• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army food is 'cheaper than a dog's dinner'

The Usual Disclaimer:

From www.kelownadailycourier.ca
National
Canadian rations to include protein supplement as meal replacement
By MURRAY BREWSTER
Sunday, July 29, 2007
OTTAWA (CP) - In 55 degree heat and with Taliban rockets raining down, the last thing most of us would feel like doing is chowing down on a steaming bag of preserved salmon fillet.

With that in mind, the Canadian army is set to introduce a protein drink to its field ration kits, a specially formulated supplement similar to what body builders use.

Maj. Julie Johnson, who is responsible for keeping the army’s supply of individual meal packs flowing to the front, says the military has found soldiers in Afghanistan operating "outside of the wire" have often not been eating three meals a day.

"Nobody really wants to choke down ravioli when it’s 150 degrees out, so the protein supplement is something that can be used in lieu," she said in an interview.

The meal replacement is a powdered drink that mixes with water and comes in three flavours - vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. It will begin appearing in soldiers’ rations within the next couple of weeks, said Johnson.

About a year ago, the army started to realize that soldiers, especially those running the gauntlet of supply convoys from Kandahar Airfield to far-flung desert bases, didn’t have the time or the inclination to eat breakfast, lunch and supper every day.

"When I saw that, I said that was inappropriate and we need to maintain their nutritional wellness," said Johnson.

Individual meal packs - or IMPs - are the stuff of culinary legend in the army, with a shelf life of over three years.

As soldiers often say: "Once you’ve had it, you’ll never forget it, although you wish you could."

Often derided as an assault on the pallet, the rations are distributed to troops when it’s impossible to set up field kitchens, which in Afghanistan means pretty much everywhere outside of the main NATO base at Kandahar Airfield, the provincial team base in the city and select forward operating bases.

The brown-bagged meals, of which there are 18 varieties, contain one main entree, a dessert, powdered fruit drinks, coffee, candy and, significantly, a comment card.

Over the years, there have been some colourful responses. A macaroni and cheese dinner, into which the supplier inexplicably added freeze-dried peas, elicited a barrage of comments.

Nicole Belanger-Drapeau, the civilian manager of the ration program at National Defence, said she was bombarded with notes for three years saying: "Pleeeease get rid of the peas."

Other unpopular selections that have now been purged from the menu include the breakfast ham omelette and the ham steak dinner.

When the company that manufactures the rations decided to drop the little chunk of preserved, bagged bread from its inventory, Belanger-Drapeau decided to replace it with packages of dried toast, which soldiers later compared to eating chunks of hardened Styrofoam.

"Well, again I was proven wrong because soldiers did not like them," she said with a mildly exasperated wave of her hand.

Belanger-Drapeau has perhaps one of the most unforgiving jobs at National Defence, deciding what to put on the combat ration menu. She organizes annual taste-testing events at bases across Canada to try out new selections.

"It’s extremely difficult and it’s becoming even more difficult with the younger generation," she said.

Unlike their fathers and grandfathers, who would have been happy scarfing down wieners and beans, many of the country’s new soldiers have sophisticated and diverse taste buds.

They like food with a lot of flavour and spices, said Belanger-Drapeau.

"We’ve moved towards what you would call ethnic food so you have a good variety," she said.

"With 18 choices you’re trying to feed over 1,600 troops - or even the entire army - it’s very difficult because in a family of four you have two people who don’t eat this and the others don’t eat that."

Some of the dinner menu selections now include Indian chicken, Szechwan chicken and cabbage rolls.

Another unexpected problem: the length of time troops eat the bagged food. With field operations sometimes lasting weeks, the chances of eating the same meal over and over are pretty high.

"What was appealing on a 10-day exercise in Canada is no longer appealing in Afghanistan - or it’s hard with the temperatures to swallow," said Johnson.

Peanut butter and chocolate bars are examples of things that are popular back home, but quickly become an unappealing gooey mess in the withering deserts.

"Everybody fights for the IMP with the chocolate bar in Canada, they horde it and it sometimes becomes currency, but in Afghanistan it’s the last thing you want because it melts," said Johnson.

Despite the grumbling, soldiers must not be able to get enough of them. The meal packs have become a hot commodity - so to speak - even back in Canada, where EBay was offering Friday five packs for $42.
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/includes/datafiles/CP_print.php?id=56654&title=Canadian%20rations%20to%20include%20protein%20supplement%20as%20meal%20replacement

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=famished-squaddies-facing-rap&method=full&objectid=19537602&siteid=93463-name_page.html
The Usual Disclaimer:
29 July 2007
FAMISHED SQUADDIES FACING RAP
Famished British troops in Afghanistan are being threatened with charges - if they eat US food.

Squaddies fighting the Taliban claim they are forced to sneak into American canteens because their own rations are so stingy.

One private in Kandahar told his mum in a letter: "We eat in the Americans' cookhouse even though we are not allowed to.

"They say if we get caught we will be charged. But our cookhouse is proper s*** and theirs is quality."

He added bitterly: "I'm not surprised they are fat." And the mother of another hungry squaddie said: "My son gets American soldiers to help them.

"It's the only way he and his comrades can get anything proper to eat.
"He described the British canteen food as slop and said the rations were never enough.

"It's a disgrace - I hope Gordon Brown reads this and feels ashamed enough to do something." Soldiers on active service should get 4,000-calorie food packages every day.

But many Brits rely on food parcels from home.

Us personnel have a 24-hour mess with a choice of nutritious grub or Burger King and Pizza Hut meals

Reply re: the above from a mate of mine from 1 PARA. Classic....

"What are they doing in a cookhouse - I thought they were all out on ops.  Must be all the fat staff officers hungry for a burger.'

US personnel have a 24-hour mess with a choice of nutritious grub or Burger King and Pizza Hut meals.

:rofl:

"The People" - heh...consider the source...

3rd Herd said:
Peanut butter and chocolate bars are examples of things that are popular back home, but quickly become an unappealing gooey mess in the withering deserts. 

Looks like the obvious area for investigation is not a wider range of food types but a range of meals based on different work environments.  Definately a good idea getting rid of the hard bars and replacing them with extra liquid forms of desert, and it makes even more sense to put in meals that still taste good without having to be cooked.  Who wants to cook food or boil water when its 50C out? 

3rd Herd said:
LRDG, North Africa, and tea time.

Hmmm, well in that case it cant be helped.  Not much tea though when you only got a water issue of 1 liter per man per day (if I recall from the book correctly).

Letters Home: Military Food in Iraq
Posted Friday, August 10, 2007 ; 04:32 PM
Updated Friday, August 10, 2007 ; 05:02 PM

"Harrison County native and Marine Lance Corporal Joshua Lawson updates us on the war in Iraq.
AL ASAD, Iraq -- Lance Corporal Joshua Lawson, a Salem native, is serving his second tour of duty in Iraq with the Marines.

He has agreed to email us journal entries on his experiences in Iraq to give us a West Virginia perspective on the war.

Below is his latest entry.

Greetings once again from Al Asad, Iraq. According to my calendar I haven’t been here long, but I feel like time is going by pretty fast. The weather has been great. I think the highest it has been in the last week was around 110. But it’s a different kind of heat than back home. Here, it is a dry heat with no humidity at all. Another thing people always ask about is the food. The food is actually not that bad. We had lasagna one day last week. It was pretty good. Then there are days where you can’t exactly tell what it is, but it tastes good anyway..........." http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=27445

I've had the Brit field rats and they're not all that bad.  The thing is a rat sucks, anyway you cut it.  After the initial "neato" factor that a new recruit feels when they play around with it, everybody pretty much hates the things.

What I really think we need to do is dump the garbage from a 24hr of a platoon's IMPs to show them:

1)  How much of this shit actually gets eaten.

2)  How much of the shit is thrown out.

I feel sorry for CQ's who have to constantly truck out the waste generated by our field rats (if they aren't burnt).  If there was some thought put into the rations (perhaps by folks who've had to pack and carry 72hrs worth and carry it with other kit) we could get a days worth of food packed into a single package requiring minimal effort (if any) to strip and pack.

The latest on the British food crisis:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=475125&in_page_id=1811

'We shouldn't have to pay to send food parcels to our troops' says angry mum
Last updated at 17:33pm on 13th August 2007

Desperate Army wives, girlfriends and mothers are mailing food parcels to their loved ones fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan because they claim soldiers are not getting enough to eat.

Messages from troops in the Middle East say they are only getting proper meals every other day and have to exist in between on dried rations like those used by soldiers in the Second World War.

Now one mother Teresa Theobald has launched an on-line petition calling for the high cost of postage to be dropped - so families can send out basic food like rice and pasta to troops coming under daily attack in front line positions.
And she is organising a protest picket of the military sorting office in London from where the parcels are shipped overseas.

Teresa, whose 19-year-old son Graham is in Southern Afghanistan, spends £13 a week to send him food but claims some families cannot afford to post vital supplies to the trouble-torn regions.

"I am appalled - they say an Army marches on its stomach but according to hundreds of messages I am getting, soldiers out there are having to exist on rations for a lot of the time," said Theresa 41, from Ipswich, Suffolk.

"It is not luxuries we are sending out there - it is staple foods like rice and things like glucose powder. I have even tried sending Graham apples and biscuits but sometimes it can take up to a month for the parcels to get through to him.
"He is at a forward base where conditions are really appalling and the soldiers are suffering from dehydration and sickness. Sending food parcels is not just to boost their morale - it is to help them keep going.

"They give priority to things like ammunition but they also send out tonnes of flour for the local population who are being protected by soldiers who are not getting proper regular meals themselves."

The "Parcels for Free" petition - on Downing Street's website - has already attracted hundreds of names and the issue has been raised by Lib Dem leader Sir Menzies Campbell and the Tories' Dr Liam Fox.

Mother-of-five Theresa said: "The campaign is going really well and I have had backing from a colonel and a captain as well as many ex-servicemen. But the problem is that the Ministry of Defence say it is the Royal Mail who set the rates - while Royal Mail insist it is the Ministry of Defence.

"The point is that I can afford to pay the postage but I have heard from many desperate women who simply don't have the spare money to send food parcels to their loved one out there."

Des Browne, Secretary of State for Defence said: "The MoD makes no charge to carry postal packets through the British Forces Post Office system to personnel on operations.

"The cost that is payable is that charged by the Royal Mail to carry postal packets from local post offices to the BFPO depot at Mill Hill in London."

A spokesman for the MoD said that the cost of subsidising the parcels would be around £6million a year and the money would have to come from another part of the defence welfare budget.

Has their or our system changed?  It used to be that as long as you could get your package into the mail system at your nearest CF base (usually your base of origin), the military transported it the rest of the way without cost to the originator.  It was a while ago since Ive been on an English base, but I thought their system worked the same way...

If there was some thought put into the rations (perhaps by folks who've had to pack and carry 72hrs worth and carry it with other kit) we could get a days worth of food packed into a single package requiring minimal effort (if any) to strip and pack.

We already have those, there called freeze dried artic Rat's. Add hot water water and voila, instant "PUKE IN A BAG"Yum, Yum. I think it was called Chile concardy or something like that, another favorite was reconstituted beef stew, yum, yum, that was really tasty, nothing like crunching down on a hard piece of supposed beef that tastes like cardboard.... And who can forget the instant pudding, chocolate and vanilla, just add water. They were certainly Light and easy to carry, not much waste, except what came out of you after eating a few days worth of them is another matter and you were always hungry. Total garbage. I'll stick to the good old IMP's, I actually didn't mind carrying a few extra, if you rip them apart and store them in different places on your webbing, combats, ruck, its wasn't all that bad. But please no freeze dried Rat's!!

Theres no getting away from the quality over quantity issues. If you want good rats, you have to sacrifice something and that's weight, unless you want them to issue you with ration "pills" One pill for protein, another for carbohydrates, etc, etc. Theres no perfect solution when it comes to rations.

Sure there is - you ever see what's left over after troops strip down their rats?

The main meal and the fruit are generally not too bad - and they are also a rather slim and small part of that big friggen bag of junk.  The fact that I can strip rats down and get a days worth of food into one of those bags means that somewhere someone isn't putting enough thought into how they are designed.

Garbage sucks (especially if you have to carry it) and weight sucks.  We should (and can be) ruthless in getting a decent meal at a third of the size.

We used to have a section box, in the carriers, were after we'd strip down the rats, we'd throw what we didn't like into it and take what we did like. Saved the CQ alot of garbage and we had extra munchies for the guys on OP's or when we went on patrols.

The Canadian rations back in the seventies were far Superior to the IMP's of today, we had mostly brand name products, Vienna wieners, Oh Henry bars, real peanut butter and jam. And then there was the Vietnam era rats in Germany, everything came in a can, fruit pound cake, something that looked like chicken, but tasted like dog food, egg's and sausage that gave you the runs for a week. And the can of real old stale crackers, yum...

I do agree that more thought should be put into rations, but usually the government goes with the lowest bidder to make them, so we end up with second rate food anyway.

As for the poor British chaps in Afghanistan, that's unacceptable the way their fed. I've had the opportunity on several occasions to eat in British mess halls in the UK and Germany and the food wasn't all bad, it takes getting used to. There not fed the portions like we are, but most of the food was fairly good.

Retiredgrunt,
I would tread easily on the comment "70s era ratpacks being far superior to today's IMPs"
been there & chowed down on that.  As you have pointed out, thing that looked like chicken tasted like dog food...
Chocolate bars that had gone white, Klick luncheon (mystery) meat, ham and (green) egg omlets, vienna cocktail weiners in lots of oil, tinned precooked bacon in greasy fat, Jumbalaya... :p yetch!

They did have sardines & the big box of crackers that went well with beer after endex...

Let us not forget cold bacon and fat in a tin, or the pleasures of powdered tea. I remember when the IMP's came in, they were a leap ahead of the old stuff.

LOL, the old stuff....
A "shoe box" loaded with tins of stuff you weren't allowed to eat cause they were past their shelf life :p
again, crackers & sardines were the best (of what was offered)

Let us not forget the Platoon ration packs - humongous tins of ham.... :p

3rd Herd said:
The latest on the British food crisis:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=475125&in_page_id=1811

'We shouldn't have to pay to send food parcels to our troops' says angry mum
Last updated at 17:33pm on 13th August 2007

Desperate Army wives, girlfriends and mothers are mailing food parcels to their loved ones fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan because they claim soldiers are not getting enough to eat.

Messages from troops in the Middle East say they are only getting proper meals every other day and have to exist in between on dried rations like those used by soldiers in the Second World War.

Now one mother Teresa Theobald has launched an on-line petition calling for the high cost of postage to be dropped - so families can send out basic food like rice and pasta to troops coming under daily attack in front line positions.
And she is organising a protest picket of the military sorting office in London from where the parcels are shipped overseas.

Teresa, whose 19-year-old son Graham is in Southern Afghanistan, spends £13 a week to send him food but claims some families cannot afford to post vital supplies to the trouble-torn regions.

"I am appalled - they say an Army marches on its stomach but according to hundreds of messages I am getting, soldiers out there are having to exist on rations for a lot of the time," said Theresa 41, from Ipswich, Suffolk.

"It is not luxuries we are sending out there - it is staple foods like rice and things like glucose powder. I have even tried sending Graham apples and biscuits but sometimes it can take up to a month for the parcels to get through to him.
"He is at a forward base where conditions are really appalling and the soldiers are suffering from dehydration and sickness. Sending food parcels is not just to boost their morale - it is to help them keep going.

"They give priority to things like ammunition but they also send out tonnes of flour for the local population who are being protected by soldiers who are not getting proper regular meals themselves."

The "Parcels for Free" petition - on Downing Street's website - has already attracted hundreds of names and the issue has been raised by Lib Dem leader Sir Menzies Campbell and the Tories' Dr Liam Fox.

Mother-of-five Theresa said: "The campaign is going really well and I have had backing from a colonel and a captain as well as many ex-servicemen. But the problem is that the Ministry of Defence say it is the Royal Mail who set the rates - while Royal Mail insist it is the Ministry of Defence.

"The point is that I can afford to pay the postage but I have heard from many desperate women who simply don't have the spare money to send food parcels to their loved one out there."

Des Browne, Secretary of State for Defence said: "The MoD makes no charge to carry postal packets through the British Forces Post Office system to personnel on operations.

"The cost that is payable is that charged by the Royal Mail to carry postal packets from local post offices to the BFPO depot at Mill Hill in London."

A spokesman for the MoD said that the cost of subsidising the parcels would be around £6million a year and the money would have to come from another part of the defence welfare budget.

I'm shocked... British people complaining about 1) food quality and 2) the quality of the Royal Mail. Just add 'the weather' and you've got the makings of a standard three hour bus stop conversation. If poor little Tommy Atkins isn't getting enough scoff, he can get his spotty botty down to the NAAFI for a good old egg banjo or a packet of hedgehog flavoured crisps. Unless you're up to your armpits in a trench somewhere, my experience was that there is a NAFFI co-located just about anywhere the army is based usually - and incongruously - staffed by a smiling Asian chap from Leeds on contract, with one or two family members, who will gladly relieve you of your readies while pointing out the bit a cam cream you've missed just behind the left ear.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/index.cfm?storyid=8D4CB204-1143-EC82-2E96FAA25D76D9E2

Royal Mail Announces Free Parcels for UK Troops Serving In Iraq and Afghanistan
Back to news article list

The Ministry of Defence has welcomed an announcement by the Royal Mail yesterday, Monday 20 August 2007 that they will be allowing free parcels to be sent to British troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The free parcel service will mean that families will be able to send parcels and packages up to a limit of 2kg for free until Christmas. The Royal Mail plans to conduct a review with the Ministry of Defence on how the free parcel service might be maintained after Christmas.

General Sir Richard Dannatt, Chief of General Staff, said:

"I am delighted by the support shown by the Royal Mail, and am extremely grateful; this decision to provide a free parcel service to troops serving in Iraq and Afghanistan will mean a great deal to our soldiers and to their families."

Bob Ainsworth, Minister for the Armed Forces added:

"This is great news. I think the troops out in Afghanistan and Iraq, and all their families, will be delighted that the Royal Mail have made this decision."

Royal Mail's Chairman, Allan Leighton, added:

"Royal Mail wants to see our frontline troops get as much support as possible. Royal Mail's postmen are already serving in many military bases, including in Afghanistan, helping provide postal services to the armed forces and we know how vitally important it is for frontline troops to get parcels from their loved ones at home.

"We're now urgently working with the British Forces Post Office to set up special arrangements to start as soon as possible for a free parcel service until Christmas so that friends and family can send free parcels to Afghanistan and Iraq. We'll be making an announcement with further details within days."

Royal Mail has a long and proud history of getting mail and parcels to the British armed forces around the world dating back to the formation of the Army Post Office Corps in 1882. Earlier this summer, Royal Mail provided a morale-boosting red postbox for troops in the Helmand province of Afghanistan as a reminder of home amid the harsh conditions on the front line.

Back