• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Are Corporals shown the respect they deserve by subordinates & superiors?

Seriously Greg, I have trouble deciphering your posts. :-\

Are you saying that guys who don't want to be leaders (i.e. career CPLs) should not be given authority over anyone but themselves?

Yeoman said:
so maybe i have missed it
but what about Cpl's like myself that have zero interest in leading?
all they want is someone to tell them where to make sure their toys are pointed in the proper direction of the enemy?
all this talk about new cpls and what not. they're new, they do need some breaking in period like anything else you got you know?
i'm sorry after six years in the regs and i still feel that i am not ready to be a leader.
probably never will when i go back to the reserves.

Yeoman,

I alluded to this but failed to speak to your point.

I, for one, think that the Army is very well served by soldiers who are happy to remain Cpls. Somebody has to lead, but not everybody. I like to see soldiers who want more responsibility, but I am equally happy to see soldiers who simply enjoy being very good at their job and do not desire a leadership role. As a young OCdt at PV helping with track maintenance on the Course Officer's M113 some twenty years ago I met some Cpls who were extremely skilled crewmen and were happy to remain so. I had a ton of respect for these guys (professional, independent, family men who just wanted to work and do their duty without a lot of supervision). Some guys seem to enjoy mentoring new soldiers but not being the boss. My maternal grandfather served with the RN before and during the war and turned down all promotion because he wanted to remain "one of the boys." Everybody is different.

Pushing somebody into a leadership position when they don't really want it can be a recipe for several unhappy people (the individual, his subordinates and his supervisor). Having said that, sometimes all that is needed is a nudge. In any case, the selection of individuals for CLC/JNCO/PLQ is arguably one of the most important decisions that the chain of command makes.

Some may disagree with me, but I think that a soldier can be highly motivated and not want a leadership position at the same time. Some organizations depend on highly motivated long-service Cpls who are OK with slowing their promotions down in order to learn/execute advanced skills. I served in a Recce Sqn with three Troopers and a host of Cpls, and that Sqn was a damn fine outfit!

All that to say, I believe that our Army certainly has an important place for the soldier who is happy to remain a Cpl.

The environment in which a Cpl works, IMHO, impacts how he is employed WRT leadership. Where i work, Corporals arrive and are unqualified to do anything. When they are somewhat qualified ( have completed their type course) they are still not in a position to supervise anyone as they have not completed their OJTP. By the time that is done, they will have been promoted to MCpl.

This will soon change as Ptes begin to enter our trade and units. That being said, remusters who show up will be Cpls and will still be in the same positions as those who went before them. The only thing i expect from my Cpls is that they know better than to do something stupid. When i need someone to take charge, i look to my MCpls.

Do my Cpls get the respect they deserve ?

No. They get the respect that they earn.

sorry wonderbread, you should know by now anything i say is always jumbled and makes little sense on these boards. you've only know me as a young new trooper in 1 you know?
But I mean we had covered all the positions of a Corporal, except for the Corporal that just wants to be a Corporal for life you know? Thought it would be important to have that brought into the thread as well.
Tango2 Bravo said exactly what I was trying to get at (I would use bigger and more fancier words, but I can't spell them)
I've always thought it is rather important to have Corporals like that in the company. Someone that's been around, knows how the game gets played.
Someone that the younger troops can go up to to ask for advice.
I know I've done that in the past, and probably always will until I'm unknowingly in that position myself.
So yes I'm one of those people that's opposed to that 25 and out program when it comes to retirement time lines.

If a Sgt is a section commander and a MCpl is a section 2IC, maybe we need to formally create a position called 'Section 3IC' or something and make that a Cpl's post.

In D&B's world, a section should have 3 x 4 man teams (God is on the side of the big sections), so the Cpl could lead one of those three and be 'on deck' as the next for promotion to MCpl. I've seen LCpls and senior Ptes/Marines do very well in this format.

Other cbt arms and service support units could no doubt do something similar.

daftandbarmy said:
Other cbt arms and service support units could no doubt do something similar.

Our platoon does something somewhat similar. A section has 3 or 4 crews of 3 pers. The third CC is the 3i/c. Although the role has not been refined in the field domestically, the 3i/c is part of the info and decision chain to ensure continuity. The Cpl 3i/c is basically the next in line.

Back