• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ soon. Any helpful tips?

• Thread starter Thread starter Johnny Canuck.
  • Start date Start date
J

Johnny Canuck.

I'm starting BMQ soon and I don't really know what to expect.  ???
I've been training for a while now and consider myself to be in pretty decent shape. I have only really heard about the runs that I'll be expected to go on, but not much else. If anyone has some useful tidbits that could better inform/prepare me, it would be greatly appreciated.

The army LT at the Calgary Recruiting office talked about this with me, and he told me, and I quote:

"You could go in as the Hulk, ready to tear the walls apart, or as Mr Tweedy, a man so thin he'd blow away in the wind. It's not so much your PHYSICAL state as much as your MENTAL state. Be dedicated. Be motivated. And remember, you're in a team environment, so rely on your teammates, help them out too, and you WILL make it it through BMQ"

Again, I must state that these are not my words, but the words of someone that's been there

Johnny Canuck. said:
I've been training for a while now and consider myself to be in pretty decent shape. I have only really heard about the runs that I'll be expected to go on, but not much else. If anyone has some useful tidbits that could better inform/prepare me, it would be greatly appreciated.

read the faq's

Johnny Canuck. said:
I'm starting BMQ soon and I don't really know what to expect.   ???

When do you start BMQ?

Thanks. I'm still new...so, I'm just starting to navigate this site.

When do you start BMQ?

I start at the end of this week.

Johnny Canuck. said:

Have you reviewed the relevant threads in the Recruiting FAQ?:

http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101/post-103989.html#msg103989

Thanks a LOT! That info was exactly the type of thing that I was looking for.  :salute:

I'm finishing my BMQ next weekend. My advice...teamwork teamwork teamwork! The instructors stress teamwork all the time. If they tell you to grab your kit and get on the parade square ASAP don't just grab your kit and run to try to be the first one down there. Grab your stuff and see if anyone else needs help carrying theirs down as well. The instructors notice little things like that.

Also, remember that nothign is personal. Some people have a tough time getting reemed out on morning inspection. Just keep in your head that it's nothign personal and you'll get through it.

Johnny Canuck. said:
When do you start BMQ?

I start at the end of this week.

I start at the end of this week as well.  My train leaves on Sunday and my course starts on Tuesday.  My course # is 0202.  What is yours?  Maybe we are on the same one.

Johnny Canuck. said:
I'm starting BMQ soon and I don't really know what to expect.   ???

keep a very open mind. everytime you think you cannot do something, tell yourself over and over in your head "i can do this". never take anything anyone says personally, it will always make for some good laughs later on. ALWAYS be 5 or 10 minutes early for every timing you are given. if you are on time, you are late. keep that in mind.

good luck to you. have fun.

armygal said:
I start at the end of this week as well.   My train leaves on Sunday and my course starts on Tuesday.   My course # is 0202.   What is yours?   Maybe we are on the same one.

It begins this Friday in Halifax and goes until Sunday. I'm not sure of the number assigned to it.

Helpful tips....Don't stand out.  Don't make a weblog that the instructors can find.  And it is mostly mental but being in shape will not hurt.  Teamwork is also a major part, but don't completely sacrifice yourself.  We have a guy on course right now who does that and I don't think it helped him much.  If you are done your stuff, help someone. Also STANDARDIZE.  That was the thing that we caught crap for the most.  Make sure everyone is the same.  PM me if you want some more tips.

Yes standardization is KEY!!!!  If you think you can make something better for inspection, you better make sure everyone else does it too.  Or else you'll be accused of thinking you're different or better than everyone else.

Back