• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Better roles for the CH-149

Kind of like how we also own the entire world supply of 14 Cormorants 😏

We give special a whole new meaning, don't we?

Yes, yes we do....

1625775512183.png

Enjoy This Walkaround Tour Of The New HH-60W Jolly Green II Combat Rescue Helicopter - 10 Jul 21​

Could be used as a SAR?

Enjoy This Walkaround Tour Of The New HH-60W Jolly Green II Combat Rescue Helicopter - 10 Jul 21​

Could be used as a SAR?
Sure, but that's overkill for Canada as we don't have a Combat SAR capability. Our SAR Techs are domestic only.

I'm also surprised that they "just" have an MX-10 camera. I would have thought they'd have at least an MX-15 (which is what our Griffons have).

…or ‘underkill’ for a domestic National SAR helicopter for a massive country/AOR, if you’re thinking of outright replacing the CH-149. There was a solid group of reasons why the ‘MapleHawk’ wasn’t selected for CSH back in the 90s…this is lipstick on the old UH-60A based HH-60G. I kind of chuckled a bit hearing it called a Jolly Green II…I know a ‘Nam-era HH-3 bubba who shook his head when the 60W name was announced…

Sure, but that's overkill for Canada as we don't have a Combat SAR capability. Our SAR Techs are domestic only.

I'm also surprised that they "just" have an MX-10 camera. I would have thought they'd have at least an MX-15 (which is what our Griffons have).
Maybe based on weight restriction. New gen MX-10 are 10x better than older gen MX-15. Used one with WPS helo and I was impressed.

We should just jump into the UK New Medium Helicopter project. Project is to replace Bell 212, 412 and their Dauphins. Jump into it now and in 10-15yrs you could start replacing the Cormorants and Griffons.

I think Airbus and Bell have considerable presence here for existing aircraft and offer their own - new - aircraft.

…or ‘underkill’ for a domestic National SAR helicopter for a massive country/AOR, if you’re thinking of outright replacing the CH-149. There was a solid group of reasons why the ‘MapleHawk’ wasn’t selected for CSH back in the 90s…this is lipstick on the old UH-60A based HH-60G. I kind of chuckled a bit hearing it called a Jolly Green II…I know a ‘Nam-era HH-3 bubba who shook his head when the 60W name was announced…
Go big or go home Sikorsky CH-53K King Stallion - Wikipedia

Like the Hawks from 4 Wing that actually operate at 15 Wing.

And 2 Wing, which is located at 3 Wing.

The RCAF term ‘Wing’ sometimes refers to a geographically dispersed formation, sometimes to a specific garrison, and sometimes to both at the same time. This can confuse outsiders, it certainly confuses me.

The RCAF term ‘Wing’ sometimes refers to a geographically dispersed formation, sometimes to a specific garrison, and sometimes to both at the same time. This can confuse outsiders, it certainly confuses me.
Absolutely. Back in the day, it was clear. An RCAF Station was a base, and an RCAF Wing was an operational entity. Now it is definitely blurred.

Don't forget 1 Wing, which is all over the place.

Like the Hawks from 4 Wing that actually operate at 15 Wing.
You mean the 15 Wing Hawks operated by 419 Sqn at CFB Cold Lake?

Both 2 and 3 Wing are lodged at CFB Bagotville. 2 Wing is not located at 3 Wing.

Back in the day, it was clear. An RCAF Station was a base, and an RCAF Wing was an operational entity.
Sounds like a proposal that can firewall someone's "leading change" bubbles to the right :sneaky:

ETA: The change (I guess?) could be even easier. Just get rid of the "XX Wing" designations for locations, and call it "CFB Whatever". So, for example, the 2 Wing Commander would work with the BComd of CFB Bagotville.

Last edited:
435 in Winnipeg is part of 19 Wing Comox. Also the 149 is the cormorant so we’ve got this discussion in the wrong thread.

Back