• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being a Good Officer/CI/CV

LittleBlackDevil said:
I think I am able to parse the Navy to Army translation, thanks :)
I meant whatever you end up using! Always interesting to see what adaptations other units make.
[quote author=LittleBlackDevil]I've not been doing the Sup O think for a few weeks. Slowly figuring things out and developing my own systems for doing things. There was basically no system in place as there had been no Sup O for some time and the Trg O was trying to do what he could when he had time (which wasn't often). Right now my parade nights are crazy busy trying to get things up to a normal standard. I spent an afternoon at the armouries on an off day over Xmas break and at least got all the uniforms ordered.[/quote]Good luck! I've taken over a couple of corps stores after a period of neglect: it's a bit of a task.
[quote author=LittleBlackDevil]The cadet they assigned me as assistant is very diligent and has very good initiative so this has helped immensely. He was sick before Xmas so last night was the first time I had him with me and I feel like I accomplished 10x more with him than when I was solo.[/quote]Fantastic! One of the best parts of the gig; even better when your "right hand" is solid enough to start training their own replacement.
[quote author=LittleBlackDevil]This would be a lot easier if I actually had the Sup O/Stores training course, or at least the basic CIC BMOQ but I am muddling my way through and having the experience of being Assistant Adjutant of my infantry regiment back in the day helps since I at least understand the basic concepts.[/quote]Haven't done the most recent iteration of the Sup O course, but doubt it's changed much: by the time you've got your unit stores rolling, and have done a few orders on Logistik, plus your prior experience, you'll likely have OJT'd most of the content.
[quote author=LittleBlackDevil]Anyway, overall somewhat to my surprise I am REALLY enjoying my job as Sup O and really enjoying the cadets themselves. Our corps is a good group. They deserve a fully functional corps and every week I feel that the staff is moving further along that trajectory. Taking all the stores responsibilities off the Trg O's shoulders should help him too I know he was feeling pretty stressed out.[/quote]Once things get settled in, I expect you'll find yourself able (especially with a good cadet in the department) to take on enough other duties and projects to keep things interesting.

Thanks for the encouragement!

quadrapiper said:
Once things get settled in, I expect you'll find yourself able (especially with a good cadet in the department) to take on enough other duties and projects to keep things interesting.

Yes, I hope so, because the only downside to what I'm doing now is that I don't have a lot of interaction with the cadets because I'm always in the storage locker doing stuff. But I can see this won't be a forever thing -- our corps isn't that big so once I've got everything squared away, the stores-related demands on my time will be greatly diminished.

I really want to get into doing some instruction eventually.

LittleBlackDevil said:
Thanks for the encouragement!

Yes, I hope so, because the only downside to what I'm doing now is that I don't have a lot of interaction with the cadets because I'm always in the storage locker doing stuff. But I can see this won't be a forever thing -- our corps isn't that big so once I've got everything squared away, the stores-related demands on my time will be greatly diminished.

I really want to get into doing some instruction eventually.

Get some of the Gold Star cadets to train you up in something. It's a good morale builder for them, and will impress the he** out of you :)

Back