• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are ATIS tech qualified after completion of QL3 ?

Narcisse

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm currently enrolled under NCM-SEP and beginning my third and last year of college in about a month (studying electrical engineering with a telecommunications specialty). I was a RegF ArtyO before, I will then skip BMQ and head directly to Kingston awaiting QL3 (as I understand, because of my college diploma, I will be skipping POET, can anyone confirm this ?).

I was looking at the course calendar on the CFSCE website earlier today at the office and saw that there was only dates for POET, QL3 and QL6A for both fiscal year 2012-2013 and 2013-2014. I assume there's no more QL5A and that ATIS tech are then qualified (getting their Cpl and spec pay) directly after completion of QL3 ?

Thanks for your habitual rapid and precise answers,

Cheers !

If you're NCM-SEP, then you'd bypass POET for certain.  There are specific trade progression rules for NCM-SEP, and I'm not certain of the existence of a QL5 course for ATIS Tech, I've been out of the loop too long.  I'd be highly surprised if you were given Cpl and spec pay without a period of OJT in the trade, even as NCM-SEP.

Thanks, I was pretty sure for POET but I wanted a confirmation. I'm happy about that !

Yes, seems there's indeed some specific progression rules for NCM-SEP. I know about a bridging training for trades such as weapon eng. tech. in the navy but I haven't seen some sort of training like that at CFSCE. I think there's an OJT during QL3, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for your time Occam !

Any other precisions are welcome !

Late reply, missed this post.

Following your QL3, you will then get your first posting and will begin your QL4 package. The '4s' consist of Online Learning (PIPs) and to get signed off on some hands on learning for: 
  • Radios (Air Ground Air)
  • Networking
  • IT
  • ComSec
  • Radar (SSR, PAR, Tacan, GCA
  • Linesman Shop
  • FM Shop (audio setups, general maintenance)

You will do the above mentioned over a span of a year or so, give or take. During that time you will attend courses on driving on the airfield and such. At about the 2  to 3 1/2 mark, you will go on your QL5s which now is 2 months, with another set of Online PIPs that need to be completed in the view of a Sgt or above prior to leaving for Trenton.

So, expect to spend a good portion of the next 3 years of your trade learning and relaying what you pick up. This is one trade where you're always seeing something new. You picked one of the most fun, versatile, and busy trades in the CAF.

Back