• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Barriers to protect HMC Ships at dockyards

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
Barriers to protect HMC Ships at dockyards
By Virginia Beaton

HALIFAX - The Navy will be putting in protective barriers around Her Majesty's Canadian Ships in Halifax to assure a higher level of security.

"We know where we're going to put them, but the design or the product itself has not gone to Public Works for contracting for bidders," said Lieutenant-Commander (LCdr) Scott Tofflemire, Queen's Harbour Master. "So until that is all done, we won't have an idea what company is actually going to provide and meet our needs."

Maritime Forces Pacific (MARPAC) had built its own boom (or barrier) last year, "but it's a little cumbersome," said to LCdr Tofflemire. The project for the new security barriers is nationally driven, with the budget to be shared between the east and west coasts.

The east coast boom will define the dockyard areas where Navy ships are customarily berthed, said LCdr Tofflemire. This will provide protection against small vessels coming into the controlled access zones.                       

"It gives us a clear indication as to whether a small vessel intends to access our controlled access zone, or if it goes through it, then we have reasonable information that it is done with intent, which could possibly pose harm or a threat to our vessels or our infrastructure here at the dockyard," said LCdr Tofflemire.

This project has been under consideration for some time, he further explained. "This is not something we just thought about a few weeks ago. It had been looked at as early as April 2002, just after the Government of Canada put an Order in Council that DND is allowed to establish controlled access zones."

Since that time, the Navy has been looking at ways to better define these controlled access zones and provide protection for key assets.

"It's just one more measure that we are putting in place."

The purchase and installation of the new barriers is expected to be completed by the end of March 2006.

I wonder if it will ever come down to each ship when deployed taking a portable barrier with them? The problem with that is space and weight considerations onboard.

I would anticipate that only the tanker would be able to carry her own portable barrier, but we would be probably be limited to ports that we could transport the barrier to or those who could provide a barrier.

Navalsnipr said:
I would anticipate that only the tanker would be able to carry her own portable barrier, but we would be probably be limited to ports that we could transport the barrier to or those who could provide a barrier.

Agreed...that is if she ever gets her problems fixed. ::)

maybe the barrier will lock us in and we cant leave.. ;D

HFXCrow said:
maybe the barrier will lock us in and we cant leave.. ;D

OOO I can see jokes about loosing the key to the harbor percolating in the wings  ;D

HFXCrow said:
"who had the key last"..

Who Cares.... There is always a Master Key around

boltcut2.jpg

This reminds me of when the Port Security Unit in Victoria first set up the concrete obstacle barricades at the entrance to the base.  They were placed before the gate so that vehicles would have to slow down to avoid the barricades and not be able to rush the base entrance - but they were only set up across the incoming traffic lane.  The outgoing lane right next to it was left as clear and unobstructed as ever.  Apparently the chances that Osama & Co. might consider being radical enough to drive an explosives-laden van through the exit lane was considered pretty far-out by the PSU's crackerjack CO.

How will these booms differ from the logs they've now? (In Esquimalt, at least.)  Man-made, I suppose, but what will they look like?

Sailing Instructor said:
How will these booms differ from the logs they've now? (In Esquimalt, at least.)   Man-made, I suppose, but what will they look like?

That approaches on OPSEC so we are not going to go there.

Sailing Instructor said:
How will these booms differ from the logs they've now? (In Esquimalt, at least.)   Man-made, I suppose, but what will they look like?

At least with a structured barrier, then the public will know where the "line not to cross" is. With the hazard buoys currently in place
25.jpg
, depending on what approach you made, you may not see the buoy in the first place.

What!.....You are not going to sail around with rolls of Razor Wire stacked on your forward decks?

That may be a good idea... except all the sailors would think its an secretive plan to get them to start shaving!!

Back