• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic starts this weekend. what to expect, any advice?

Jblack902

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

First time posting on this site.
I have used this site as a resource through my application, testing  and interview journey.
I applied to the Navy this past December. I originally wanted to take the education/officer route and went as far as writing the Maritime Officer Selection Test.
After passing the test I had to make a hard decision about how I would join. As a 32 year old(kind of) adult with a mortgage and other financial commitments each month, my wife and I decided we couldn't afford to stay above water each month while I took education.
I decided to enter the NCM route. I gave a hard choice of WENG tech and the phone call came in early April.
I have been sworn in and I am headed off to QC this coming saturday.
I am wondering if anyone has any advice about military training as an older recruit. Everyone at the induction ceremony was 10 or so years younger than I am.
I am sure I will be a little different than your average recruit , in some ways i think that can be an advantage but not in all avenues.
Any "basic" advice would be great.
Thank you all

I was 44yo when I joined CAF in the Reserve side so I still had 12 years on you. Some in my serial were your age and they "got it". I have always said it was a game the Instructors played, I am not sure if it is the same at CFLRS, but recognize it and have fun.
The teens always freaked out over everything told to them.
Whatever you are told to do, just do it. Don't try to say "In the civvy world we did it this way." IT WILL NEVER WORK, it just draws attention to you.
The young ones will do something stupid, you can try to prevent a shitty outcome with words of wisdom, but usually just let them go at it. It will be a life lesson for them, you ALL will pay for it and it will be a good story at grad parade.

Keep your kit clean, shiny and squared away, you will make it through.

Stay cool

Basically Bmq will be like a supreme punch in the face for 8 weeks straight

like the worst nightmare you ever had times 4

prepare your mind and body  its gunna be a barn burna!!!    :waiting:

There was a 50 something old guy on my basic and he passed, just realize it's all a game and you'll be fine. Absorb as much information as you can, help out others when you can, all good.

Ironman118 said:
There was a 50 something old guy on my basic and he passed, just realize it's all a game and you'll be fine. Absorb as much information as you can, help out others when you can, all good.

The bolded 100%.

Something I wish I had realized back during in infantry officer/Phase training days. Looking back on it I now see it, but at the time (as a 19, 20, 21 yo.) I didn't understand this and therefore found things much more stressful and confusing than it should have been.

I'm actually looking forward to playing that game again with my new perspective 20 years later. Albeit at a reduced level as the CIC training is not that intense ... but I've been told it still has aspects of "the game".

Back