes of work- and that’s when done by properly equipped pros. It’s a great example of a task that can and should be done by violin support staff and not cops, although it’s fair to expect an officer to do a final review of their own audio against a transcript for court purposes.

It can be tough for us because we do large crown disclosures with potentially many dozens of statements, and often they want transcripts for all of them rather than summaries/will-says. New technology is gonna be great for this task. Hopefully we can start throwing AI at redaction/vetting as well.
Similar to my last posting; Crown Briefs that were often denoted in volumes (I've seen an search warrant ITO fill a banker's box)

Long before the current tech advancements, but even back then one challenge was convincing the bean counters that any kind of tech or new way of doing things doesn't always equal fewer staff (either cops or support), and sometimes it means more, somewhere.

Having a room full of typists/transcribers may seem anachronistic to many, but here we are. Presenting a body of evidence that is intended to restrict someone's rights requires a high level of accuracy and court confidence, and the tech is nowhere near there yet.

Where there's smoke...

Corruption concerns within VicPD to be investigated by Delta, Surrey police​

The Victoria and Esquimalt Police Board has tasked Delta and Surrey police departments with investigating corruption concerns within the Victoria Police Department.

The board’s governance committee announced its decision at a public meeting on Tuesday evening.

“We take (this complaint) very seriously. I can’t emphasize that enough,” governance committee chair Paul Faoro said at the meeting.

Former board member and retired human rights lawyer Paul Schachter triggered the investigation on Feb. 16 when he f(opens in a new tab)iled a Police Act complaint against VicPD(opens in a new tab),(opens in a new tab) which is in the throes of a corruption controversy.

Back