• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

Wow, rant much?

upandatom said:
By the time a member succesfully passes basic, SQ etc and maybe even all glory PLQ at some point, they wont want to talk to the nagging wife as much.

Oh, and just to be fair, how about the a$$hole husband?  ::)

Believe me, I've made several search attempts.
My question doesnt pertain to electronics, however it does involve a leisure activity.

I own the game 'cards against humamity', now, im sure most of you are aware it is a hilariously disgusting card game where you match up rude answers to even more rude questions. Would it be worth while to bring it for the potential down time on some weekends to play with the guys/girls of my platoon?

I know it would have to stay in civi lockup whilst on course, I was just wondering if it would impose on any sort of contraband rule.

Thanks

When you get your weekends off, one of the last things you want to do is spend even more time with the people you work and live with 24 hours/day.  Use your free weekends for "alone" time.

That's my  :2c:.

Your luggage will not be placed with care in the civi lockup (our course had a spare room stuffed to the gills with winter kit in a second kit bag and personal luggage), it was always a free for all every friday  and sunday night so it might get destroyed unless u have a pelican style plastic brief case it would be something to play when your on weekend fire watch or whatever, however the first 3-4 weeks you will be too busy on the weekends sewing name tags on your stuff in your spare time.

Take the cards with you. You may not get a chance to use them on BMQ but after that you will most likely goto PAT and have a lot of time to kill while waiting for trades training. You may even get some use out of them after that. On my QL3s we were not allowed electronics for the first few months but passed quite a few nights/weekends playing board games.

You will most likely go straight from BMQ to PAT, BMQ-L and then your DP 1. Don't just pack for basic, pack for what comes after as well.

Sounds good! Ill probably store them in tgeir original boxes, inside another box filled with bubble wrap then since pelican cases cost upwards of 150$ for anything witg strength.

Thanks guys! Im expecting a newborn within 3 weeks of my finish date for basic so im going to see about being on leave if im in waiting for trade training (infantry anyways).

Two boxes and bubble wrap? That is a lot of room to take up.

A Pelican 1060 Micro Case starts at about $30 on Amazon. I think that is the one I have. I can fit Munchkin, two expansions and a deck of cards in there. Even if that is too small, take a look around there are a lot of options much cheaper than $150. And later on a small pelican case is a handy thing to have.

The box doesnt take all that much space, its about 3/4 the size of a Kleenex box including the 2 expansions ive got. Ill look into that case though. Thanks.

Hello
The first 5 weeks that we cant go out or receive visits, can we make calls? Use internet? Communicate with family??? How often???
Thanks

Asked and answered hundreds of times.

Please READ what was posted in this now MERGED THREAD.

Hi everyone,

I am very new at this, so I apologize if I get any terms wrong.
My significant other will be going to BMOQ January 13th.  I know there is a strict rule for the indoctrination period such as new visits or cellphones.
I was wondering if these rules about the cellphone are true? Someone told me that it depends on how your group is, and sometimes during that first month you might have access to your cellphone only at night for a very very short period of time. Do any of you know? From experience?

Second, if they cannot be used, can phone calls be made using the base phone?
Third, can letters be sent back and forth during that first month?

This is all very new to me so I am just wondering!

cleisure123 said:
I was wondering if these rules about the cellphone are true? Someone told me that it depends on how your group is, and sometimes during that first month you might have access to your cellphone only at night for a very very short period of time. Do any of you know? From experience?

"•Phones can be used on weeknights after training has concluded but no earlier than 6:00 pm. Reasonable usage should be restricted to communications with family and friends;"
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page

Extra Kit on BMQ ? Cameras, Cell Phones, Laptops.. 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/12730.75

cleisure123 said:
Hi everyone,

I am very new at this, so I apologize if I get any terms wrong.
My significant other will be going to BMOQ January 13th.  I know there is a strict rule for the indoctrination period such as new visits or cellphones.

This is all very new to me so I am just wondering!

(I’m NCM, not Officer. But I’ve heard all the same applies for what I’m about to say.)

Cell phone usage and the level of strictness imposed by the staff varies from pl to pl.

There will be times when phone usage/contact will be cut-off completely for at least a few days. (I.e field, punishment, etc.)

There are payphones on every floor. Phone cards can be purchased. When/if the recruit/cadet gets to use them if cell phones are confiscated varies.

You can mail letters to your SO at any point. When they get them and whether or not they’ll have a chance to respond varies. (Mail has to get sorted and dispersed once it arrives to the school.)

Every platoon is run differently. While all platoons will more or less experience the same inconveniences at one point or another, it’s up to the staff how strict they decide to be with certain things during course.

cleisure123 said:

BMQ / BMOQ Pay phones
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&ei=Ru4tWsz_HeaMjwTItqyoBA&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+bmq+%22pay+phone%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+bmq+%22pay+phone%22&gs_l=psy-ab.3...7842.7842.0.9089.1.1.0.0.0.0.68.68.1.1.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.N1lP-wgheHY

cleisure123 said:

BMQ / BMOQ - Mail, Care Packages ect... [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/29576.50.html
3 pages.

[quote author=BeyondTheNow]
There will be times when phone usage/contact will be cut-off completely for at least a few days. (I.e field, punishment, etc.)

[/quote]

Or two weeks  :tsktsk:

Jarnhamar said:
Or two weeks  :tsktsk:

Yep, this is true. My usage of “...at least...” covers the bare minimum there.

Side note: Tbh, I’m a little unsympathetic with the electronics issue while on course. I have a child, I have a family, I have friends, etc., so I know the feeling. I did my research and when it came time to head out I prepared everyone for the possibility that they may not hear from me for the duration. Why? Because I had no idea, other than reading about other’s accounts, what it was going to be like. I simply chose to prepare for worst-case scenario. That way, there are no false expectations or hurt feelings for anyone else or for me. It was just easier.

I'd take cell phones away for a month if I could, or at the very least lock them up during the week (and on weekends when recruits are confined to base).  :nod:

Another thing that works is making a small 9 foot by 9 foot "box" out of pickets and mine tape and only let students use their cellphones in that "secure" box.

Jarnhamar said:
I'd take cell phones away for a month if I could, or at the very least lock them up during the week (and on weekends when recruits are confined to base).  :nod:

Another thing that works is making a small 9 foot by 9 foot "box" out of pickets and mine tape and only let students use their cellphones in that "secure" box.

I think you were one of my instructors.  ;D  ;)

I just enlisted and am waiting on a job offer. I'm not up to speed on military terms and was just wondering what VR'd means? I saw somebody post about how allowing recruits to have their cellphones reduced the VR rate by 66% so I was curious.

"Just wondering what VR'd means?"

Voluntary Release

Back