• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Blachwatch finished?

gozonuts

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I was watching CNN the other day which was reporting on the increasing violence in Fallujah (sorry about spelling) and it mentioned that the Blackwatch was sent in to relieve American troops and that this regiment was to be disbanded due to budget cut in the military.  Say it isn't so! First Canada's Blackwatch cut down to a reserve force now it's mother regiment will totally disapear? I hope I heard wrong!

gozonuts said:
I was watching CNN the other day which was reporting on the increasing violence in Fallujah (sorry about spelling) and it mentioned that the Blackwatch was sent in to relieve American troops and that this regiment was to be disbanded due to budget cut in the military.  Say it isn't so! First Canada's Blackwatch cut down to a reserve force now it's mother regiment will totally disapear? I hope I heard wrong!

The Royal Scots were the ones on the chopping block last I heard, not the Black Watch.  One is the senior regiment of the entire British army, the other is the senior Highland regiment.

From what I understand, several regiments are being combined into one for cost cutting purposes. I was told this by a British recruiting officer today: The Blackwatch regiment is on this list. and the soldiers will still be there but the Blackwatch regiment name etc. will no longer be used. So unless there are changes to this restructuring, the Blackwatch will disappear. Hopeflully that recruiter was mistaken. He also went on about what tough job they have in Iraq right now. (That is all too true)

Was it shown on CNN  and CBC that 3 blackwatch soldiers were killed in Iraq a few days ago? Also a few more were maimed from a suicide bomber yesterday.

Another variant I heard was the the Regimental Family will disappear but the Hackle will be retained, as in 1st Battalion Blair's Scots (The Black Watch or RHR). 

One Colonel-in-Chief for all the "regiments".  Troops moving from mountain to light to mech to armoured roles would change cap badges as they moved around within the regiment from role to role.

Just one more rumour - no hard facts.

The fight to preserve the regiments continues but it may be a rear-guard action.

Cheers.

There is a little bit on this topic here:   http://army.ca/forums/threads/21895.0.html

Cheers.

Back