• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Being an RCMP Auxiliary Constable while in CAF (merged)

SLC

Inactive
Reaction score
I just got a few questions as to how to become an Auxiliary RCMP member.

1. Age requirement.
2. Education level.
3. Physical and Medical Standard.
4. Application process - (length of time and documentation required).
5. Type of training they go through also when and where they usually take place.
6. Driving restruction?
7. Time committment (once or twice a week?)

Is the standard the same across the country?  I currently reside in Kamloops, BC.

Thank you in advance :)

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/bc/lmd/surrey/content/services/ap_e.htm

That information is from Surrey Detachment, but most of it should be applicable. 

Myself and another member from my detachment are both Kamloops boys.  Great town.

Stu

I looked into doing some time with the auxiliary but when asked if I had plans to join the reg force in the future, and I answered yes, the Cpl  in charge told me they frown apon training an auxiliary if he/she plans to join the reg force rcmp. Just my two cents.

Um... you are quite mistaken.

The Detachements do not like to train Auxiliary Members just to have them exit the door right away. They normally impose a rule, for example, if you have an application in the process, or plan on joinging in the next while, dont bother. They would like you to stay on board for at least 2 years. This way, the money that they have invested into you is some what paid back and they can also get a better picture of you, when the recruiting member calls them for a reference check.

You make a good point,

However I was only relaying what was told to me by a certain Corporal who runs the Mission BC Aux program.  All your points make very good sense. The Cpl told me however he wouldn't take me because I planned to join the reg F. He said it wasn't anything personal, obviously, but he wants people he can have for a LONG time. Just what I have experienced. I am not trying to deter anyone from doing aux program.

Fair enough :) the Auxiliary program is one of the best volunteering options there are out there for individuals who want to become a regular member. However, you have to watch yourself, if you want become an auxiliary, it's a good way to get your foot in the door and see what it's going to be like later on. If Mission doesnt want you, you can try other places. Other cities. Some places will make exceptions.

Wait... unless when you say regular force you meant Reg Force CF?

The RCMP calls their full-time members, Regular Members, and Auxiliaries, well... Auxiliary Members :D there's no reserves in RCMP and hence no reg force ;)

MedTech said:
Fair enough :) the Auxiliary program is one of the best volunteering options there are out there for individuals who want to become a regular member. However, you have to watch yourself, if you want become an auxiliary, it's a good way to get your foot in the door and see what it's going to be like later on. If Mission doesnt want you, you can try other places. Other cities. Some places will make exceptions.

Wait... unless when you say regular force you meant Reg Force CF?

The RCMP calls their full-time members, Regular Members, and Auxiliaries, well... Auxiliary Members :D there's no reserves in RCMP and hence no reg force ;)

Yes I think the auxiliary program would be great to do, test the waters so to say, and see if a career in policing is something you would like to do. I might try another city, I am just trying to figure out if I want to do more schooling or go back to the application process in September ( I was defered a year ). Sorry I meant full time member of the RCMP, not Reg F CF. Sorry for the confusion, I am so used to seeing Reg F on here that I mixed myself up.

Meh I was deffered for 2 years and its coming up. I'm not in a rush to re-apply. I think you should finish your education. No matter what happens, no one can take your education away from you. I'm finishing my degree, then a tour or two in the Box, and then a few postings, travel, get more life experience THEN and only THEN will I re-apply. Good luck to you though :)

Are there any reg force members here who are with the RCMP auxiliary? I have a few friends who are reg force and OPP Auxiliary but I have questions and thought I would try to find a CF member who might be a SME specific to RCMP aux. Thanks.

send me a PM and I may be able to track you down some info if you ask me specific questions.

G'day all,

For a little background, I joined as an Artillery Reservist in 2005 and remusted to AES Op in 2009 Reg Force.  I've been on squadron for almost a year now in the CP-140 Aurora fleet.

Before remustering to the Reg Force, I was a Reserve Constable in a municipal Police department.  When I transferred Reg Force my OJT while completing my 2 years worth of training, was in the same city.  My supervisors knew about my volunteering and approved for me to continue.

I've since moved to an operational squadron for my operational tour and switched to the R.C.M.P. detachment's auxiliary program as a direct transfer from the municipal department I was apart of.

All of a sudden, I've been asked to submit memo upon memo asking for permission to volunteer.  It has since been returned to me asking to provide a reference which states whether or not full-time Reg Force members, can volunteer in the R.C.M.P. as an Auxiliary Constable.

I've searched DAOD's, QR&O's, CFAO's, NDA, 1 CDN Air Div orders, and have come up empty handed.  I'm wondering if anyone here has past experience with this or have a far superior searching capability than I.

Hope I can find an answer soon.

Cheers,

[mountie]

I believe it is possible but, in my experience, such volunteer duty is incompatible ( very difficult at the very least) with the demands ( frequent no-notice  flights and/or deployments, rapidly changing schedules) of the job on CP-140 operational squadrons.

Both organizations are aware my priorities lie with the RCAF, and will always be as such.  Everything I do the Auxiliary is on my own time.  Any injuries or issues, are at no cost to the DND as was stated in my memo.  I've laid it out quite clearly, I'm just now being asked to provide a Ref.

PewPew said:
Both organizations are aware my priorities lie with the RCAF, and will always be as such.  Everything I do the Auxiliary is on my own time.  Any injuries or issues, are at no cost to the DND as was stated in my memo.  I've laid it out quite clearly, I'm just now being asked to provide a Ref.

I looked into doing the same a few years ago but gave up for various reasons. I'm not at work at the moment but when i get back on Monday, i will try and have a look for you and see what i can find.

CDN Aviator said:
I looked into doing the same a few years ago but gave up for various reasons. I'm not at work at the moment but when i get back on Monday, i will try and have a look for you and see what i can find.

Cheers, I appreciate that.  I'm definitely looking forward to exiting the stuffyness of the hangar to the Plus 20's we're getting here on the west coast!

I was the Aux Co ordinator at the local detachment.  At that time, there was a a list of persons who could not be employed as Auxiliary Cst, that list included members of the CF.

The CF isn't worried about the cost if you get injured, they are worried about your not being able to contribute to your primary job if injured.

Rhodesian said:
I was the Aux Co ordinator at the local detachment.  At that time, there was a a list of persons who could not be employed as Auxiliary Cst, that list included members of the CF.

I remember being told the exact same thing by the very detachment where PewPew is located.

Back