• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Armoured Soldier Questions

When you get to the Regt, go in and tell the Ops O and Ops WO that all they do is "Admin".

Especially if it's the RCD Ops Warrant you tell this to............... I can guarentee you that you'll be leaving his office with red ears. That man can really tear a strip off a Trooper.  ;D

If he's still the same bloke as last year then 'Yes, yes and YES!'.
The Ops WO is a great yeller and very keen in everything he does.

The one and the same Hale............ We miss having you around the lines. Glad things worked out in that you got to spend some time with us.

Regards

I want to thank everyone who answered the questions I had. I passed all the testing very quickly and was offered a position as Armoured Crewmen  ;D August 24 is my swearing in and I will be starting BMQ Sept 10. Like everyone else I can't wait to jump head first into the new lifestyle ahead of me. I just have a couple more questions... Looking to the future (a little premature as I still have to tackle BMQ) I was wondering which regiment is seeing a greater influx of new troopers? RCD or LdSH? I really don't have a preference as to which I will be posted, although Recce is very appealing. As well.. (this is more for curiosity) What sort of operations are the armoured trade involved in conducting in Afghanistan. The majority of the media surrounds the jobs the infantry conducting patrols and security for the PRT, but what about the armoured men and women?  Thanks broadening my understanding!

I really don't have a preference as to which I will be posted
I hope you take this advice for what its worth I served with both these fine regiments and to some I may not have had to glorious jobs or have been as visible as others but I put 120% in what I had to do.I promise you this wherever you end up make the best of it and you will be proud to be part of the team. I felt the same way you do when I first went down your path many moons ago 33 years in fact. Trust me it will be the people around you and the experiences that will guide you along your path. To this day I still feel it..that atmosphere of belonging and a life like no other I envy you.

Hammond

Neither has a higher priority per say.  Both require Troopers, but the number of vacancies in each will vary from time to time for various reasons.  All the Armour Regiments are training on the Leo 2, and all will rotate Troops through Afghanistan to crew the Leo 2s in theatre.  There is always a Recce Sqn in Afghanistan, so there is always a Recce Sqn to rotate in and out of there.  Most often that has come from the RCD. 

It really doesn't matter where you go, you will be busy.

Thanks for the quick reply. I can`t wait to get involved with the corps... but one step at a time. Sept can`t come fast enough. I know I've asked how often our trade trains with other trades, but how often are exercises conducted? Would it be safe to assume more often then the reserves? What can I expect in a month? As always thanks for sharing your time!

Hammond,

The exercises are not as plentiful as you may think.  There are however, numerous classes (IBTS, PLQ etc..) to fill your days.  On occasion there are "roll outs", but they do not happen near often as you may imagine.  The fall/winter is a very busy time, and you will be kept busy.  Most major ex's occur during this time, and you will be tasked out / put on course more often than not during this time.  Right now, the RCD is very busy sending its troops to get LEO 2 qualified.  Summers on the other hand are slow, as the regiment is on leave for almost a month, and planning for the fall training campaign is underway. 

This isn't very detailed, but it gives you a taste of what you can expect.

Quag said:
Summers on the other hand are slow, as the regiment is on leave for almost a month 
I heard a shocking thing speaking of that. I would never do it, I dont want to encourage you to be lazy or anything like that (heaven forbid!). But i've heard of people taking their leave after everyone else, spending 2 weeks hanging around the hanger doing bugger all and then when everyone gets back, and all the work starts again, they're off like a light.
Shocking i know. Dont do it myself, i just think i should tell you about it now so you can avoid it if the situation comes up.
Awesome? Good luck out there fellers,
Bold and Swift.

..............or as the RCD have often done:  Fifty percent take their Lve during July and Fifty percent take their Lve in Aug.  Block Lve plans are constantly changing, and some times due to Operational Tempo there will not be any Block Lve.  It is not written in stone what the Unit will do for Lve.

Quag said:
Right now, the RCD is very busy sending its troops to get LEO 2 qualified.  Summers on the other hand are slow, as the regiment is on leave for almost a month, and planning for the fall training campaign is underway. 

Strange....tank course messages aren't even out yet.

The courses are for Leo C2......not Leo 2. (They're not even in Canada yet.)

Summers are not slow as troops were tasked right up to the day before block leave and the Regiment was on leave (some of us anyways) for 3 weeks max.

New troops got 2 weeks tops.

Don't know where you're getting your info....but your picture is somewhat wrong.

Regards

Well seeing as to how troops just got back from overseas learning the LEO 2....I'm not sure where you are at.

Yes there are courses for C2 going on as well.

Summers are slower than the Fall/Winter is what I was trying to get at.

Quag said:
Well seeing as to how troops just got back from overseas learning the LEO 2....I'm not sure where you are at.

Yeah but the RCD are not "busy" sending alot of troop there are they ?  My understanding was that the troops that went to Germany were going to be the cadre that will train troops back in Canada once we get our Leo 2s.

No not super busy, just saying...  Mind you there is a lot of administrative stuff that goes on for them while they are overseas.

And yes, they are the training cadre that will train troops on the Leo 2's.

Quag said:
No not super busy, just saying...

Are you at the RCD now ?

Mind you there is a lot of administrative stuff that goes on for them while they are overseas.

I'm sure its not swamping the regiment

And yes, they are the training cadre that will train troops on the Leo 2's.

Thanks

CDN Aviator said:
Are you at the RCD now ?

Yes

CDN Aviator said:
I'm sure its not swamping the regiment

Ok bad choice in words.  The RCD are not super busy doing that, I simply meant that this one of the things thats ongoing and consuming resources right now (on top of the LEO 2 and C2 training etc...)

CDN Aviator said:
No worries...I'm sure RBD will be around shortly to throw in something else, I was just trying to give Hammond an idea of what goes on at the RCD...A super undetailed and fast idea...

Hey, I'm kinda gonna piggyback this thread only cause i'v been waiting for Hammond to ask, when training in garrison where are the places you travel to...i know theres Wainwright and Gagetown, but i also hear of training in the states and possibly Germany, Is this true or do you mostly stay on Canadian soil

In short, the sky is the limit....

I have a friend that just got back from the UAE training their troops.  Current friends leaving for Panama, California etc...  (All in the Armour Corps).

I'm sure other people will fill you in on where they have been tasked to, but do plan to travel!

holy moly...i never even thought of those places.  All i'v ever read about was Texas and the bigger well known Amoured states.  That makes me even MORE excited to get in, i'm just waiting for my medical / interview on Aug. 28th and i hope i get sucked into the fall/winter BMQ/SQ fast so i can be a "zipperhead" for the rest of my days

Back