• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )

My stepson parades from that course next Wed., April 2, 2014 and he received final written confirmation today that he is definitely Trenton. Good thing too, cause his spouse said if it was Cold Lake, he was going by himself! LOL. They've been in PMQ's in Borden since Oct. 2012. He left 2RCR after 2.5 yrs in Gagetown.

Hello all,

I just accepted my VOT to AVN it only took me 8.5 years of playing in the dirt to see the blue light. right now, I'm just gathering info to satisfy my personal curiosity. Can anyone give me a rundown of what it's like serving on a ship with an Air Det? Pros Cons? Which coast is better?

Thanks folks.

Firstly, congratulations on your VOT!

Secondly, you are a loooong way away from going to sea. You cannot really sail without being type qualified and having your POM signed off. The reason for this is that there are not enough bunks avail to carry guys who are only apprentices.  After that, you will be put on the sea list.  The sea list ensures a (reasonably) equal distribution of the sailing opportunities. Expect to be on 423 or 443 Sqn 2 to 3 years before you sail for the first time.

Life on a ship is what you make it.  I find that if you dive right in and embrace shipboard life, it can be a lot of fun.

If you only hang out with the air dept and make no effort to meet people in other depts and find out what they do, it make for a long sail.

SeaKingTacco, thanks a lot for the answer!

I assumed you would need to be a qual'd tech before going to a ship but its nice to have a real answer. Also nice to know what Sqns will lead to that career path. One other question I have, well one of many to be honest. I almost fear asking b/c i know someone is going to say "the CF puts you where the CF wants you" which i realize I'm not new here just curious about my new trade. is there any leeway in the AVN world to select you one career path. like FW or RW or specific airframe. i have zero expectations of this happening I'm just wondering if it is a possibility. i am so excited to start this journey.

Also I just saw the almost same thread from 2005 thanks for giving me updated info and not just redirecting me.

Hello there. I was wondering if there was anybody on this forum who is currently on pat awaiting a course to start for avns in Borden. I graduate on the 21st from BMQ and will have to report on the 22nd to Borden. Any input would be appreciated

Joe

Hi everyone! thank you very much in advance for reading this. I applied on April and the application process has been faster than I thought. I am just waiting for background check to be done soon.

Initially, I have chosen AVS over AVN because I love Mathematics/Physics and was more interested in the technological side of the aircraft than the mechanical side. But I am still unsure whether I would like the electronics field that AVS deals with, since I haven't tasted what it is like to study one. So, I did thorough research here on army.ca forum over long periods of time about these two careers (have read almost every post about AVN/AVS using the search tool), but was left unsatisfied as to whether AVS would be an enjoyable career to me.

So I have managed to talk to a current AVN Tech in person who is working at Trenton for 5 years. He recommended me AVN over AVS because AVN deals with more broad areas and different aspects of the aircraft system in contrast to AVS who deals with the electronics system which is highly specialized that can get repetitive later on and perhaps get boring. And he also mentioned that it is better to remuster to FE (Flight Engineer) from AVN side than AVS because they know more about the structure of airplanes.

So I would like to request precious opinions and advices from AVN/AVS technicians who have been there already and hope to get some insight about these two trades. Thank you very much once again for reading this and helping me sir/mam in advance :)

I am a retired AVS tech and can give you a bit of info based on my career. First off going to flight engineer from AVN is the way to go as it is would certainly give you a solid background for FE if that is your goal.
I spent most of my career on fighters, CF-104 and CF-101, these aircraft plus the CF-18 have fighter control radar, computer systems and weapons that are complex and interesting. The aircraft themselves are front line fighters, high performance aircraft. Google can provide lots of info on this subject. Search around this site and you will find discussions by CF-18 techs and pilots.
As your AVN friend said from his experience on transport aircraft AVS looks fairly limited and boring which is somewhat true as the electronic systems are fairly straightforward in their purpose, navigation and communication. Nav and comm is needed on fighters also but the big challenge is the more advanced electronic systems on the aircraft. Read up on the CF-18 and other modern fighters F16, F22 these are the type of systems you will work on. If you love learning, AVS exposes you to a broad number of electronic systems and the computers to integrate them
Both are interesting trades and if you like aircraft as I did they make for a great career.

Good luck!

Baden Guy said:
I am a retired AVS tech and can give you a bit of info based on my career. First off going to flight engineer from AVN is the way to go as it is would certainly give you a solid background for FE if that is your goal.
I spent most of my career on fighters, CF-104 and CF-101, these aircraft plus the CF-18 have fighter control radar, computer systems and weapons that are complex and interesting. The aircraft themselves are front line fighters, high performance aircraft. Google can provide lots of info on this subject. Search around this site and you will find discussions by CF-18 techs and pilots.
As your AVN friend said from his experience on transport aircraft AVS looks fairly limited and boring which is somewhat true as the electronic systems are fairly straightforward in their purpose, navigation and communication. Nav and comm is needed on fighters also but the big challenge is the more advanced electronic systems on the aircraft. Read up on the CF-18 and other modern fighters F16, F22 these are the type of systems you will work on. If you love learning, AVS exposes you to a broad number of electronic systems and the computers to integrate them
Both are interesting trades and if you like aircraft as I did they make for a great career.

Good luck!

I express my utmost gratitude sir for your prompt and very detailed response!!! I have so much learned about AVS only from your post already sir and it certainly sounds fantastic! I love learning as if it gives meaning to this life and kindles my desire to learn more and benefit others!

Actually I was really hoping to get an response from you sir because as I searched through forums and realized you were an AVS Tech and I thank you very much for your invaluable post here  :D

Post your questions on this site and they will be available to all to answer.

Baden Guy said:
Post your questions on this site and they will be available to all to answer.

Oh ok sir! it was my purpose that others with same concerns and questions of mine would benefit from this discussion. I was just wondering if I would be possible to contact you later on if I am chosen as AVS. Haha understood sir :nod:

All these Sirs, and yet I think BG actually worked for a living.  >:D

PuckChaser said:
All these Sirs, and yet I think BG actually worked for a living.  >:D

Sorry if I was being burdensome for all these 'sirs' haha. I am from Asian culture where we younger ones show reverence and respect to the elders by alwaying calling them sir. Thanks for pointing this out!

Has anyone had the experience of going from being an AME in the civilian world to joining the CAF as an AVN tech?  I work with a few who have done the reverse, AVN to AME, but just looking for some perspective from those who have gone the opposite route.

Cheers

Good day all,

I've been cruising this forum since I found out I will be getting Medically COT'd. Lots of great information on here.

MY BPSO interview is on the 28th and i'm still torn between AVN and ACS. I've spoken to some dudes I know in either one and they are both appealing and suit my aptitude.

Just a couple points I am unclear on:

1. Which of them are most likely to result in shift work? If so, which postings automatically result in shift work? I'm hoping for either Trenton of 450 in Pet.

2. Which one yields the best equivalencies for civvy street? I only got 7 years left (5 after I'm potentially done QL3) and need to keep an eye on a well thought-out plan B.

3. Career progression? I understand I'm going back to being a Cpl, and I'm am more than ok with that, but which trade offers the most opportunities to diversify the skill set and/or specialize the earliest?

Please bear in mind, by no means do I fully plan on being in either of these trades, as the COT process is subject to quite a lot of variables and timing is key, but I want to get to that interview with a couple of COA's that will seem intelligent and thought-out.

Thanks to any and all responses to this.

Cheers!

1. Traditionally it's always been AVN/AVS on servicing crews, but that is slowly changing as ACS have adopted all the safety systems both on and off a/c. Depending on the unit, it may be anywhere from 1 or 2 ACS per crew all the way up to representing 1/3rd of the crew. Our bread and butter is still in the shops, so there is always going to be those spots available.

2. Can't comment on this sorry.

3. Skill wise, ACS. Within a year or two at your unit you could be sent off on an OSQ and come back the SME in a particular field like machining or welding. Diversity also goes to ACS, in that we are an amalgamation of several trades which in their own right could go back to being their own trades. You're never going to master them all, but putting in a request to be taken out of the running for promotions could have you spend enough time as Cpl to become damned competent at them all.

The PSO should be able to provide information on civilian equivalencies; it's been a while since I worked with PSOs regularly, but they used to have a shop in Ottawa dedicated to matching military and civilian qualifications.

I don't have direct experience, but have friends who are both AVN and ACS, as well my dad was AVN for 37 years, so I have some insight to the trades

AVN are maintainers. So you will be doing shift work. Planes need to be maintained, parked, started, both A and B Checks need to be completed 24/7 depending on the unit you end up with. Trenton, AVN are on a rotating shift if you are posted to say 8AMS ( 8 Aircraft maintenance Squadron). The majority of them all do shift work. If you are later in your career you could be posted to a squadron like 426 and be a trainer. They are strictly 7-4 type positions.

ACS are also doing shift work, but not as much as the AVN techs do. The majority that I worked with worked in 7-4 type jobs. Working in places like tire bay, refinishing shops (paint, welding etc).

Now, as to which is  better on civi street later in life, it really depends on what you hope to do after you retire from the CF. If you go ACS you could potentially have a welding certificate and other certificates that could be transferable to civi street or have to do a competency test to get.

Since the majority of AVN is repairing aircraft, you don't have much to take with you on civi street unless you want to try and get a PLAR and maybe get yourself a 310a or 310T ticket after you leave.

ACS IMHO would be best as you could do body repair, machining, welding, painting and such and have that specific knowledge to do a lot more then just repairs. Again this is my opinion from what I have seen.

As either you could luck in an be employed back into something like L3, Spar Aerospace and do the same job you did before. Also you could get on with air Canada and work directly for them with either trade as well.

So it all depends on what you want to do when you retire.

Hey guys,

Fantastic info. I really appreciate the help and will most likely ass all this to my thought process when it comes to requesting one.

Now all I can do is hope that either trade are available and open when I go in for my interview.

Cheers!

Just found out that only AVN is open right around now. So my choice is made for me. Now it's all a waiting game.

Be prepared for a flood of question posts while I become unhinged at the prospect of being a DP1 student again (j/k)

In all seriousness, you guys who offer good advice and answer questions on this board are stand-up people. Thanks one and all.

If someone could offer their services of being my question go-to person (via PM of course), that would be a bonus!

Cheers!

Back