• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boonie Hat Dress Regulations

2bird

Reaction score
Can't seem to find dress registrations for the Boonie Hat.

I've seen it worn "a la John Wayne" western style, with brim up with chin cord up on-top,
folded into a baseball cap with front brim out and sides tucked under...

Both seem ridiculous and counterintuitive to the intended function of this piece of kit; anyways where can I find pictures or explanations on the proper wearing of the Boonie Hat.

FIELD COMBAT CLOTHING​

1. There are no separate dress orders since combat clothing is designed to be adjusted for individual comfort and tasks. However, commanders may specify consistency if uniformity of appearance is important on some occasions.
  2. Combat clothing (CADPAT) is designed for subdued appearance in tactical situations. Common rank slip- ons are worn and match this appearance.
  3. The following non-operational headdress may be worn if the situation permits, and are the norm for the unit outside of field operations and training: beret, wedge cap, toque, turban, balmoral, glengarry, caubeen and khaki tam-o’-shanter (see Headdress Policy, Chapter 5, Section 1, paragraphs 2. to 6.).
  4. Shoulder titles are worn on combat slip-ons unless ordered removed for operational reasons. See Chapter 3, Section 5, paragraph 9. for patterns and supply.

On the old field hats (the old Robin Hood bush caps), in theory/allegedly (according to my first RSM), the sides/back were supposed to be flipped up and he demanded that when we were in bivouac - we said "yeah whatever Sir" and just wore a field beret. If you are a supervisor and this is a hill you want to die on, refer to Article 7 above, otherwise, that be it that I could find.

Can't seem to find dress registrations for the Boonie Hat.

I've seen it worn "a la John Wayne" western style, with brim up with chin cord up on-top,
folded into a baseball cap with front brim out and sides tucked under...

Both seem ridiculous and counterintuitive to the intended function of this piece of kit; anyways where can I find pictures or explanations on the proper wearing of the Boonie Hat.
Medicineman posted a good reference.

I’ve worn it different ways as the situation dictated. On the range with ear defenders I like to flip up the sides so the ear defenders sit properly. On night recce patrols I did the same so I had better hearing.

Situation dictated.

On the old field hats (the old Robin Hood bush caps), in theory/allegedly (according to my first RSM), the sides/back were supposed to be flipped up and he demanded that when we were in bivouac - we said "yeah whatever Sir" and just wore a field beret.
Initially the "combat hat" or "combat cap" was definitely worn with the sides and back flipped up in garrison. It replaced the "bush cap" which was a completely different article worn with FSOD (field summer olive drab) and with the "bush jacket". All went out with the issue of "combats."

Wolf CFOCS Venture Esquimalt 1969.jpg

There were no "field berets." The combat hat was worn in garrison and in the field albeit in the field the rim could optionally be turned down (and, of course, there were regiments and RSMs with personal quiffs on that issue)

Eventually, at some point in the 70s, the beret came back into vogue (as a morale item) and replaced the combat cap for many units. In one unit we were mandated to wear berets in the field rather than combat hats. Personally, I hated the beret as an item of field wear.

Wolf G Bty-Z Bty 3 RCHA Flyover Germany Winter 1980.jpg

🍻

Initially the "combat hat" or "combat cap" was definitely worn with the sides and back flipped up in garrison. It replaced the "bush cap" which was a completely different article worn with FSOD (field summer olive drab) and with the "bush jacket". All went out with the issue of "combats."

View attachment 87958

There were no "field berets." The combat hat was worn in garrison and in the field albeit in the field the rim could optionally be turned down (and, of course, there were regiments and RSMs with personal quiffs on that issue)

Eventually, at some point in the 70s, the beret came back into vogue (as a morale item) and replaced the combat cap for many units. In one unit we were mandated to wear berets in the field rather than combat hats. Personally, I hated the beret as an item of field wear.

View attachment 87957

🍻
In the case of my unit, we largely all had a second beret for field wear while in bivouac if we so chose - this was late 80's/early 90's, well post combats being new and we tended to call them bush hats, even though there are certainly different connotations to that. Many chose to wear them in lieu of "flaps up", as many of us viewed that look as, ummm, mentally challenged in today's vernacular. There were some folks that did some pretty wacked out things with their hats though - cut the rims, wired them up, etc. I liked to wear mine, but with the sides down - water ran off, sun stayed off my ears, etc - as soon as we left the biv, it, my touque or my Noggin Protector, Steel, Allegedly Impermeable went on as dictated by exercise/tactical situation. I look at it as it was our way to stick it to the Man :cool: .

View attachment 87958

View attachment 87957

🍻

Helmets: at least they're waterproof ;)

Do you still have to wear gloves if you are wearing a helmet?

trainwreck GIF

We wore berets in the field for the same reason that the Armour Corps originally adopted them.

And you can thank the Essex Regiment (Tank)😉

The combat cap was issued but hardly ever worn in the Corps.

We wore berets in the field for the same reason that the Armour Corps originally adopted them.

And you can thank the Essex Regiment (Tank)😉

The combat cap was issued but hardly ever worn in the Corps.
I always thought it was because the RTR wore them after having copied them from the German Panzer Korps who copied them from French Chasseurs.

(Yeah - I made all that up - but it could have happened :giggle: )

🍻

I can remember in the mid 80’s, maybe ‘84, the CO of Gatineau walking on to the bridge wearing a baseball cap that made him look like the truck driver in Smokey in the Bandit. Nobody laughed but godd*m it was hard not to. Sure enough, next morning there was a line up at the canteen and soon everyone was buying and wearing them. We felt like rebels.

Back